• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Speaks...

Jeremy Igo

30 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

The most ironic thing is that while Benjamin was not as good as we hoped he would be, he is better than any Wide Receiver that Hurney ever drafted.  And Hurney had 8 or 9 years.  During that 8 or 9 years, our picks under Hurney were as follows

Keary Colbert

Drew Carter

Armanti Edwards

Dwayne Jarret

Ryne Robinson

Brandon Lafell

David Gettis

Keahola Pilares

Not exactly an awe inspiring list.  Only one of them had anything approaching a decent career (Lafell).  I am fairly certain I could do better than that just by picking names out of a hat.

If kb wasnt 6'5 and almost 250 pounds how good would he be? 

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

He is that size, so what is your point?  

My point is outside of that not that much else has contributed to his success in the league. We have been waiting on him to put it all together and maybe team just saw it wasn't gonna get any better. They could have waited to make that decision but they obviously did it sooner.

7 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

My point is outside of that not that much else has contributed to his success in the league. We have been waiting on him to put it all together and maybe team just saw it wasn't gonna get any better. They could have waited to make that decision but they obviously did it sooner.

And he is still better than anyone Hurney EVER drafted, which is what I said.  For that matter, he is probably better than all of them combined.  Had they traded him for another receiver with a decent chance of playing well for us, it would make the trade palatable.  As it is, he is the only receiver we have healthy that has shown he can catch the ball in traffic on anything approaching a consistent basis.  Now we go with Funchess who has the the same number of catches as KB, but gets targeted more.  And some other guys.  And that is it.  Maybe one of them steps up, but its highly unlikely.  And if no one steps up, then Hurney deserves to be canned.  

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

And he is still better than anyone Hurney EVER drafted, which is what I said.  For that matter, he is probably better than all of them combined.  Had they traded him for another receiver with a decent chance of playing well for us, it would make the trade palatable.  As it is, he is the only receiver we have healthy that has shown he can catch the ball in traffic on anything approaching a consistent basis.  Now we go with Funchess who has the the same number of catches as KB, but gets targeted more.  And some other guys.  And that is it.  Maybe one of them steps up, but its highly unlikely.

When we drafted KB we literally had nothing at receiver because you know the other guy cut everybody else. It was receiver or bust that year. Kb disappointing would have been a knockout blow to us. You could make the argument that ginn was more important to the offense while he was here. 

Just now, CPF4LIFE said:

When we drafted KB we literally had nothing at receiver because you know the other guy cut everybody else. It was receiver or bust that year. Kb disappointing would have been a knockout blow to us. 

Hurney was an idiot for getting rid of KB at this juncture.  Doesn't mean I agree with what Gettleman did irt Smith or Norman.  But at least Gettleman didn't do it in the middle of the season.  

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Makes perfect sense to me. I always said that if Shaquille O'Neal was 6'5" he wouldn't have done much in the NBA because he wasn't a solid shooter and a bad free throw shooter. He clearly never worked on any other aspect of his game. Orlando should have gotten rid of him earlier, it's not like he had much success after them.

This is ain't basketball my friend. 

22 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

If kb wasnt 6'5 and almost 250 pounds how good would he be? 

Ireelevant. He is those things.

If Newton wasn't the same how good would he be? How good would Shaquille  Oneill have been if he wasn't big?

2 minutes ago, csx said:

If Newton wadntvtgst same how good would he be? How good would Shawiole Oneil have been if he wasn't big?

Okay guy, then WHY did we really trade him then? You really think this decision came down to just Hurney? He has only been GM for 3 months, u think the staff had nothing to do this? Explain please. 

5 minutes ago, csx said:

If Newton wadntvtgst same how good would he be? How good would Shawiole Oneil have been if he wasn't big?

You can still have big arm as a qb, you can still be elusive. You can still be a running QB. 

Watson, wilson examples. Answer you question? 

If you think of it this way. Look at the top receiving corps and passing teams in the league. (For comparison lets act as if every QB is equal) 

What do most, if not all, have in common? They have a 5’10” guy that can stretch the field with speed and a 6’2”-6’4” guy to go up and make a play 1-on-1 when needed. (Some teams only have TE , some have a TE and a WR that fit this criteria ) 

The panthers had 2 of these tall 6 foot receivers on both sides of the ball and no legit speed threat because they were so far down the depth chart. With the trade of Benji, it will force the panthers to play more like most NFL teams and I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing. The game is changing towards more speed and the panthers simply haven’t had it with Benjamin and Funchess playing along side each other. 

This trade will make the panthers a better team and make Cam a better quarterback in the long run *

* hopefully

Archived