• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can this defense win a Superbowl?

Jeremy Igo

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Elite QBs in good offensive systems slice up defenses. Stafford threw for 400+ against the Steelers last night. 

And if this defense was good enough to win a Super Bowl with an ineffective offense, they’d need to be able to shut those QBs down. They can’t. Thread over.

In order to win a superbowl with an elite defense and a sh*t offense you have to create turnovers, and limit turnovers, which we have done neither (although yesterday's game is a good step). Our offense is just too much of a hindrance right now. Not to mention our our pass rush is mediocre with just a 4 man rush. Both the Ravens and Denver teams had elite pass rushing which we simply do not. Also, Ron's preventive mode does not allow us to play that type of game because he will always allow a team to just waltz back into a game when we go up by 10+ points.

Can it?  Sure.

Will it?  Not likely.

We would have to play almost mistake free on offense, and probably get multiple turnovers per game, while having Special Teams continually flip the field....oh, and play aggressively for 4 quarters, while allowing no big plays.

If we could consistently run the ball...maybe.  If we could occasionally hit a big/splash play on offense...maybe.  

I think the defense is certainly SB caliber...so long as we stay healthy.  Another thing to note is that our ST unit is actually a quality unit this year.  If we get the offense to the point of being even average, then we can certainly compete for the Lombardi.  

17 minutes ago, hepcat said:

And if this defense was good enough to win a Super Bowl with an ineffective offense, they’d need to be able to shut those QBs down. They can’t. Thread over.

You can't "shut them down" in today's NFL. The rules are heavily slanted to favor the offense. The measure of a dominant defense is different than it was 20 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can't "shut them down" in today's NFL. The rules are heavily slanted to favor the offense. The measure of a dominant defense is different than it was 20 years ago. 

Uh, see 2015 Denver Broncos 

And 2013 Seahawks

11 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I think the defense is certainly SB caliber...so long as we stay healthy.  Another thing to note is that our ST unit is actually a quality unit this year.  If we get the offense to the point of being even average, then we can certainly compete for the Lombardi.  

Have you seen anything from the return game that leads you to believe that will get better?

I know that CMC has had a couple runs come back for stupid penalties, but for a defensive team to have a shot in the playoffs, they typically need something from STeams.

I think it's possible, but turnovers (like we had yesterday) need to become more of the norm not the exception.  IMO, Not really 2000 Ravens, I think more along the lines of 2015 Broncos, Dominant defense, offense that can't get out of it's own way, and finished the year on the negative side of the turnover ratio but took care of the ball and got turnovers in the playoffs.  We do that, we can make a run, but step 1 is creating a run game.  The second part will be getting Olsen back, those 2 things can propel us.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Still gave up almost 3200 yards in the air. 20 years prior the best pass defense gave up 2746. Different eras. 

Dude you’re nit picking stats and I’m not even sure why. What are you trying to defend? The 2015 Broncos shut down HOF QBs en route to the Super Bowl and then completely ruined MVP Cam Newton and the Panthers offense. You can’t just say some dumb poo that it’s a “different era” and a badass defense can’t shut down great QBs just because they gave up more yards.

I also added the 2013 Seahawks as a reference who shut down Peyton Manning in a year they were breaking all kinds of offensive records or is that too long ago too?

Archived