• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The ONLY reason the Panthers went for it on 4th and 1 = Cam Newton

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Rivera has a winning record. Won 3 Divisional Championships. Won an NFC Championship. And been to the SuperB owl.

I would say that is pretty successful. I can think of lots of teams that would take that record. But for some reason. It ain't good enough around here.

Oh, and 2 time Coach of the Year.

He took a chance on Cam, the best gamble he's ever made.  We'll never know if he's a good or great coach.  Cam has won everywhere from pop warner, hs, college to pros.   We know what he is.  I think the frustration with Ron and team is the ultra conservative play when  they get  a lead.  Even in the 15-1 season, they almost gave away games after have 20+ leads.  I think most fans or ride or die,  I'd rather keep pressing and make a mistake rather than wait on the team whose loading with about as equal talent gain momentum and whip you ass.  I'm ok with that..I don't give a damn who is QB, Bill B ain't taking his foot off the pedal....ride or die with who we got.  

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

Rivera has a winning record. Won 3 Divisional Championships. Won an NFC Championship. And been to the SuperB owl.

I would say that is pretty successful. I can think of lots of teams that would take that record. But for some reason. It ain't good enough around here.

Oh good Lord! 

The only thing more annoying than the extreme right negative shitposters are the extreme left cheerleaders who try to dictate how other people should think and act, saying we should all be positive. I have historically been pretty even-keeled in my comments, giving praise when the coaches do well, calling the right plays regardless of success of the play, but I am also not afraid to state when the play calls make zero sense and are just flat out dumb.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing their calls, and being upset when we go into prevent mode on both offense and defense in the late third or early fourth quarters. When we let teams back into games, it's a formula for failure more times than not, especially when it stymies our best players from going out to win the game, rather than just going out to "not lose." It's a mindset that leads to either barely winning, or worse, losing those close games.

Yes, we are 6-3 right now, but we very easily could be 3-6 because we shut down way too early in the second half of games. Would you be so "happy, fun-fun shiny gold rock up your keyster" if we had lost those games? I certainly wouldn't be. Yes, we won, but wouldn't it make so much more sense to have kept the game in hand with strong finishes that allowed us to step on the other teams' throats? Wouldn't it be less pressure on our players if we keep the pedal to the floor? I think Ron asks too much of our Defense, asks Cam to close shop way too early. It's been successful some games, but others not so much. Our 15-1 season, we got really lucky a few of those games that we very easily could have lost (Colts, Seahawks, etc.). Personally, I'd rather they change up philosophy, and go for the kill. I know it's highly unlikely that anyone from the team is going to read my comments on this board, and implement anything like this, but by speaking my mind my way, it helps get my frustration out of my system. Honestly, what gives the cheerleaders the right to take that away from me? I'm not stating you should start being more negative, am I? So, why not let people be the way they want to?

Honestly I see it both ways on this topic. I can understand Ron's thoughts of going for a FG in that case since the defense had been playing wonderfully up until that point and the FG makes it a 2 score game up by 10 where as if he went for it on 4th and didn't get it, it is still just a single score game by 7 points. Having said this, we have Cam who, like he showed after Ron listened to Cam and changed his mind, 9 times out of 10 gets the inches needed for the 1st. I do kind of wonder what the conversation here would have been had we not gotten the 1st though. Would Ron still be getting killed in here? Not defending him since I've had my fair share of issues with his coaching but just saying.

3 minutes ago, Shonuff said:

He took a chance on Cam, the best gamble he's ever made.  We'll never know if he's a good or great coach.  Cam has won everywhere from pop warner, hs, college to pros.   We know what he is.  I think the frustration with Ron and team is the ultra conservative play when  they get  a lead.  Even in the 15-1 season, they almost gave away games after have 20+ leads.  I think most fans or ride or die,  I'd rather keep pressing and make a mistake rather than wait on the team whose loading with about as equal talent gain momentum and whip you ass.  I'm ok with that..I don't give a damn who is QB, Bill B ain't taking his foot off the pedal....ride or die with who we got.  

The ONLY thing I would argue with is how folks always say Rivera is the only coach that tries to play safe at the end of games. Coaches have been doing that for damm near 100 years.

