• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Same as it ever was - How Tony Dungy dealt with Shula's overly complex play calling

Jeremy Igo

Perhaps there's another parallel to draw from Dungy's Bucs. They always had a great defense, but after letting go of Dungy (which the owners really didn't want to do as they liked him so much as a person), they brought in a brash offensive mind in Gruden. With Dungy's defense still mostly intact, Gruden's offense carried the Bucs to a Super Bowl. 

I'm not saying bring in Gruden, that ship has sailed, but bringing in a young brash offensive mind, perhaps someone like Bill Lazor, might be the answer.

12 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

You were right @Jeremy Igo. You said all this right after they promoted Shula to OC, and I tried to see the glass as half full and remain optimistic. Shula has been terrible for the Panthers. 

Everybody said this, not just igo, not one single person was on board with it when it happened 

32 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

And just like that... Ron has thoughts about simplifying the offense.

Igo =  Nostradamus 

It's called common sense, which you would THINK a professional NFL coach would have. Unfortunately, looks like Ron is suffering from CTE.

3 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Honestly, we should all be hoping for zero more wins this season. That is the only way these clowns get fired. 

Sadly, I don't even think THAT would be enough. Let's face it, Ron is here until his contract is up. JR not about to pay another coach to not be on the team.

Mr. Richardson doesn't have enough time left on the planet to burn through a fraction of all the money he has acquired.  So, I doubt JR would hesitate to fire Ron and the rest of the staff despite the financial loss if he believed it would secure a Lombardi Trophy for the Panthers. 

Seems like some here don't recall JR fired Head Coach Dom Capers with 8 years remaining on his 10 year contract. 

2 hours ago, trueblade said:

Perhaps there's another parallel to draw from Dungy's Bucs. They always had a great defense, but after letting go of Dungy (which the owners really didn't want to do as they liked him so much as a person), they brought in a brash offensive mind in Gruden. With Dungy's defense still mostly intact, Gruden's offense carried the Bucs to a Super Bowl. 

I'm not saying bring in Gruden, that ship has sailed, but bringing in a young brash offensive mind, perhaps someone like Bill Lazor, might be the answer.

That wasn't Dungys D that was Monty Kiffins D and he was the reason their defense was great for a few years there...

Our team pours most of the resources to the D and haven't had a D preform on any of those Tampa's defenses level...it's sickening because everything about this team should be so much better than what it is

1 hour ago, -13 Amp- said:

That wasn't Dungys D that was Monty Kiffins D and he was the reason their defense was great for a few years there...

Our team pours most of the resources to the D and haven't had a D preform on any of those Tampa's defenses level...it's sickening because everything about this team should be so much better than what it is

So whose defense was that in Indianapolis? 

16 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Mr. Richardson doesn't have enough time left on the planet to burn through a fraction of all the money he has acquired.  So, I doubt JR would hesitate to fire Ron and the rest of the staff despite the financial loss if he believed it would secure a Lombardi Trophy for the Panthers. 

Seems like some here don't recall JR fired Head Coach Dom Capers with 8 years remaining on his 10 year contract. 

I think Richardson made it crystal clear back in July the priority that he sets between Lombardi Trophies and relationships.  

Archived