• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney discusses the Kelvin Benjamin trade...

Jeremy Igo

37 minutes ago, klumme said:

Fine we get it. Ron and Hurney thinks we had two of the same style players and wanted something else. A little weird first to get that now but ok.... But if you you realize we have two, style wise alike players. Why not trade the worst away? Not the the best. 

KB is clearly the better player, and its not really that close.

ppSTATS

REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2017 Regular Season 33 58 357 10.8 24 3 20 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
Career 87 181 1,201 13.8 52 12 64 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 1
Projected 66 116 714 10.8 24 6 40 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

STATS

2017 Regular Season 32 51 475 14.8 43 2 21 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
Career 168 315 2,424 14.4 51 18 121 0 0 0.0 0 0 2 2
Projected 64 102 950 14.8 43 4 42 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

"KB is clearly the better player, and its not really that close."

One receiver is the #1 receiver and will have a Cap hit of $8.5mm in 2018. His trade value reduces significantly after the trading deadline which just passed.
The other receiver is the #2 receiver and will have a Cap hit of $1.7mm in 2018.

The production numbers are obviously very similar and both receivers are of the same build and measureables. As a Coach and GM, it has become obvious that playing both receivers simultaneously 1) does not maximize utility for all the offense parts of the team, and 2) limits the offensive plays when both receivers are on the field.

Reducing one receiver's role becomes an optimal move as that allows more receiving skill sets onto the field. From there, 1) either one player is simply benched, or 2) a trade of one player is done if premium value is offered.

In a league where the playoff contending Dolphins just traded away their unquestionable #1 RB for a 4th round pick AND the defending Super Bowl champions traded away their only backup QB to the starting 40yr old QB for a 2nd round pick...I question how any serious thinking football fan of the Panthers can not understand that trading away Kelvin Benjamin - a lower quartile #1 NFL receiver - for a 3rd and 7th round pick in the current marketplace is not a steal for the Panthers against a desperate Bills organization that is obviously attempting to end the almost 20-yr playoff drought that they are in. And that doesn't factor in the ridiculously great benefit to the team's Cap structure from hereon by losing the KB contract.

24 minutes ago, GusLevy said:

ppSTATS

2017 Regular Season 33 58 357 10.8 24 3 20 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
Career 87 181 1,201 13.8 52 12 64 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 1
Projected 66 116 714 10.8 24 6 40 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

STATS

2017 Regular Season 32 51 475 14.8 43 2 21 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
Career 168 315 2,424 14.4 51 18 121 0 0 0.0 0 0 2 2
Projected 64 102 950 14.8 43 4 42 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

"KB is clearly the better player, and its not really that close."

One receiver is the #1 receiver and will have a Cap hit of $8.5mm in 2018. His trade value reduces significantly after the trading deadline which just passed.
The other receiver is the #2 receiver and will have a Cap hit of $1.7mm in 2018.

The production numbers are obviously very similar and both receivers are of the same build and measureables. As a Coach and GM, it has become obvious that playing both receivers simultaneously 1) does not maximize utility for all the offense parts of the team, and 2) limits the offensive plays when both receivers are on the field.

Reducing one receiver's role becomes an optimal move as that allows more receiving skill sets onto the field. From there, 1) either one player is simply benched, or 2) a trade of one player is done if premium value is offered.

In a league where the playoff contending Dolphins just traded away their unquestionable #1 RB for a 4th round pick AND the defending Super Bowl champions traded away their only backup QB to the starting 40yr old QB for a 2nd round pick...I question how any serious thinking football fan of the Panthers can not understand that trading away Kelvin Benjamin - a lower quartile #1 NFL receiver - for a 3rd and 7th round pick in the current marketplace is not a steal for the Panthers against a desperate Bills organization that is obviously attempting to end the almost 20-yr playoff drought that they are in. And that doesn't factor in the ridiculously great benefit to the team's Cap structure from hereon by losing the KB contract.

Not arguing the points made, Hurney pissed off a lot of people by saying this move was made to make the team faster, when we didn't add anyone. Addition by subtraction, that means the answer has been on the team all along and the coaches were just too ignorant to actually see it. This team has some serious issues at the leadership level, and it's become more obvious by the day. 

5 hours ago, beastson said:

So Ron agreed with trading him away? Nobody is discussing that?

I'll bet that during the 10 minute conversation, Ron's only answers were, "you're the GM, not me" and "not my decision to make" and "whatever you say, I'm not the GM".

4 hours ago, Darvinsun said:

Does it seem funny to you that just about all Cams buddies seem to have been traded away ecemtly to the bills..Maybe Mc dermont sees the value in these players and actually knows how to use them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Beane called when the season ends to ask about Cam's availability.

The Huddle is in shock. Talking like First Graders to rationalize the trade. Stop blaming everyone except the GM that did it. It's not Rivera's fault or Shula's fault or KB's fault or Cam's fault. It's stupidity and that stupidity belongs to Marty Hurney alone.

What bothers me the most, as other posters have pointed out, the lack of planning.

Reaction to a Bills call-OK trade Benjamin--no great loss, but to salvage this season, how about getting on the phone & getting a TY Hilton  this year.

Pathetic.

So, those high sailing passes... thought that was the major upside in Kelvin and Fun... to reel some of them in.  I have heard about speed and route trees advantages.. and i can agree with that also, but we really need to remember the original purpose in signing some tall receivers to begin with.  That being said, props to Bersin.. the Jason Voorhees of football he keeps coming back again and again LOL

Archived