• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney discusses the Kelvin Benjamin trade...

Jeremy Igo

I really try to be level headed about all things Panthers related.. I understood the Smitty move even though I didn't like how it was done..

I signed my name on the dotted line when we let D.Will go..

I was up in arms about Norman but understood we weren't going to pay him with KK and Star and Norwell coming up.. but why not let him play under the Franchise for that one year.. meh, water under the bridge..

This one makes zero sense.. I have never attacked Big Cat ever.. and I won't.. I will just say that I hope he sells the team to someone who will just let the GM do his job AND hire a GM who does his job well..

i guess that’s why he dropped keyshawn johnson unexpectedly back in 07; bc we got jarrett in the 2nd round and marty figured well they’re the same size so as long as we got that then this rookie is basically the same player as an 11 year vet no reason to keep both.

This was the reverse trade of the single greatest trading moment of Hurneys career, which was stealing Olsen for a 3rd rounder.  The Bears had no idea how to utilize him and their offense sucked so they gave him away and we've watched him become one of the best in the game here.  Way to go Marty!

20 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Translation;  The coaches cannot figure out how to utilize the current roster to maximize production so I decided to trade what I see as the main obstacle to turning this around.

We can't control Cam on the field or get Shula to rotate KB and Funchess out so they are not on the field at the same time so I got rid of KB to force Shula and Cam to find other targets.

We couldn't figure out how to use Samuel and Shepard with KB on the team so I traded him as soon as I got an offer because that will allow us to use them more.

Sounds like a smart decision alright.

I think this might be right..but you dont trade away a guy that produces.. Shula and ron were the ones that are truly sucking in their roles.. we neef a good OC that Ron lets him do his thing unless in certain situations.. ron really should not have much input on offense.

14 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

“Same skill set”

Smfh

Other than both being bigger that’s where the similarities end. When it comes to the actual skill needed to play the position they’re nothing alike. 

This is one of those times when it's good to remember that Marty does not have a scouting background. He got his start in journalism and public relations.

23 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Every one knew before the season started KB and Funch don’t mesh well, yet he came to that realization now?

And instead of benching Funchess or trading Funchess, we trade Cam’s best receiver.

Is this a Hurney issue or a Gettlemen issue? 

Also the best WR is due 8.4 mill next year and it's debatable whether he is the best. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

What do you do with the extra cap room? 

Have not had in depth conversations with Norwell. You have to decide what positions to spend your money.

I may be in the minority, but I'm actually encouraged by this statement. We're already paying Trai Turner elite guard money to play RG. We really can't afford to give another huge extension to a guy playing the same position unless he's a bonafide All-Pro (which Norwell isn't). We saw what happened during Hurney's last tenure when he gave lucrative extensions to "Double Trouble". In hindsight that was a big mistake.

We're going to have extra picks in this years draft so we could find a replacement via the draft or thru FA (I don't think the answer is on the roster).  We don't have a strong interior run blocking and we need an upgrade at 2 positions (really at 3 positions when you factor in Kahlil at LT). I don't see how the running game can possibly improve if the interior starters next season aren't changed and we essentially bring back the same O-line to start 2018. 

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Did you discuss with Cam? 

No, did not run it by Cam. Hasn't spoken to Cam yet. Ron and I meet and Ron and I agreed to move forward. 

30 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Re: the strange timing

Reducing someones role is a hard thing to do, especially receivers. Doesn't know if he could have reduced KB's role. We are hoping that guys can step up. 

To me, this reads as:

1. Somebody (Marty? Ron?) wanted different rotations, but wasn't getting their way on this even though they should have the authority to make these decisions. Somebody (Shula? KB? Cam?) was being inflexible, and straight up ignoring the HC and GM, so they pulled rank and shipped off our WR1.

2. They knew a stink would be made over this, so they left key members of the team in the dark and made a hasty decision. Locker room might be turning toxic.

30 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

Is Philly Brown on an nfl roster currently, if not that is who the additional receiver should be. Philly and Cam had chemistry and he was good at stretching the field. 

I'd like to see Philly B back.  I think he was getting better and better as each season went along.   As you said at least he and Cam have some chemistry together.  Wouldn't be a bad move at all. 

5 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I may be in the minority, but I'm actually encouraged by this statement. We're already paying Trai Turner elite guard money to play RG. We really can't afford to give another huge extension to a guy playing the same position unless he's a bonafide All-Pro (which Norwell isn't). We saw what happened during Hurney's last tenure when he gave lucrative extensions to "Double Trouble". In hindsight that was a big mistake.

We're going to have extra picks in this years draft so we could find a replacement via the draft or thru FA (I don't think the answer is on the roster).  We don't have a strong interior run blocking and we need an upgrade at 2 positions (really at 3 positions when you factor in Kahlil at LT). I don't see how the running game can possibly improve if the interior starters next season aren't changed and we essentially bring back the same O-line to start 2018. 

Ding mother%$%$%%$$ ding. 

6 minutes ago, Udogg said:

Is this a Hurney issue or a Gettlemen issue? 

Also the best WR is due 8.4 mill next year and it's debatable whether he is the best. 

It’s both their issue. Gettleman is an idiot and Hurney is a moron

Their is no debate, he was our best receiver 

Archived