• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quick Question

Jeremy Igo

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Have said it before: If it were as simple as Rivera being a better coach than people on this board, that'd be easy.

That's not the standard.

For Rivera to succeed he has to be better than guys like Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, etc.

How many other teams with great to elite coaches do you see regularly letting teams catch up to them in the second half? 

Second half coaching has always been Rivera's biggest failing (with personnel evaluation / assistant hiring not far behind). Heck, even in 2015, we regularly let teams back in the game late. Way too many games where we looked dominant in the first half ended up going right down to the wire.

Not saying he's awful. He just isn't good enough to make this team a perennial contender. 

This

13 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

You said the dude lacks heart. Anything else you say about him is meaningless when you actually type that out and press send.

What kind of babysoft bullshit is that? "Question my QB one time and you are nothing to me, Mr.!" 

Toughen up some, you've missed out on a lot.

3 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

If hunt played, he would get very few carries and they would be the same carries and same blocking schemes that we see CMC get. I think you could expect about the same results.

How about this question:

If after starting his Panther career with 6-10 and 7-9 records, we had replaced Rivera with Andy Reid, would the tailor already be getting HOF-jacket measurements for Cam and Mccaffrey?

I'd think Cam would be a top 3 QB year-in, year-out. Mccaffrey would be OROY, no questions.

Can I buy some pot from you ???

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Okay, so for our head coach we have a guy that as a player had these awards:

Super Bowl XX ring

Consensus All-American (1983)

Pop Warner Trophy (1983) (Most valuable Senior Player for a West Coast university)

Eight year career with the Chicago Bears with 7.5 sacks and 9 INT. 

Since becoming our head coach he has:

won NFL AP Coach of the Year 2013, 2015

Overall record of 59-45-1, post season 3-3

Has coached the team to the playoffs in 2013, 2014, and 2015 (including a Superb Owl appearance this season).

Coached the team to 15-1 regular season in 2015, best in division and conference history.

And currently has this team on track for a playoff appearance in 2017.

And he's done it carrying your whiny asses on his back the whole damn time.

Sheesh. You guys call him timid, spineless and a terrible judge of talent. This is first head coaching job and he took the worst team in the league and went to the Superb Owl in what three, four seasons? (For a little perspective, Bill Belichick's first five years as a head coach saw him with an overall record of 41-55, including his first year with the Patriots. 

You folks constantly complaining are the football equivalents of the comic book shop guy on the Simpsons -- your fetishism has overridden any actual appreciation of what is before you. Ease up a bit, step back a bit, get some perspective.

Because this poo is getting old.

I seriously think this is the best post I have ever read on the Carolina Huddle.

10 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

What kind of babysoft bullshit is that? "Question my QB one time and you are nothing to me, Mr.!" 

Same could be said to you, though. Anytime anyone on here questions Rivera or better yet, JR, you go to defending just like those who defend Cam. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Have said it before: If it were as simple as Rivera being a better coach than people on this board, that'd be easy.

That's not the standard.

For Rivera to succeed he has to be better than guys like Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, etc.

How many other teams with great to elite coaches do you see regularly letting teams catch up to them in the second half? 

Second half coaching has always been Rivera's biggest failing (with personnel evaluation / assistant hiring not far behind). Heck, even in 2015, we regularly let teams back in the game late. Way too many games where we looked dominant in the first half ended up going right down to the wire.

Not saying he's awful. He just isn't good enough to make this team a perennial contender. 

You make some points, but in the end, there we are, contending in most of his seasons. We even made it into the playoffs with a losing record (statistical fluke, but he did beat out Sean Payton for the honor that year).

Andy Reid is one heck of a coach, but even he hasn't been a consistent playoff contender throughout his career. He posts a .595 career victory percentage as a head coach, which isn't damning of him but points to how hard it is to be a successful coach in this league.

Mike Tomlin? The guy is great. Not a complaint in the world against him, one of the best coaches in the game. It sames something when you are only the third head coach in such a storied franchise's history. Knoll, Cowher, Tomlin. All three got rings for their team. All three also had long tenures to get through up and down years. They each built a string of winning seasons, though, and that made them great.

