• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Three Thoughts...

Jeremy Igo

After some hours of mulling this over, I think the big message being sent here is more or less "make plays" or your spot can disappear.

I was personally iffy about his knee also...but I think the bigger message to the other receivers is clear! Make the damn play! Seems to me Hurney is trying to take on a bit of Gettleman persona ( I prefer the term balls) in terms of letting players know that as we always heard many times before..the roster is always under evaluation!

Will it light a fire in the other receivers and production increase? Probably not in time for this so important ATL game sadly. But i think this offense did need a shakeup of some sort. Sadly the coaches were not able to get that done. 

Wishing KB the best

Thought 1

Maybe this was Hurneys way of forcing Ron and Shula to use samuel more.  Also, the twin towers idea wasnt working, at least we got something out of it.  

Thought 2

You may be right, but maybe not.  Time will tell

Thought 3

I cant remember thought 3 atm.

I think we need to give this a couple weeks to see if our offense improves with more speed on the field. I don’t agree that it would be easy to take reps away from KB and accomplish this with him on the team given his attitude. Also appears Panthers had no interest in signing KB long term after this year and really didn’t want to exercise the 5th year option and pay him $8.5 million next year. 

If Funchess and Samuel blossom in the weeks to come this will be a genius move. If they don’t, this will define our season and could cause this team to implode.

I don’t like the timing either, but it’s hard to forget the fact that KB quit on the team last year and then showed up to camp overweight. This isn’t the kind of player you want to sign to a long term big money. 

My main concern is the timing. Trading KB in the off-season I could accept, but mid-season, when the offense is already struggling??!!  Those struggles can not all be blamed on KB.  I don't buy the addition by subtraction rationale, at least not in the short term. And not without other proven receivers on the roster. Greg is on IR for 3 to 4 more weeks, and we've got a few guys who show promise.  But showing promise and being proven are very different.

We want more speed on the field? Didn't have to trade KB to do that. Target Russell and Curtis more. Problem is Cam missed training camp.  He has little to no chemistry with Shepard or Samuel... I doubt they click right away. If it takes 3 or 4 weeks that's probably our season.

This team doesn't handle distractions well and we just gave them a massive distraction, while we're in the middle of what looks to be an extremely tough and competitive division and playoff race.

I hope I'm wrong, but the timing seems terrible as does the fact that we traded him ONLY for picks, not any help on the field NOW.

I hope Funch stays healthy!!!! 

3 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

My main concern is the timing. Trading KB in the off-season I could accept, but mid-season, when the offense is already struggling??!!  Those struggles can not all be blamed on KB.  I don't buy the addition by subtraction rationale, at least not in the short term. And not without other proven receivers on the roster. Greg is on IR for 3 to 4 more weeks, and we've got a few guys who show promise.  But showing promise and being proven are very different.

We want more speed on the field? Didn't have to trade KB to do that. Target Russell and Curtis more. Problem is Cam missed training camp.  He has little to no chemistry with Shepard or Samuel... I doubt they click right away. If it takes 3 or 4 weeks that's probably our season.

This team doesn't handle distractions well and we just gave them a massive distraction, while we're in the middle of what looks to be an extremely tough and competitive division and playoff race.

I hope I'm wrong, but the timing seems terrible as does the fact that we traded him ONLY for picks, not any help on the field NOW.

I hope Funch stays healthy!!!! 

You make some very good points and I wonder if Panthers also had concerns over KBs knee. 

Bills have traded a lot of talent this year and actually improved. 

Actually, I think that management is looking for players with the killer instinct, which is something we are lacking this season.

KB, for all the gifts of height and hands he had, isn't one to battle for the ball. He plays like a good-natured fellow who gets to take it easy because of his size, and he moves through cuts and contact like he's afraid that knee will give out on him again. He can be a good target, but not if he had to fight for it.

Buffalo needs him, and they're paying a hefty price for him, both in draft picks and contract dollars. We need some picks and we need some of those dollars, mainly to invest on the lines, offensive and defensive. We're a team that the coaches want to play tough, smash mouth football, but as a group we're soft as cupcakes on the offensive side. Benjamin wasn't necessarily standing out in this respect, but he was the easiest cupcake to let go of.

Maybe it will toughen some of the folks up. Maybe our tackles will play a bit stouter at the worry of heading up to Cleveland next season. Maybe JStew will shed the new daddy softness and get back to sending safeties flying through the air when he hits the line. Maybe our maulers at guard will actually start knocking people around again. Maybe Cam will pop back up after a hit and go after a defense like he used to and make them pay.

Guys like Thomas Davis, Pep, Luke, Shaq, KK, Star and Super Mario are out there just beating the snot out of the competition, busting knuckles and cracking ribs. It might be time for the offense to throw their weight around rather than worry about their manicures.

Archived