Coaches hate mistakes. Playing aggressive at the end of games can lead to mistakes. So most coaches prefer to play off, and make teams move methodically down the field. The longer it takes to score, the more chances they make a mistake.

It really is playing the odds. Unfortunately, most fans can't stand it.

2 minutes ago, Raskle said:

Oh good Lord! 

The only thing more annoying than the extreme right negative shitposters are the extreme left cheerleaders who try to dictate how other people should think and act, saying we should all be positive. I have historically been pretty even-keeled in my comments, giving praise when the coaches do well, calling the right plays regardless of success of the play, but I am also not afraid to state when the play calls make zero sense and are just flat out dumb.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing their calls, and being upset when we go into prevent mode on both offense and defense in the late third or early fourth quarters. When we let teams back into games, it's a formula for failure more times than not, especially when it stymies our best players from going out to win the game, rather than just going out to "not lose." It's a mindset that leads to either barely winning, or worse, losing those close games.

Yes, we are 6-3 right now, but we very easily could be 3-6 because we shut down way too early in the second half of games. Would you be so "happy, fun-fun shiny gold rock up your keyster" if we had lost those games? I certainly wouldn't be. Yes, we won, but wouldn't it make so much more sense to have kept the game in hand with strong finishes that allowed us to step on the other teams' throats? Wouldn't it be less pressure on our players if we keep the pedal to the floor? I think Ron asks too much of our Defense, asks Cam to close shop way too early. It's been successful some games, but others not so much. Our 15-1 season, we got really lucky a few of those games that we very easily could have lost (Colts, Seahawks, etc.). Personally, I'd rather they change up philosophy, and go for the kill. I know it's highly unlikely that anyone from the team is going to read my comments on this board, and implement anything like this, but by speaking my mind my way, it helps get my frustration out of my system. Honestly, what gives the cheerleaders the right to take that away from me? I'm not stating you should start being more negative, am I? So, why not let people be the way they want to?

Thanks for saying this. 

9 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

The ONLY thing I would argue with is how folks always say Rivera is the only coach that tries to play safe at the end of games. Coaches have been doing that for damm near 100 years.

Coaches hate mistakes. Playing aggressive at the end of games can lead to mistakes. So most coaches prefer to play off, and make teams move methodically down the field. The longer it takes to score, the more chances they make a mistake.

It really is playing the odds. Unfortunately, most fans can't stand it.

Totally understand but playing not to lose with 10 min left in a game and a 10 pt lead is playing too lose.  This is the NFL, you have to stay aggressive almost to the end, period.  I am ok with Cam throwing a pick with a 10 pt lead with 10 min left in the game....it's the NFL, if you don't get 1st downs, the other team is loaded with weapons.  

8 minutes ago, Raskle said:

Oh good Lord! 

hey, is this demerol?

3 minutes ago, Raskle said:

Oh good Lord! 

So, I stated facts of Rivera's accomplishments. Then added that folks don't seem to think they are good enough. And this is what you give me?

I mean, I don't even know how to respond to that. Are you allowed to tell me how you think things should be? But I cannot point out when folks seem to be over reacting? Isn't there something inherently wrong with that?

32 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Oh, and 2 time Coach of the Year.

My answer to these arguments these days is to ask how you feel about the other two time coach of the year in the NFC, Bruce Arians. 

He's had success too, but I've never been that big a fan. Always felt like at some point his balloon was gonna pop. Looks like that time might have come. 

I think it's coming for Rivera too. 

6 minutes ago, Shonuff said:

Totally understand but playing not to lose with 10 min left in a game and a 10 pt lead is playing too lose.  This is the NFL, you have to stay aggressive almost to the end, period.  I am ok with Cam throwing a pick with a 10 pt lead with 10 min left in the game....it's the NFL, if you don't get 1st downs, the other team is loaded with weapons.  

But...we won. I can see your argument. Had we lost. 

2 minutes ago, Jangler said:

hey, is this demerol?

If it is, a lot of posters around here lately mines well take sum of it. His spelling, grammer, and organizationist skillz is damn near purfict. You don't have to agree with his oponions, but at least they can be understooden.

Archived