• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

Clearly we drafted a talented player. But this run game needs to get going if we're wanting to make it to the postseason and beyond. There's no sugar coating it.

So...we are not going to the post season, unless CmC picks it up running the ball? Dang, and here I was goofy enough to think we were good enough, that we could win, without him having to run wild. I am just so glad you talked me out of having any hope of success for the future. Shew, I sure dodged a bullet there didn't I?

CmC has already made our Offense more versatile, and deadly. Which makes our team better. Throw in Cam being Cam again. And it does not matter one whit where CmC gets his yards. Whether through the air, or on the ground, the kid has already made a yuge impact. 

tl/dr version; It is no where near cut, and dried, that CmC must improve his running for us to be dangerous.

Am I correct in my understanding that some of you think if CMC had 20 more lbs of upper body mass he would be putting up monster running numbers?  No one seemed to be saying that in preseason when he actually had some space to run now and again.  The more obvious factor, for me at least, is that our run blocking blows and he has had zero space to run on the very few carries hes had.  If you look at Zeke in his rookie year, he was often running through holes you could drive a city bus through.  Until run blocking improves, his rushing yard will remain pedestrian.  That being said, I have little doubt that it will improve throughout season.

2 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

It's ridiculous we're not running no huddle all the damn time.

First, let me say. Under normal circumstances, you like to get that first first down before you jump into that no huddle. Because, if you go three and out with the no huddle, you take very little time off the clock. Which means your Defense can spend too much time on the field.

Second, even when we do go no huddle, we don't do it with any real pace. We still take our time. We do it when we have a favorable matchup, which limits the substituting for the Defense.

Third, we did run it some against the Lions. So maybe, it will be making a comeback. Cuz I like how we can dictate the pace, and flow, of the game when we use it.

In conclusion, I too miss it. 

37 minutes ago, SuperCamDaGawd said:

I been said since he was drafted that CMC is a slot receiver like Edelman. Use him the same way

I understand that folks can feel that way at the moment. What, with his rushing yards being what they are. But really, if you move him to the slot full time, you limit his, and your Offenses, versatility. 

Lining him up in the back field gives the Defense a look. Motioning him out, is another look. Lining him up in the slot, is yet another look. So... he is much more important starting as a RB.

Now, when Samuel gets his shot in the slot. He could very well be, what folks want CmC to be.

50 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

People have been saying that for multiple games, but when will it actually occur? 

Detroit sold out to stop the run, it back fired. The Pats pretty much sold out to stop the run, and it back fired. The aints sold out to stop the run, and it worked. The Bills played us pretty much straight up, and we played rather well. And the 9ers pretty much played us straight up, and we played rather well.

Point being, Now that Cam is back healthy, and happy, teams are going to have to go back to playing us straight up. They have to respect the pass, so they are going to have to give up something in the run game. 

On one of Dickson's catches last week, the Lions had 10 men, yes, 10 men on the LOS. We probably won't be seeing that again. I tell ya what.

17 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Second, even when we do go no huddle, we don't do it with any real pace. We still take our time. We do it when we have a favorable matchup, which limits the substituting for the Defense.

I know this. This is the exact reason to run no huddle early in the game, especially with the mismatches players like CMC provide.

3 hours ago, thebigcat said:

I mentioned ad nauseum that he'd be closer to a Danny Woodhead then a Shady or Barry Sanders as others placed him. Not that Danny is a bad player but he'll never be a pure runner, just not big or strong enough

McCaffery is on pace to equal or best Woodhead's best year as a rookie....which took Woodhead 7 years to work up to. 

6 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

I know this. This is the exact reason to run no huddle early in the game, especially with the mismatches players like CMC provide.

Well, to be fair. You didn't mention that in your post. You actually said it was ridiculous that we are not running it all the time. Which is basically what lost Kelley his NFL coaching gig. He ran it all the time. 

Like I said. I love it too. But you have to use it properly. 

28 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

First, let me say. Under normal circumstances, you like to get that first first down before you jump into that no huddle. Because, if you go three and out with the no huddle, you take very little time off the clock. Which means your Defense can spend too much time on the field.

Third, we did run it some against the Lions. So maybe, it will be making a comeback. Cuz I like how we can dictate the pace, and flow, of the game when we use it.

In conclusion, I too miss it. 

I understand that folks can feel that way at the moment. What, with his rushing yards being what they are. But really, if you move him to the slot full time, you limit his, and your Offenses, versatility. 

Lining him up in the back field gives the Defense a look. Motioning him out, is another look. Lining him up in the slot, is yet another look. So... he is much more important starting as a RB.

Now, when Samuel gets his shot in the slot. He could very well be, what folks want CmC to be.

You could make him a slot receiver and still use him the same way,  but he could get more valuable touches out wide. He's still a match-up problem

Just now, iamhubby1 said:

Well, to be fair. You didn't mention that in your post. You actually said it was ridiculous that we are not running it all the time. Which is basically what lost Kelley his NFL coaching gig. He ran it all the time. 

Like I said. I love it too. But you have to use it properly. 

running no huddle doesn't mean snapping the ball with 25 seconds on the playclock, but yeah most people probably think it does

1 minute ago, Cary Kollins said:

running no huddle doesn't mean snapping the ball with 25 seconds on the playclock, but yeah most people probably think it does

Now, I agree with this. Folks hear no huddle, and the think hurry up. They are two different things. Going no huddle stops the Defense from substituting. When you find a match up you like, make them play it. Don't let them off the hook. 

3 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

It's ridiculous we're not running no huddle all the damn time.

Ron doesn't want the defense to be tired at the end of the game from us scoring so fast. 

So instead he goes conservative, we go three and out,  and put the defense back out there and tire them out. 

Wat

3 minutes ago, SuperCamDaGawd said:

You could make him a slot receiver and still use him the same way,  but he could get more valuable touches out wide. He's still a match-up problem

I am afraid you are not connecting the dots. As a RB, he will be covered by a LB. As a slot he will probably get a DB. And as a WR, he would get a CB. 

If you want him with the best match up, and I would assume you would. He needs to be in the back field. 

If you are worried about his ypc, then I can see why you want to move him. I just think, that with Cam being back healthy and happy. Teams are going to have to respect the pass. That in itself, should start to open the running game.

But, let's not take our best match up nightmare out of the game, by moving him to the slot. 

Archived