Rivera, he's done pretty good by us. Yeah, he tends to play not to lose, but its hard not to when the fanbase has their knives out. And there are some of you that never put those knives away.

Mr. Scott, I used to love coming onto this forum and reading your pieces explaining in depth what happened in a game, seeing some wrinkles that I didn't notice, getting a better understanding of The Game as much as the game I'd just watched. I really looked forward to it. Then, a year or two ago, you just chucked it all and sidled in with the guys who start talking about the boat sinking as soon as we leave the dock. It saddens me. I mean, I understand, that's the popular klatch around here now, but they make for miserable company.

Me, I'm going to cheer for the coach while he's here, I'm gonna cheer for Cam while he's here, and I'm going to cheer for the Panthers as long as I'm on this planet. 

14 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Your opinions mean poo when you can’t even get the simplest thing right about Cam. There’s nothing baby soft about it. It shows you don’t have a functioning brain.

17 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

You make some points, but in the end, there we are, contending in most of his seasons. We even made it into the playoffs with a losing record (statistical fluke, but he did beat out Sean Payton for the honor that year).

Andy Reid is one heck of a coach, but even he hasn't been a consistent playoff contender throughout his career. He posts a .595 career victory percentage as a head coach, which isn't damning of him but points to how hard it is to be a successful coach in this league.

Mike Tomlin? The guy is great. Not a complaint in the world against him, one of the best coaches in the game. It sames something when you are only the third head coach in such a storied franchise's history. Knoll, Cowher, Tomlin. All three got rings for their team. All three also had long tenures to get through up and down years. They each built a string of winning seasons, though, and that made them great.

Rivera, he's done pretty good by us. Yeah, he tends to play not to lose, but its hard not to when the fanbase has their knives out. And there are some of you that never put those knives away.

Mr. Scott, I used to love coming onto this forum and reading your pieces explaining in depth what happened in a game, seeing some wrinkles that I didn't notice, getting a better understanding of The Game as much as the game I'd just watched. I really looked forward to it. Then, a year or two ago, you just chucked it all and sidled in with the guys who start talking about the boat sinking as soon as we leave the dock. It saddens me. I mean, I understand, that's the popular klatch around here now, but they make for miserable company.

Me, I'm going to cheer for the coach while he's here, I'm gonna cheer for Cam while he's here, and I'm going to cheer for the Panthers as long as I'm on this planet. 

Cheers to you man! Mofos cant talk about anything if they are not crapping on one aspect or another of this team.

Ron Rivera inherited probably the worst team in the NFL and coached it into the playoffs in year 3.

He has 3 playoff appearances in 6 years and a Superbowl appearance to go with 2 NFL Coach of the year honors.

And yet the lion's share of Huddles feel that, despite no actual football knowledge, they would be the better head coach ...After all, they excel in "Madden"...

Ron Rivera is the best thing that has ever happened to the Carolina Panthers.

He will always field great defenses and competitive teams.

If we were stupid enough to fire him, he would be scooped up immediately by another franchise. 

By the way, can any of you football savants list me the great offensive minded head coaches to consistently "win the big one"...or better yet, to simple consistently get into the "big one" conversation ?

40 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Dude, you are so one note. 

I'm one note, and you are a hypocrite. It is what it is.

Its just so darn funny you have a problem with any of the organization being criticized, but I guess Cam is where you draw the line lol. He can be criticized, and even have his leadership and heart questioned. Funny.

11 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

I'm one note, and you are a hypocrite. It is what it is.

Its just so darn funny you have a problem with any of the organization being criticized, but I guess Cam is where you draw the line lol. He can be criticized, and even have his leadership and heart questioned. Funny.

No, that's just where your reading stops. I've offered criticism here and there, along with praise. Heck, if you weren't so one track minded you'd see that I praise Cam more often, much more often than I criticize him. But I get it, you're a Cam fan, first and foremost, and so even the slightest question sticks in your craw.

And yeah, I did question his leadership and heart a time or two, and his play answered. That was good enough for me at the time and I said so. Heck, I'm enjoying watching Cam with his mojo back here of lates.

But dude, you've gotta contribute more than just running out to bark at folks when they question Cam. 

Archived