• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Actually, no.  They can substitute anytime they want.  The no-huddle, however, can catch them making that change or catch them with extra players.

I've seen teams substitute on defense against the no-huddle before.  It ain't easy and it has to be done quick as hell (it has to be prepped and lined up and ready to go on the sideline), but it can be done if the offense isn't immediately ready to take advantage of it.

Pretty much what I said. But if it makes you feel better, well done.

Of course teams can substitute any time they want. If they really feel they must substitute, going no huddle won't stop them. But it sure makes them pay a price for doing so. 

9 minutes ago, Casto said:

I'm sorry. I am not sure where I lost you.

You lost me where the athleticism of even elite human athletes pales in comparison to most of the rest of the animal world. We survived due to our intelligence and versatility of our upright posture combined with opposable thumbs and depth perception via our eye placement, not due to our athleticism. In terms of sheer physical athleticism, we're nothing out there. We would've never stood a chance in the game of natural selection without those other attributes.

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

I get what you're saying, but I'm talking right now, even in our recent game when Cam was slinging it our run game was still iffy. Let's just be honest here, if not for a fantastic throw and catch from Cam to KB for the game winning first down, our lack of run game might have very well lost us the game in Detriot. We need improvement pronto. That's all there is to it.

Let's be honest here. As long as teams are stacking the box to take the run game away, the run game is going to suffer. It is just that simple and plain. Teams knew Cam was struggling to regain his form. So they were taking away the run, and daring him to throw. 

After how Cam has slung it around the last 2 games. I would expect that strategy to change. Or Cam is going to have a historic season.

You are worried over a run game that is being schemed against big time. I would think that almost every team would struggle under those circumstances.

I won't deny that CMC adds a new dimension to our offense. I won't deny that his stats have been good. I won't deny that he 'could' develop as a runner. Or that we can use him better. But 8th overall?

It's easy to drop a stat like top receiver so far. But as a saints thread about this thread reasonably argues do his numbers impress when compared to a mid-round pick like Kamara? Its still a small sample size.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/panthers-fans-spinning-facts-about-mccaffrey-373732/#.Wd7wzY-Cy1s

Cmac
34 carries for 96 yards (2.8 ypc) 0 Td
27 receptions for 237 yards (8.8 ypr) 1 TD

Kamara
15 carries for 83 yards (5.5 ypc) 1 TD
20 receptions for 147 yards (7.4 ypr) 1 TD

I'm not ready to declare him as a transformative impacting player just yet. Admittedly it is too early to say that about anyone and I appreciate other fans enthusiasm for him. The only thing I would say is that most of the other guys I wanted instead of him have done very little also and even with the benefit of hindsight I can't think of many players I would have chosen instead. 

But for me the jury is still out on whether he was worth the 8th pick. 

1 hour ago, SeoulPanther said:

But for me the jury is still out on whether he was worth the 8th pick. 

Same here. And its possible it could take 2-3 seasons to make that judgement. His rushing has been very underwhelming for the most part. But I think you have to try to be patient at least for a couple of seasons to see how the team evolves , let him play more games with a full healthy oline and get more carries and touches in a game . j

IF I had to make a very hasty judgement right now, I'd say hes not worth it so far. Really he's like our change of pace RB and our reliable checkdown slot WR, which sounds like a player you'd usually pick up in rounds 2-4 and def not in top 10 of round 1. 

Yeah I think some players take a while to get going in the NFL to have respectable/good careers. But I've noticed a trend of all time greats being amazing from the get go or at least showing some very promising flashes in their first year. So far McCaffrey had that happen once in 5 games against the saints when our #1 WR went down

Not sure if he'll ever live up to his draft status on the stat sheet, but I do like the effect he's had on our offense. He's given us another guy on the field that the defense is being forced to account for. Stew is just too limited these days. He's still a quality runner between the tackles, but he's just plain bad outside the tackles and Shula loves to run him up the gut on the 1st down even when the D is selling out against the run

He'll probably end up being a serviceable player for us, but it would probably take a different team and system to maximize his potential. At Stanford he had great success running but he probably needed Stanfords excellent downhill blocking scheme to achieve it (ex. see how well bryce love is doing in the same scheme), hes not good at plowing through players or bouncing off tackles , and our line doesn't run block well, its a bad combo.

I think his real gift is catching and running in space . Sure He usually gets about 5 catches and 30 something receiving yards a game, but if you actually watch some of these plays , its pretty awesome.. And the one game he gets 9 catches? Over 100 yards receiving. I can only imagine if he was a dedicated WR he'd probably be great. 

12 hours ago, TheRed said:

It seems like you're trying to defend CMC, and from what I honestly have no idea because I was thrilled when we drafted him and I'm pretty happy with him right now. But that doesn't mean I don't think we need improvement if we want to win a Lombardi trophy.

We are a running team. The run opens the pass, and gives Cam some breathing room, and just opens up our offense all around. Eventually our inability to get much going in the ground game is going to become an issue if it continues. This isn't an indictment on CMC or Stewart as much as it is our run blocking and inopportune playcalling. But to deny it outright as a concern is just being flat out disingenuous.

Historically, I wouldn't say we have had a good inside run game in the Rivera era. Cam and Stew hid blemishes in the zone read. How many times did we see Stewart break tackles behind the line of scrimmage for a 3 yard gain?

Right now the inside zone read is muted because Cam is less likely to break one. Under Rivera we've never been able to establish that traditional Qb under center run game. 

On the stretch runs Ive seen a lot of lineman falling down and disrupting our scheme. Maybe experience or Kalil will help that going forward.

13 hours ago, TheRed said:

It seems like you're trying to defend CMC, and from what I honestly have no idea because I was thrilled when we drafted him and I'm pretty happy with him right now. But that doesn't mean I don't think we need improvement if we want to win a Lombardi trophy.

We are a running team. The run opens the pass, and gives Cam some breathing room, and just opens up our offense all around. Eventually our inability to get much going in the ground game is going to become an issue if it continues. This isn't an indictment on CMC or Stewart as much as it is our run blocking and inopportune playcalling. But to deny it outright as a concern is just being flat out disingenuous.

I love it when you race bait and nobody falls for it. :Eggplant_Emoji_Icon_42x42:

I would be perfectly happy to play him as a receiver with occassional runs on sweeps etc. I'm not at all surprised about his hands and routes. From the day he was born, he's been coached by a former NFL receiver who was pretty darn good. CMC's baby rattle didn't have a handle. It was a plastic football with beads in it.

19 hours ago, saints4lifeagain said:

He's having an impressive rookie year. Probably the 3rd or 4th best rookie RB so far.

Thats not bad, easily the best rookie running back crop thats come out in a long time. Then you have guys like Foreman and a few others just waiting with the talent to take over the lead role and guys like Kamara and CMC that are very good complements to their main guys who will only get better as the season progresses.

Archived