• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Story of the Snap Count is an Apocalyptic Narrative

Steves89

I would go so far as to call it: THE ARMAHGEDDON!!!!!!!!! 17 SNAPS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, personally, assume that all 201 of our rushing yards came on the 17 snaps Armah was in the game. In all seriousness, I love following snap counts andI haven't seen snap counts posted for the past couple weeks so I thought I'd post yesterday's. Hope I'm not stepping on any tows. Some key things to note are that Seymor seems to have officially surpassed Worley on the depth chart. It seems like it was going that way, but now it seems official. Worley was behind Bradberry, Seymore, and Munnerlyn. Rough week for the youngster. Kaelin Clay had more snaps at WR than CAP had at RB. Let that sink in for bit. The DL snap counts have been absolutely consistent one week to the next. And maybe most importantly,  every offensive draft pick from 2017 had a career high in snap counts. Seems promising. The only thing that conserns me is how little impact Samuel had given his opportunity. Looking forward to what other stories people see in the snap count.

Name  Pos  Offense Plays  Percentage  Special Teams  Percentage
Daryl Williamsicon-article-link.gif T 65 100 4 16
Tyler Larsenicon-article-link.gif C 65 100    
Andrew Norwellicon-article-link.gif G 65 100 4 16
Matt Kalilicon-article-link.gif T 65 100 4 16
Trai Turnericon-article-link.gif G 65 100 4 16
Cam Newtonicon-article-link.gif QB 65 100    
Ed Dicksonicon-article-link.gif TE 64 98 5 20
Christian McCaffreyicon-article-link.gif RB 53 82 1 4
Curtis Samuelicon-article-link.gif WR 49 75 10 40
Devin Funchessicon-article-link.gif WR 48 74 1 4
Russell Shepardicon-article-link.gif WR 38 58 11 44
Jonathan Stewarticon-article-link.gif RB 21 32    
Alex Armahicon-article-link.gif FB 17 26 17 68
Taylor Motonicon-article-link.gif T 12 18 4 16
Brenton Bersinicon-article-link.gif WR 9 14 2 8
Kaelin Clayicon-article-link.gif WR 8 12 12 48
Chris Manhertzicon-article-link.gif TE 5 8 2 8
Cameron Artis-Payneicon-article-link.gif RB 1 2 17 68

- The starting offensive line played every offensive snap for the first time since the Philadelphia game.

- All four offensive players from the Panthers draft class (Christian McCaffrey, Curtis Samuel, Taylor Moton, Alex Armah) had new career highs in snap percentages on Sunday. 

- Jonathan Stewart played 21 snaps, his fewest in a game he finished since 2013. 

- Newly re-signed WR Brenton Bersin played nine snaps in his first game back with the team.

Name  Pos  Defense Plays  Percentage  Special Teams  Percentage
Kurt Colemanicon-article-link.gif S 60 100 4 16
Thomas Davisicon-article-link.gif LB 60 100 4 16
Luke Kuechlyicon-article-link.gif LB 60 100 3 12
James Bradberryicon-article-link.gif CB 56 93 7 28
Mike Adamsicon-article-link.gif S 51 85 2 8
Mario Addisonicon-article-link.gif DE 45 75    
Kevon Seymouricon-article-link.gif CB 44 73 9 36
Kawann Shorticon-article-link.gif DT 41 68 3 12
Shaq Thompsonicon-article-link.gif LB 39 65 10 40
Star Lotuleleiicon-article-link.gif DT 35 58 3 12
Charles Johnson DE 31 52    
Julius Peppersicon-article-link.gif DE 25 42 3 12
Wes Hortonicon-article-link.gif DE 22 37    
Vernon Butlericon-article-link.gif DT 21 35 3 12
Kyle Loveicon-article-link.gif DT 21 35    
Captain Munnerlynicon-article-link.gif CB 21 35    
Daryl Worleyicon-article-link.gif CB 19 32 11 44
Jairus Byrdicon-article-link.gif S 9 15 6 24

- Kevon Seymour played 44 snaps, while Daryl Worley played in 19 snaps. Last week, Worley played 53 and Seymour had 14.

- For the second week in a row, Shaq Thompson played fewer than 70 percent of the snaps. Last week, he played in just 54 percent, his lowest since Week 2.

- Mario Addison continues to play the majority of defensive end snaps after fully recovering from an injury that kept him under 50 percent of the snaps in Weeks 5, 6 and 7. Addison recorded his 14.5 sack in the last 16 games.

- Jairus Byrd played nine snaps in place of Mike Adams who left the game in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury.

3 hours ago, jfra78 said:

Im going to respond to this mostly to bump it, you have some good stuff here.  I think its very telling how many snaps Stew got in comparison to CMC. 

I think it is telling too. Not so much for the ramifications for the depth chart but more because it reveals the packages and plays we are running. If we are “evolving” that ratio of snaps is, I think where it will show up. 

Even if Samuel's snap count went up, he only got 5 targets. In general our receiving and passing stats for the game were exteremly worrying. We're not going to be rushing for over 200 yards every game. Only 2 Wrs caught passes. Only 3 players caught passes. No TE catches. Cam only completed 54% of his passes. 

There's probably some correlation to Armah's + Moton + CMC's uptick in snaps and Stews decrease in snaps  , with the gigantic improvement in the running game. Of course Cam running more is a huge factor too. I think its more of a diverse running attack that that's making things easier.

Its really up to the coaches to notice this and keep using it to their advantage. Or they can just go back to jamming stew up the middle for 18 times a game. 

2 minutes ago, j2sgam said:

Nah, 28 just had a bad day.. it’ll be a while before it happens again, watch what I tell ya... I get they waited way too long on Tolbert, but Stew’s nowhere close to a decline like that...

He is in terms of speed. He gets tackled for a sizable loss everytime he has a toss or outside run. He can't hit holes fast anymore. His hands have been suspect this season in general. He makes the offense much more predictable with him in the backfield, we're probably running up the gut and if its a pass play, defenses arent worried about him catching anything out of the backfield. 

6 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

Even if Samuel's snap count went up, he only got 5 targets. In general our receiving and passing stats for the game were exteremly worrying. We're not going to be rushing for over 200 yards every game. Only 2 Wrs caught passes. Only 3 players caught passes. No TE catches. Cam only completed 54% of his passes. 

I found that worrying as well, but hopefully we will get a larger sample size of this snap count on Monday and the Wr's and TE's will post better numbers. I also find some hope in that this is a newly increased role for Samuel (and Armah and Moton) and that in a couple weeks they will have more time to gel. Samuel is still a young rookie who missed most of camp. I'm really hoping that a younger offense with our rookies getting more time and more time to get acclimated along with Greg's return will help us peak at the right time.

14 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

So if the offensive line played 100% of the snaps, where did Moton's snaps come from?  Did he line up in a two tight end formation?  

Am I correct that Manhertz was injured...Moton was announced as  an eligible receiver when he was in.

34 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Seeing CJ get more snaps than Peppers makes me so mad. 

I’m fine with it. Peppers is old and we need him fresh in December and January. I hope Addison is still sharp come December. That means more snaps for CJ. And I expect similar next week particularly if our offense is clicking. 

Archived