• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney discusses the Kelvin Benjamin trade...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Pimpdaddy said:

say what you will about Marty, and I despise him, he is accountable and will face the fans....Gman always waited till the end of the season for his state of the union address.

Truth......also how bout Gettleman new the poo wasnt working HIMSELF and could have made a move in the off sesson before he was fired but he didnt because that would be admitting HE MADE A MISTAKE. 

Don't see how this flies over everyones head and anger directed at Hurney.

this trainwreck of an offense needs a shot in the arm, and this is it.

the same knee jerk sky is falling reactions flooded this forum when benjamin was sidelined in 2015, and look what happened.

the cold hard truth is, there was a slim chance to none of benjamin getting a second contract from carolina.

they've been discussing this move for months. the opportunity came, and they took it. 

I may be in the minority here, but I'm glad we shipped off KB and got something for him in return. I've been saying for weeks that he should be demoted in favor of a more reliable receiver.

A lot of people in here are saying that we have the makings of the franchise's worst offense ever now. And my rebuttal to that is, if Kelvin Benjamin was the one thing keeping us from our worst offense ever, then we already had our worst offense ever.

He was nothing more than serviceable, and was never even in the running to be a game-changing WR, which is was we need for our #1 seed. For as long as I've been watching him play I've observed 2 things; 1) he can't make the difficult catches; the ones you have to leap for, dive for, fight for. KB only reels in the "catchable" balls, and I wouldn't say he's a sure thing to catch those either. And 2) he doesn't rise to the occasion. He drops passes at critical times, or doesn't get both feet in bounds on game-changing plays.  When the team needs its #1 to make a play, he still bungles it. When the game is on the line, he's not the guy you trust to make what Cam calls the "Big Boy Catches," which Cam has routinely targeted Funchess for.

Kelvin didn't have the talent to be our #1. Let's see what we've got on the roster already. Let's see how Funch performs as our #1. And lets be glad that at least we got something out of KB instead of letting him walk.

1 minute ago, mjligon said:

I’d give the Bills our third and seventh picks to take these incompetent idiots as long as Hurney is also included in the deal.

That's funny.

I have a question for you though. Do you think it's possible that Hurney may have actually learned a couple of things since his last stint as GM? He's already locked up our best offensive lineman. He seems to realize that giving Norwell an extension at the same position would be a mistake. He's just cleared some cap space and acquired 2 extra draft choices. T. Davis' contract was only given 2 more season during the negotiations. Greg's extension was reasonable.

He also seems to do a pretty good job drafting in the first round. If he hired a very competent scout team and let them do their job to determine the later choices, do you think he may possibly do a better job this time around?

FYI...For the record, I want someone else to be hired as GM for 2018. I'm just playing Devil's Adovocate.

Just now, SCO96 said:

That's funny.

I have a question for you though. Do you think it's possible that Hurney may have actually learned a couple of things since his last stint as GM? He's already locked up our best offensive lineman. He seems to realize that giving Norwell an extension at the same position would be a mistake. He's just cleared some cap space and acquired 2 extra draft choices. T. Davis' contract was only given 2 more season during the negotiations. Greg's extension was reasonable.

He also seems to do a pretty good job drafting in the first round. If he hired a very competent scout team and let them do their job to determine the later choices, do you think he may possibly do a better job this time around?

FYI...For the record, I want someone else to be hired as GM for 2018. I'm just playing Devil's Adovocate.

I want to believe that, but I’m not there yet.

The thought of him running the show on draft day terrifies me.

17 minutes ago, Udogg said:

Exactly.  It can be repeated for Funchess but Funchess isn't due 8.4 million next year.  Isn't out of shape, run's better routes, and doesn't have the football I.Q. of a tomato. 

Dre Bly was on WFNZ (i think it's called) I was listeng to internet radio.  He was on the saints staff when they played us and is specifically stating that teams don't roll their coverage to KB anymore because he doesn't scare anyone.   It was said by another ex CB after the bears game as well, just can't remember who as of now. 

