• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Game Notes - Dolphins at Panthers

Jeremy Igo

A few items of interest for you fine folks... 

THE SERIES

·         Today’s game was the sixth contest between the Panthers and Dolphins.

·         With the win, Carolina is now 2-4 all-time against Miami, defeating the Dolphins at home for the first time in franchise history.

PANTHERS OFFENSE SETS RECORDS

·         Carolina set a new franchise record with 548 total net yards, breaking the previous mark of 543 at Chicago (10/2/11).

·         The Panthers rushed for 294 yards, just five yards shy of the team’s single-game rushing record. It marked the first time in franchise history that Carolina has had back-to-back rushing games over 200 yards.

·         Carolina had 30 first downs in the game, the third-most first downs in a game in Panthers history.

·         Carolina scored five touchdowns, the most since a 46-point effort against San Francisco last season (9/19/16).

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL MAGIC

·         The Panthers improved to 10-6 all-time on Monday Night Football, including 7-3 at home.

·         Cam Newton improved to 5-1 all-time on Monday Night Football. He became the first quarterback with at least two passing touchdowns in each of his first six MNF games. Newton has a passer rating on 101.1 on Monday night with 15 touchdowns to just four interceptions.

NEWTON PASSES MARINO

·         Cam Newton passed for 254 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for 95 yards. He passed Dan Marino and moved into third all-time in total yards (passing and rushing) in the first seven seasons of a career. Newton has 28,006 total yards, surpassing Marino’s 27,835 yards. He is 860 yards shy of Matt Ryan (28,866) for second place through seven seasons.

·         Newton had a rush of 69 yards, which marked the second-longest rush of his career (72 vs. Atlanta, 12/19/12). Newton has 436 rushing yards this season which leads all NFL quarterbacks.

·         Newton surpassed 4,000 career rushing yards and currently ranks fourth all-time among quarterbacks with 4,002.

·         Newton posted a passer rating of 120.4 on Monday night, which ranks as his 15th-highest game in his career. Three of the top 15 games have come since Week 4 at New England.

THIRD-DOWN CONVERSION RECORD

·         Carolina converted 11-of-14 third downs for a conversion rate of 78.6 percent. That marks a Panthers new franchise record.

·         The conversion percentage ties for sixth in the NFL since Carolina’s first season in 1995.

YARDS IN BUNCHES

·         The Panthers had six rushing plays over 10 yards with one going for a touchdown, and they had four passing plays over 20 yards with two going for touchdowns.

·         Carolina averaged 7.72 yards per offensive play, ranking fifth-best in franchise history.

·         The Panthers averaged 8.17 yards per rushing attempt, the third-highest average in a game in franchise history.

STEWART RUSHES FOR OVER 100

·         Jonathan Stewart rushed for 110 yards on the ground, marking his 15th career 100-yard rushing game which ranks second in franchise history. DeAngelo Williams holds the franchise record with 18 100-yard rushing games.

·         Stewart’s most recent 100-yard rushing game came against Washington (12/19/16) last year on Monday Night Football when he ran for 132 yards.

McCAFFREY SETS RECEIVING RECORD

·         Christian McCaffrey had three receptions for 27 yards, as he moved into first place all-time for receiving yards by a running back in a single season in franchise history (433). He passed Jonathan Stewart’s record of 413 set in 2011.

·         McCaffrey finished with a rushing and receiving touchdown. He became just the 12th player in franchise history with a rushing and receiving touchdown in one game, and the first to do it since Mike Tolbert in 2015 (10/25/15).

·         McCaffrey has five touchdowns this season, including three in the last two weeks. He is tied for fourth among rookies in touchdowns this season.

FUNCHESS GOES FOR TWO TOUCHDOWNS

·         Devin Funchess had two receiving touchdowns and finished with 92 yards receiving. He had a 32-yard touchdown reception, his longest of the season.

·         It marked his second multi-TD game of the season.

KUECHLY PICKS ANOTHER

·         Linebacker Luke Kuechly recorded an interception right before halftime that set up a Panthers touchdown with less than a minute to play.

·         It marked Kuechly’s second interception in the last three games, and third this season. He is tied for the most interceptions among linebackers this season. Since 2012, Kuechly has 15 interceptions, the most among linebackers in that span.

·         Kuechly now ranks fourth all-time in the Panthers record book with 15 interceptions.

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

That was just a fun, fun, fun game to watch. Let's have a few more of those this season!

I agree. 

However, the Dolphins defense basically never made it out of the locker room after halftime. I have never seen such lazy uninterested play in my life. Solid win for the Panthers, and they would have won even if the Dolphins defense didn't quit. However, I see this offensive production as an anomaly, the pendulum swung the other way from the Bears game basically. Somewhere in the middle is where they are, and that just might be good enough for a real playoff run. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I agree. 

However, the Dolphins defense basically never made it out of the locker room after halftime. I have never seen such lazy uninterested play in my life. Solid win for the Panthers, and they would have won even if the Dolphins defense didn't quit. However, I see this offensive production as an anomaly, the pendulum swung the other way from the Bears game basically. Somewhere in the middle is where they are, and that just might be good enough for a real playoff run. 

I agree. There were a lot of folks saying that RR had lost the locker room and no one believes in Shula. We need to stop that, because if you wanted to see a team that had written off their season, you just had to watch the Dolphins after half time. They weren't broken, they had just, as a group decided that the season was a loss. That was a bunch of guys just waiting on paychecks and week 17.

42 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I agree. 

yeah, that was a team that didn't want to be out there. 

I couldn't go to the game so I got to listen to Gruden call it. He would constantly talk about how amazing of a job Carolina was doing against Suh. Then they would show like Larsen single teaming him with no real problems lol

CMC's TD run was another example. He cut back inside. Where were the linebackers flowing to the ball? Just kinda standing there watching it happen.

2 minutes ago, Hotsauce said:

Do we worry about the 21 points we gave up or nah?

I really only count 14

Last TD was against a backup crew essentially playing prevent.  I think the only starters were the safeties that drive 

Archived