• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettlemagic?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Rags said:

This sounds like stuff spun off of one of the commentators stating that Cam said he knew CMC would be drafted when he was invited to Richardson's house.

And to be fair, it sounds very believable. 

I was at the game so can't speak on what commentators said but the guy I know has been wrong as often as he is right so I never post about that stuff. I know a guy who knows a guy and we're not even really friends just co workers. Plus I don't give two watery squirts about trying to post or be right about that stuff so yea don't matter to me just I always knew about JR even in the past but no one used to believe he was a meddler. About CMC....just a rumor but yea believable. The guy did tell me about Peppers before it happened but like I said he's 50/50.

What did the commentator say about CMC and Cam at JR's house?

7 hours ago, stbugs said:

Funny thing is that I wouldn’t say he ignored it. Maybe not drafting high picks but getting talent. Imagine what our OL would have been without a few good signings/UDFAs.

2014 Turner, Norwell, Remmers

2015 Oher, Williams

2016 Larsen

2017 Kalil, Moton

In year 2, DG got the OL to have Turner, Norwell and Remmers which along with Ryan Kalil became a solid unit that finished 5-1 to launch us into 2015.

Unfortunately, Oher’s injury blew up our LT spot, but Larsen’s been a god send since Ryan has missed more games the past two years than he’s played. Maybe Matt can get better and we get back to a 2015ish OL. 

Gettle also brought in Jonathan Martin the same year he got Oher so he doubled up on a starting left tackle that year.  Unfortunately Martin was 'going through some stuff' and never did make it back to the NFL but if he had worked out that really would have been gettlemagic.

DG got a bad rap with a few posters over a couple small things...and a couple big ones.

1:  Cutting Steve Smith.  We will likely never know exactly what the reasoning was, but I'm guessing Cam's maturation.

2:  Pushing out Gross.   We know that Gross had planned to retire, but we as fans wanted 1 more season...Gross valued his retirement more than how much DG was wanting to pay him for a rental.

3:  Not solidifying the O Line.  I think that without Oher's brain injury pushing him out of the league, we would be singing a much different tune on this one.

There are a few more....drafting Vern over Hunter Henry, and him hard lining some negotiations....but those 3 up there are why many hate him.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

DG got a bad rap with a few posters over a couple small things...and a couple big ones.

1:  Cutting Steve Smith.  We will likely never know exactly what the reasoning was, but I'm guessing Cam's maturation.

2:  Pushing out Gross.   We know that Gross had planned to retire, but we as fans wanted 1 more season...Gross valued his retirement more than how much DG was wanting to pay him for a rental.

3:  Not solidifying the O Line.  I think that without Oher's brain injury pushing him out of the league, we would be singing a much different tune on this one.

There are a few more....drafting Vern over Hunter Henry, and him hard lining some negotiations....but those 3 up there are why many hate him.

And none of these things warranted the ire that fans through at the man.  Most can't see the forest for the trees.

14 hours ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Nope more like RiveraMagic 

Ron personally scouted CMC 

Rivera, Beane and scout Khary Darlington attended Stanford's pro day, but afterward Rivera met with Solomon Thomas, not McCaffrey (link

McCaffrey didn't get the full meet and greet treatment till he was brought in for a private workout. 

4 hours ago, thefuzz said:

There are a few more:

-Norman out of town

-Davis & Olsen next, but Gettletragic got nailed instead

-Ginn gone, not only gone ,but in same division--will bite us all year

-trading a 4th round pick for a punter--now gone.

-His drafting Vern, the invisible man, Butler; Shaq, I can't attack, Thompson;   Worley and Sanchez  Who ??

-Drafting a Benjamin clone in Funchess making our offense more putrid than Shula could

-

3 hours ago, juliosantos said:

stop giving him praise he produced one star player and thats short other then that his drafts were all average players and he let stars walk out the door . im happy hes gone and i hope hurney is gone after this season too 

I want a new GM and to move on from both Gettleman and Hurney, but you're wrong about him. I wouldn't consider Short, Star, Norwell, or Turner average. And one of those was an UDFA

Never liked or hate Gettle. Hated Hurney. Gettle wasn’t the best but he did things different, different is what this organization needed. He did things in a way this organization has never seen them done and he got good results. People need to stop thinking Gettle had fans due to his draft picks or team building abilities which were above average but nothing special. It was the way he did that things and the different outlook he had that had never been here before that brought us to a 15-1 year in the middle of cap hell he wasn’t even responsible for.

You can’t have the family atmosphere, painfully dragging things out, overpaid high contacts good character guys, loyal to a fault ideals only, that’s basically Hurney. Gentle was the opposite and more mixed well operation wise with JR philosophy because together they made a middle of the road type environment.

but JRs personally didn’t mesh well with him. JR wanted a yes man who embraced his dragging things out, family type favoritism astmospgere and this we are back at Hurney.

Shame.

Archived