• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things of note RE: Falcons game

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, PntherPryd said:

When your offensive philosophy is to spread out the defense and take advantage of openings, Cam's running ability is a huge weapon in that regard.

But what is not to like about his designed run plays?  Very few the last few weeks have been unsuccessful and they force the defense to react and open up other avenues.  Weren't two of his big gains on designed run plays yesterday?

Where I see us having difficulty is running from the option package, it just develops sooo slowly and defenses have been easily shutting it down, including yesterday.  The successful interior runs we had yesterday from our backs appeared to take advantage of quickness with no options involved.

I have nothing against his designed run plays.  Its a good thing to do 5 or so times a game.   And fwiw, while he lead in rushing yards, he was only third in attempts.  I am ok with the mix.  Other than the fumbles, the primary issue I have with the offense yesterday was the lack of any kind of a downfield passing attack. 

18 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

It can be tho.  Not leading the team but Cam running in general.  It forces the defense up to contain and then Cam can unleash that arm.

Wouldn't deny that. 

But if we're gonna be good on offense long term, we have to get out of the position where everything is on Cam's shoulders (and his legs). 

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get that, but if this remains the norm we're gonna have issues. 

I think if we attacked teams in the spread like we did after Stewarts second fumble our run game would improve. Newton needs to run but cutting out CMC and Samuel is not good. They need to be on the field more to open things up. Also newton's big chunk runs came from being in negative yards by Stewart. Sometimes a incomple pass is better than a 4 yard loss. 

7 hours ago, thomas96 said:

He’s had two outstanding games. The first 7 and last season? Not so great. All I’m saying is pump the breaks a bit until he shows this more consistently. May be making the Lee decision not look so bad but it’s really too early to say. Been thrilled with him these two games though.

Two games?  No one is perfect. You can't lead the league in net punting    average as a punter based on two games.  He has been more than solid this season.  

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I understand why this is necessary right now, but it's not a good thing. 

Teams have to pay more attention to Cam then other things open up. If they don't...run Cam run.

Plus...Cam seems to play better overall when he runs and gets to do the 1st down sign.  Another plus...he is not getting hit most of the time.  Looks safer than standing in the pocket.

10 hours ago, NAS said:

Great stuff! I had no idea Addison was on such a tear.  Has anyone known a DE like that go under the radar? 

Charles Johnson back in the day came out of nowhere, if you weren't a Panthers fan. When he emerged out of Pepper's shadow and had his first break out season, he was pretty much an unknown. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I understand why this is necessary right now, but it's not a good thing. 

You know what? I disagree here. I think the conventional wisdom was to hold his reins tightly and keep him from running except in the direst of circumstances. It makes sense that you don't want him to get hurt. Part of a maturation of the QB. Then, there's the actuality...

Cam's game is just that, Cam's game. Cam has to be allowed to dictate the game, and a great part of that is calling his number now and then and letting him call it himself. Those runs open up the running game for others and really open up his passing game, too. And the kicker is, he is much safer running the ball than he is standing in the pocket -- as a runner, he has the most incredible natural ability to take hits at an angle instead of head on and he can oftentimes determine when and how he takes them. A bit of violence seems to knock Clark Kent's glasses off and bring Superman out, too.

Let him run, send in the option plays, the QB power run every now and then. He needs it, the team needs it and it is one thing that completely screws up an opponent's defense. No one is scared of Cam standing in the pocket, waiting on routes to open. Everyone is a bit shaky facing a Cam that will tuck the ball and run when receivers can't get open. 

11 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

You know what? I disagree here. I think the conventional wisdom was to hold his reins tightly and keep him from running except in the direst of circumstances. It makes sense that you don't want him to get hurt. Part of a maturation of the QB. Then, there's the actuality...

Cam's game is just that, Cam's game. Cam has to be allowed to dictate the game, and a great part of that is calling his number now and then and letting him call it himself. Those runs open up the running game for others and really open up his passing game, too. And the kicker is, he is much safer running the ball than he is standing in the pocket -- as a runner, he has the most incredible natural ability to take hits at an angle instead of head on and he can oftentimes determine when and how he takes them. A bit of violence seems to knock Clark Kent's glasses off and bring Superman out, too.

Let him run, send in the option plays, the QB power run every now and then. He needs it, the team needs it and it is one thing that completely screws up an opponent's defense. No one is scared of Cam standing in the pocket, waiting on routes to open. Everyone is a bit shaky facing a Cam that will tuck the ball and run when receivers can't get open. 

One of the  best posts I've read on here in a long time. Cam needs to be Cam. Plain and simple 

31 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Which goes back to a question I asked a while ago:

Full on Cam for a few years or dialed back Cam for more years? 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which goes back to a question I asked a while ago:

Full on Cam for a few years or dialed back Cam for more years? 

Dialed back Cam will only have defenses pin their ears back and hit defenseless Cam. Give me full on Cam and we'll see how it plays out. You can't just say if Cam is himself and runs the ball that he'll only last a few years

Archived