• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

Running it all the time would mean it would no longer surprise anyone, or catch them off guard.  I like the fact that we pick and choose our spots to run it.

Buffalo did it successfully with Jim Kelly and the K-Gun.

More recently though, Chip Kelly ran it poorly and wound up running his own defense into the ground.

I guess the moral of the story is that it can be done, but to be effective it has to be done right.

(and to have someone named Kelly)

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Running it all the time would mean it would no longer surprise anyone, or catch them off guard.  I like the fact that we pick and choose our spots to run it.

Not really true IMO. Carolina/Cam has always been at its most dangerous in a slow pace version of the no huddle IMO.  Our Super Boel season we ran it all the time.  It isn’t the no huddle the poster implied though. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Buffalo did it successfully with Jim Kelly and the K-Gun.

More recently though, Chip Kelly ran it poorly and wound up running his own defense into the ground.

I guess the moral of the story is that it can be done, but to be effective it has to be done right.

(and to have someone named Kelly)

And Buffalo lost four superbowls to teams that ran more traditional offenses.  Got blown out in three of them. Even though they probably had better offensive talent than at least two of the teams they faced. IMO, running it continuously  against subpar teams with weak defenses would likely work.  Against better teams with better defenses, probably not.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

So...we are not going to the post season, unless CmC picks it up running the ball? Dang, and here I was goofy enough to think we were good enough, that we could win, without him having to run wild. I am just so glad you talked me out of having any hope of success for the future. Shew, I sure dodged a bullet there didn't I?

CmC has already made our Offense more versatile, and deadly. Which makes our team better. Throw in Cam being Cam again. And it does not matter one whit where CmC gets his yards. Whether through the air, or on the ground, the kid has already made a yuge impact. 

tl/dr version; It is no where near cut, and dried, that CmC must improve his running for us to be dangerous.

It seems like you're trying to defend CMC, and from what I honestly have no idea because I was thrilled when we drafted him and I'm pretty happy with him right now. But that doesn't mean I don't think we need improvement if we want to win a Lombardi trophy.

We are a running team. The run opens the pass, and gives Cam some breathing room, and just opens up our offense all around. Eventually our inability to get much going in the ground game is going to become an issue if it continues. This isn't an indictment on CMC or Stewart as much as it is our run blocking and inopportune playcalling. But to deny it outright as a concern is just being flat out disingenuous.

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Not really true IMO. Carolina/Cam has always been at its most dangerous in a slow pace version of the no huddle IMO.  Our Super Boel season we ran it all the time.  It isn’t the no huddle the poster implied though. 

We ran it sometimes, picked and chose our spots.  IMO, that is part of the reason it was successful.  

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

And Buffalo lost four superbowls to teams that ran more traditional offenses.  Got blown out in three of them. Even though they probably had better offensive talent than at least two of the teams they faced. IMO, running it continuously  against subpar teams with weak defenses would likely work.  Against better teams with better defenses, probably not.

Fair point.

I'm not a fan of gimmick offenses.

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We ran it sometimes, picked and chose our spots.  IMO, that is part of the reason it was successful.  

Well they ran it for huge spans in 2015.  They often just leaned on that approach more than picking and choosing once how successful it was emerged IMO.   But it was never a true no huddle offense as most teams run them.   

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fair point.

I'm not a fan of gimmick offenses.

I think there's a big difference between Jim Kelly's and Peyton's no huddles than Chip Kelly, besides the obvious success/failure:

Bills/Colts no huddles were basically huddles at the line, take stock of the defense, audible, run play. They still used up a lot of play clock. 

Kelly/Eagles no huddle was hurry up to the line and snap it, don't read anything, just get the play off. 

No reason we can't be running a no huddle like the Bills and Colts. And when those teams try to sub, we make them pay for it.

22 minutes ago, TheRed said:

It seems like you're trying to defend CMC, and from what I honestly have no idea because I was thrilled when we drafted him and I'm pretty happy with him right now. But that doesn't mean I don't think we need improvement if we want to win a Lombardi trophy.

We are a running team. The run opens the pass, and gives Cam some breathing room, and just opens up our offense all around. Eventually our inability to get much going in the ground game is going to become an issue if it continues. This isn't an indictment on CMC or Stewart as much as it is our run blocking and inopportune playcalling. But to deny it outright as a concern is

Now that Cam is back healthy, and happy. Teams will no longer get away with stacking the box. And that was the main reason we were having trouble running the ball. Teams were stopping the run, and daring Cam to beat them. They can no longer do so.

That said. If teams back off respecting Cam, and we still struggle to run the ball. Then, I will be worried. But until then, I am not going to worry about not being able to run the ball against team geared up to stop it.

26 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well they ran it for huge spans in 2015.  They often just leaned on that approach more than picking and choosing once how successful it was emerged IMO.   But it was never a true no huddle offense as most teams run them.   

There is a philosophical difference between the no huddle, and the hurry up. Folks really owe it to themselves to learn the difference. Most teams will go no huddle in the right circumstances. Whereas, go hurry up outside of end of halfs, and playing catch up, will cost you big time. Just ask Jim Kelly.

1 hour ago, dldove77 said:

I think there's a big difference between Jim Kelly's and Peyton's no huddles than Chip Kelly, besides the obvious success/failure:

Bills/Colts no huddles were basically huddles at the line, take stock of the defense, audible, run play. They still used up a lot of play clock. 

Kelly/Eagles no huddle was hurry up to the line and snap it, don't read anything, just get the play off. 

No reason we can't be running a no huddle like the Bills and Colts. And when those teams try to sub, we make them pay for it.

Well, the other "obvious" difference is that one was successful at the pro level whereas the other only worked at the college level.

2 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Going no huddle stops the Defense from substituting

Actually, no.  They can substitute anytime they want.  The no-huddle, however, can catch them making that change or catch them with extra players.

I've seen teams substitute on defense against the no-huddle before.  It ain't easy and it has to be done quick as hell (it has to be prepped and lined up and ready to go on the sideline), but it can be done if the offense isn't immediately ready to take advantage of it.

Archived