• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

True or False - Panthers offense is now a Funchess injury away from being historically bad

Jeremy Igo

42 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

KB wasn’t the reason Shepard wasn’t getting looks. If you look at the targets this season for the WR’s you could argue Funchess and McCaffery are the reasons why.

They are trying to blame KB when in reality Cam has been force feeding Mccaffrey and Funchess more and more

44 minutes ago, Darvinsun said:

I agree..i guess they think Cam did such a good job 2015 w/o Kelvin that the results will be the same.  I don't think so bc Cam is not the same person health wise and mentally...We shall see if this works...when is bryd expected back?

Byrd is done

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Well? 

It's not like we were setting the end zones on fire before this trade. And right now, there's no way to predict if an injury to Funchess would cause major problems or make no really big deal.

What will make the biggest deal for us is the return of Greg Olsen. Want to know why we can't move the ball? It really comes down to him. All Panthers receivers benefit from him being on the field as he generally draws double coverage, pulling a safety and a linebacker on many plays, sometimes even the nickel defender.

Want to know why we can't run the ball? The linebacker assigned to double up on Olsen is now free to attack the line or spy the running back. The safety that would normally be watching him pre-snap can watch the backfield more. 

Passing game? Really, do we have to spell this out? If Olsen isn't out there to grab attention, coverage and passes, then our rather pedestrian receivers get blanketed pretty easily. Speed doesn't matter if that free safety can play deep center field and provide over the top coverage on your speedster. Big, tall receivers can be neutralized by multiple defenders.

Olsen comes back, everything starts working better. And it really doesn't matter who the rest of the receivers are. One of the biggest beneficiaries of Olsen on the field has been Benjamin from day one. Without Olsen, Benjamin drew more coverage and honestly, just wasn't the superstar we'd hoped for. I don't expect a huge change for Funchess, and I am a fan of his, until Olsen comes back on the field. 

When Olsen comes back, you'll see how everyone will get a boost on the offense.

Archived