• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quick Question

Jeremy Igo

26 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Okay, so for our head coach we have a guy that as a player had these awards:

Super Bowl XX ring

Consensus All-American (1983)

Pop Warner Trophy (1983) (Most valuable Senior Player for a West Coast university)

Eight year career with the Chicago Bears with 7.5 sacks and 9 INT. 

Since becoming our head coach he has:

won NFL AP Coach of the Year 2013, 2015

Overall record of 59-45-1, post season 3-3

Has coached the team to the playoffs in 2013, 2014, and 2015 (including a Superb Owl appearance this season).

Coached the team to 15-1 regular season in 2015, best in division and conference history.

And currently has this team on track for a playoff appearance in 2017.

And he's done it carrying your whiny asses on his back the whole damn time.

Sheesh. You guys call him timid, spineless and a terrible judge of talent. This is first head coaching job and he took the worst team in the league and went to the Superb Owl in what three, four seasons? (For a little perspective, Bill Belichick's first five years as a head coach saw him with an overall record of 41-55, including his first year with the Patriots. 

You folks constantly complaining are the football equivalents of the comic book shop guy on the Simpsons -- your fetishism has overridden any actual appreciation of what is before you. Ease up a bit, step back a bit, get some perspective.

Because this poo is getting old.

No one doubts his accomplishments and I think we can all say that we are grateful for the relative amount of success we've had since he took over. The thing is that most fans feel as though this team can and should be more. We have 4 surefire hall of fame caliber players(Luke, Cam, Greg, Peppers) and a few borderline players as well(Ryan K, TD). In addition to that theres quality youth(Bradberry, KK, Star, CMC, Samuel, Funchess, Turner, Norwell) and a hungry fanbase. By all means we should be an aggressive and dominant team when you put all of that together but time and time again we approach games as if we aren't prepared. Thats on coaching. So is an inability to make adjustments, take responsibility and prepare and adequate game plan.

TL;DR Team should be better than it is and its up to a coach to get the most out of his players. Our coach is above average but above average doesn't build great teams/franchises. They build above average teams that can't put together back to back winning seasons and struggles to consistently win.

2 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

You say that like He would have gotten touches behind Stewart the way CMC has.

Oh I know, he probably would have been dead set stuck behind Stewart with our coaching staff.

But If he got Mccaffrey carries he easily would have doubled his numbers by now. He's bigger faster, stronger, has better vision, just all round better. And no way in hell does Mccaffrey put up his numbers in KC. Like I mentioned above Hunt actually breaks tackles at a crazy pace 

27 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Super Bowl XX ring

Pop Warner Trophy (1983) (Most valuable Senior Player for a West Coast university)

Has coached the team to the playoffs in 2013, 2014, and 2015 (including a Superb Owl appearance this season).

Coached the team to 15-1 regular season in 2015, best in division and conference history.

Sheesh. You guys call him timid, spineless and a terrible judge of talent. This is first head coaching job and he took the worst team in the league and went to the Superb Owl in what three, four seasons? (For a little perspective, Bill Belichick's first five years as a head coach saw him with an overall record of 41-55, including his first year with the Patriots. 

You folks constantly complaining are the football equivalents of the comic book shop guy on the Simpsons -- your fetishism has overridden any actual appreciation of what is before you. Ease up a bit, step back a bit, get some perspective.

Oh wow so he’s immune to criticism? Because he’s made some HORRIBLE mistakes. Conversely I could name out all of Cams accomplishments and you would still question his heart like you did in that one thread. You’re getting old. 

32 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Super Bowl XX ring

How's his record look in seasons where dave Gettleman was not the GM?

46 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

How's his record look in seasons where dave Gettleman was not the GM?

That first one was pretty rough, but he was inheriting a crappy team. This year, well, it ain't pretty but we've won twice as many games as we've lost.

But hey, you keyboard jockeys could get better results out of the same players I'm sure. Or do we start the whole let's get Gruden or Cowher circle jerk going again? Maybe lure a hot college coach here? I hear Chip Kelly could be had... or we could be, depending on how it shakes out.

But screw it, you guys just keep bemoaning the poo like we've got it bad and why oh why were we becursed with this franchise, its leadership, ownership and shield at the midfield? Boo hoo fuging hoo.