The double teams were more to the fact that KB was Newton's most trusted 3rd down option and they knew he would be the first read in that situation. 

Danny Woodhead Jr, would average a lot more if the passes were better tbh.  More on Cam imo watching the video's but doesn't matter to me either way. 

Funchess also gets less separation, worst catch rate, and doesn’t have KB ball skills.

Ironically I watch film and teams are still bracketing Kelvin. Now let see what Captain said - “We just knew where Benjamin was the whole time,” Munnerlyn said then. “Funchess, we weren’t worried about him. It was Kelvin Benjamin. I’m just going to be honest. Me personally, I don’t think he is that good, No. 17 (Funchess). So we weren’t really worried about him.”

Woodhead jr averages would be better if a strong breeze wouldn’t knock him down. The only reason he has the numbers is cause Shula is force feeding him.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Curtis Samuel? 

The only way young players get better is with playing time, put them in positions to maximize strengths. We think he is a very good football player. Has a real passion for football. 

Too bad Hurney has no input on play calling and design. For every step forward, Shula is still Shula. Coordinators don't simply reinvent their philosophy in the NFL. To affect real change, you have to change coaches with experience in the philosophy that matches the skill set of the players you have. We have a power running game predicated on misdirection with two guys that can run hard straight downhill and Shula will never maximize their potential.

Again, the trading away of Benjamin, like the additions of Samuel and CMC, will not change the offensive philosophy that Mike Shula runs. We will have more of the same but with square pegs. 

Again, the issue isn't the move, it's what Hurney believes is going to happen as a result; a revolution of the offense that will open things up. The conclusion is incorrect because the premise is incorrect. Until you remove Shula and find an offensive coordinator in the mold of a Josh Daniels, our offense will be what is has been since Shula has been here. 

2015 was an outlier while every other season Shula has ever led an offense is closer to what its production capacity it. In lean manufacturing, you can only produce as fast as you're weakest link; currently, Shula's process during the play has several weak links that completely ignore the skill set of his players. 

1 hour ago, dpm0409 said:

This is the most logical thing I have read on the Huddle in the last 18 hours or so.....not saying this will be a situation like 2015, but it is the perfect example of how 95% of people thought we were completely screwed and it turned out the exact opposite.  The point is you never really know what to expect in today's NFL.  It's definitely weird timing and everything, but I'm not gonna freak out and will also withhold final judgment for a while.

Agreed. This is exactly how I feel too. Everyone figured the Panthers would be horrible in 2015 without weapons. Coupled with the awesome defense we have right now, I like the chances that this turns out okay. I've always thought Funch puts in more effort than KB (like turning into a defensive player if Cam throws a weird ball toward him... KB lets it float into the cornerback's hands instead). I can see the general logic, but it doesn't help Cam's fairly low morale at the moment...

One part of this I don't love is the idea that Samuel could emerge as a no 2 receiver. He hasn't done stellar so far but he's clearly learning... I just think it's a lot to put on him without a lot of evidence it's going to work out. I'd rather have them keep up with McCaffrey being a WR more than an RB and go from there. I'm sure that's also they're thinking after the first handful of games. 

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Translation;  The coaches cannot figure out how to utilize the current roster to maximize production so I decided to trade what I see as the main obstacle to turning this around.

We can't control Cam on the field or get Shula to rotate KB and Funchess out so they are not on the field at the same time so I got rid of KB to force Shula and Cam to find other targets.

We couldn't figure out how to use Samuel and Shepard with KB on the team so I traded him as soon as I got an offer because that will allow us to use them more.

Sounds like a smart decision alright.

I think this might be right..but you dont trade away a guy that produces.. Shula and ron were the ones that are truly sucking in their roles.. we neef a good OC that Ron lets him do his thing unless in certain situations.. ron really should not have much input on offense.

Archived