• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things of note RE: Falcons game

Jeremy Igo

The next 7 games should be interesting as the O rounds into form, Olsen returns, hopefully R. Kalil returns, maybe a Byrd sighting, Samuel acclimates himself, and eventually the defense is going to start turning the ball over at a prolific rate, I can feel it.

When-Waiter-Asks-You-Need-Moment-Look-Ov

57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which goes back to a question I asked a while ago:

Full on Cam for a few years or dialed back Cam for more years? 

More dialed back for me.  Well like we did yesterday, 4-5 runs and a scramble when its the best option for him.  He needs to run if the defense doesn't respect his running, but if they are ready for it, then he needs to prove he can pick em apart with the pass like he was able to do in 2015 and to a certain extent in 2013.  .  Until the team proves it can do that consistently, our offense is going to continue to struggle like it did yesterday.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Give me balls to the wall Cam for 5 years over dialed back Cam for 8. 

This team as currently constructed cannot win a Super Bowl if Cam doesn't put the entire offense on his back. Cam has everything but a Super Bowl and if/when he gets it he'll be a shoe in for the HOF. 

1 hour ago, BigWoody said:

One of the  best posts I've read on here in a long time. Cam needs to be Cam. Plain and simple 

This has been a debate about our great quarterbacks for a very long time. Now we have a dual threat QB. At one time we had a gunslinger for QB. Anyone remember this? lol

LetJakeBeJake.jpg.db626d413b0f1b208bc02e3009ea005a.jpg

At some point you guys are going to have to realize that starting QB's are starting for a reason. Green Bay lost tonight. Houston lost without Watson against a woeful Colts team.  Raiders lost Carr for a few weeks and could not buy a touchdown. Denver let Osweiler walk, but then resigned him because he was their best option. Patriots traded a promising back up QB and then signed a Hoyer to a three year deal.  Cutler was all but retired and out of the league but threw for 300 yards last weekend.  Jaguars and Giants might make a deal for Manning.  Hell, Tony Romo might come out of retirement.

If this franchise put Cam Newton on the trading block, there are GM's in this league that would crawl on their knees to sign him and you best believe that.

If not for Stews fumbles we probably would not have needed Cam to rush as much as he did against Atlanta. The problem is that we're going to have to face teams that have the kind of d-line that can shut down our rushing attack unless we use Cam as a battering ram. It's all wonderful when CMC is gashing the Falcons and their poor run defense, but what about the elite run defenses that stuff us and force Cam to throw? That's when we need to use Cam's rushing and the option the most, and work the edges with our speed guys.

We can use dialed back Cam against TB. We need balls to wall running Cam against the Saints. Depends on the team we're facing. Run him when we're outmatched up front, and use the other guys more when we're facing a team that can't stop us from opening rushing lanes. Like Atlanta can't afford a premium offense and d-line, so we can run on them without Cam. The Eagles d-line is going to create a brick wall, so you batter it down with Cam. Yes there is a price to pay for doing that, but I want a SB. No one is safe on the football field. 

20 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

This right here is friggin key

Carolina ran for 201 yards rushing as a team, the most since a 204-yard effort against Philadelphia (10/25/15)

We gotta draft Nick Chubb next year, that 3rd round will come in handy.

Need to get CAP going early with CMC on the field at slot. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Considering he was getting plastered regularly behind the line as a more traditional QB, I don't believe it was going to lengthen his career one bit. It sure wasn't improving it. 

Sadly, ever football player's career has an expiration date (and it isn't printed on his label). Either a number of nagging injuries, or one big one, ends the career of most good players. 

We can keep playing Cam soft (and that's what RR wanted to do on that 4th and 1 call at first) and we might be able to squeeze an extra season out of him. But how many 7-9 years do we want to have? I say let Cam play the way Cam plays and design the game plan to match that. It's our best chance of winning seasons, playoff runs and also getting him in the HoF.

Otherwise, might as well have him wrapped in bubble wrap and put safely on a shelf somewhere. 

10 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Charles Johnson back in the day came out of nowhere, if you weren't a Panthers fan. When he emerged out of Pepper's shadow and had his first break out season, he was pretty much an unknown. 

True but Addison has been typecast as a rotational DE. For him to put up these numbers as a non-starter is crazy

57 minutes ago, NAS said:

True but Addison has been typecast as a rotational DE. For him to put up these numbers as a non-starter is crazy

Oh, yeah, no doubt. As a rotational guy, he was pretty good. And then, round about that Superb Owl, something clicked and he became Super Mario. So glad they were smart enough to keep him on and let him have the spotlight.

What I like about him is that he isn't a gimmicky DE with one really good move and nothing else. And he isn't just a pass rusher. The guy, because he had to earn his way in, learned to be an all around sound DE. 

Right now Mario gets to share the field with two of the greatest Panthers DEs of all time and he's shining through. That says a lot for his capabilities and that he's still not reached his ceiling. 

12 hours ago, pantherj said:

If not for Stews fumbles we probably would not have needed Cam to rush as much as he did against Atlanta. The problem is that we're going to have to face teams that have the kind of d-line that can shut down our rushing attack unless we use Cam as a battering ram. It's all wonderful when CMC is gashing the Falcons and their poor run defense, but what about the elite run defenses that stuff us and force Cam to throw? That's when we need to use Cam's rushing and the option the most, and work the edges with our speed guys.

We can use dialed back Cam against TB. We need balls to wall running Cam against the Saints. Depends on the team we're facing. Run him when we're outmatched up front, and use the other guys more when we're facing a team that can't stop us from opening rushing lanes. Like Atlanta can't afford a premium offense and d-line, so we can run on them without Cam. The Eagles d-line is going to create a brick wall, so you batter it down with Cam. Yes there is a price to pay for doing that, but I want a SB. No one is safe on the football field. 

I agree somewhat, and I think this let cam be cam stuff is not taking into account the realities of the game and the defense.  We had our best offensive outing against NE when Cam had 8 rushing attempts.  We had our worst against Chicago, when Cam had 9 rushing attempts.  Chicago had a very good defense, NE had a very bad one.  Cam doesn't need to be Cam.  He needs to be a quarterback who can exploit the weakness of the opponent.  If that means running the ball, then so be it.  If that means sitting in the pocket and trying to throw it downfield for 5 yards or 45 yards, then so be it.  If he can't do the latter when he needs to, then we are never going to win a Super Bowl.  But he has proven in the past that he could.  And I think he will again.  

Archived