It's a tough league to win a game in, it's a tough league to win a division in, it's an almost impossible league to win a championship in. Rivera is holding his own against the competition and doing a damn sight better than most of the HCs out there holding a clipboard.

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

Oh wow so he’s immune to criticism? Because he’s made some HORRIBLE mistakes. Conversely I could name out all of Cams accomplishments and you would still question his heart like you did in that one thread. You’re getting old. 

You're never there when I praise Cam, which I do much more than I criticize. 

there were those that cringed, including myself, when carolina took a running back in CMC in the 1st round.  The mutual feeling was carolina was stacked at RB and Stewart was running over tacklers and another rb wasnt needed.  Fast forward to Stewarts god awful rushing this year, picking a running back may have been a good choice, but CMC wont replace stewart.  Was there insight that Stewart was going to suck ass this season?  Is he injured?  

8 minutes ago, chknwing said:

there were those that cringed, including myself, when carolina took a running back in CMC in the 1st round.  The mutual feeling was carolina was stacked at RB and Stewart was running over tacklers and another rb wasnt needed.  Fast forward to Stewarts god awful rushing this year, picking a running back may have been a good choice, but CMC wont replace stewart.  Was there insight that Stewart was going to suck ass this season?  Is he injured?  

If this was the case they would have drafted a player to replace Stewart, not to acompany him.  I think they had(and still do) full faith in Stewart to carry the load this year. 

2 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

That first one was pretty rough, but he was inheriting a crappy team. This year, well, it ain't pretty but we've won twice as many games as we've lost.

But hey, you keyboard jockeys could get better results out of the same players I'm sure. Or do we start the whole let's get Gruden or Cowher circle jerk going again? Maybe lure a hot college coach here? I hear Chip Kelly could be had... or we could be, depending on how it shakes out.

But screw it, you guys just keep bemoaning the poo like we've got it bad and why oh why were we becursed with this franchise, its leadership, ownership and shield at the midfield? Boo hoo fuging hoo.

It's a tough league to win a game in, it's a tough league to win a division in, it's an almost impossible league to win a championship in. Rivera is holding his own against the competition and doing a damn sight better than most of the HCs out there holding a clipboard.

Have said it before: If it were as simple as Rivera being a better coach than people on this board, that'd be easy.

That's not the standard.

For Rivera to succeed he has to be better than guys like Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, etc.

How many other teams with great to elite coaches do you see regularly letting teams catch up to them in the second half? 

Second half coaching has always been Rivera's biggest failing (with personnel evaluation / assistant hiring not far behind). Heck, even in 2015, we regularly let teams back in the game late. Way too many games where we looked dominant in the first half ended up going right down to the wire.

Not saying he's awful. He just isn't good enough to make this team a perennial contender. 

Heres the worst part, I really do think he recognizes potential, but he's loyal and refuses to do what's best for the team because he's been in the foxhole with "insert veteran here".  I'm not a reactionary guy, I usually give a player a longer leash than most, but Stew flat out was the worst running back on the field Sunday by a mile.  Not only was he putting the ball on the turf, he had no explosion or vision either, it was really hard to watch because stew used to be so good.  CAP deserved to try to get a between the tackles ground game going, but just wasn't given a chance.

5 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Heres the worst part, I really do think he recognizes potential, but he's loyal and refuses to do what's best for the team because he's been in the foxhole with "insert veteran here".  I'm not a reactionary guy, I usually give a player a longer leash than most, but Stew flat out was the worst running back on the field Sunday by a mile.  Not only was he putting the ball on the turf, he had no explosion or vision either, it was really hard to watch because stew used to be so good.  CAP deserved to try to get a between the tackles ground game going, but just wasn't given a chance.

I also think Stew should have been taken out for the fumbles, but he was running well in the first half minus the fumbles.  The first fumble should be attributed to the refs who let him get stood up forever and never blew the play dead. The second was all stew, after that he played timid.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It wouldn't take Andy Reid, just an above average offensive mind. Going from below average to above average would skyrocket this team to dynasty level. 

I read Gary Kubiak was looking for an OC job, not interested in HC

one can dream.  Frank reich would not be allowed to go on a lateral move 

but Kubiak >>>>> than Shula

Archived