• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video - Baldy Breaks down Christian McCaffrey

Jeremy Igo

People may hate me for saying this but it's almost unfair to me. We get one player like McCaffrey (who we had to draft 8th overall) and it's like our complete offensive identity has changed and a superior element has been added. 

However, when I watched that play all I thought about is that is a play completely plagiarized from the Patriots. Yet they've been churning no names into All-Pros for years now based on these formations and plays and have 5 SB's to boot. Just crazy to me what they are able to do.

What I find so interesting is that a rookie is being keyed upon by our opponents.  Sure, his production has been limited due to this keying on him, but it's really opened up a lot of other guys.  CMC will get his stats, but he already is paying some real dividends.

2 hours ago, Adb6368 said:

However, when I watched that play all I thought about is that is a play completely plagiarized from the Patriots. Yet they've been churning no names into All-Pros for years now based on these formations and plays and have 5 SB's to boot. Just crazy to me what they are able to do.

They didn't plagiarize it. Notice what Baldinger called it? A Texas route?

That's called that because they it ran in dallas 25 years ago. 

The offense the patriots run really isn't even original. They mostly took it from Malzahn, then Chip Kelly. They just have a QB that runs it perfectly.

The one thing the patriots have perfected are finding WR that can quickly cut back in. If you watch the Patriots, they will a.) create one on one matchups and 2.) find receivers that can make someone miss.

9/10 they make these people miss by cutting back in immediately after the catch. So you'll see edelman running an out, the ball is placd perfectly, the defender is running to where he's going to go, and julian changes direction and the defender runs right past him.

lost risk throw, not a huge gain, but one move and all of a sudden a 3 yard out is a 15 yard gain. 

to pull this off you need a REALLY accurate qb. someone who can not just hit the receiver, but hit them in a way they can then change direction from. 

texas routes are a good start. They're a free five yards or whatever. I don't htink they should just keep sending CMC into LB kill shots but whatever.

Cam and the Panthers are a long way off from what the Patriots do.

5 hours ago, Adb6368 said:

People may hate me for saying this but it's almost unfair to me. We get one player like McCaffrey (who we had to draft 8th overall) and it's like our complete offensive identity has changed and a superior element has been added. 

Those no-names, possess exactly what is needed to make that offense tick...and I think, in time, CMC will help make ours tick...although he is helping a ton already.

I'm not loving the hesitation I'm seeing from him in the run game, and his vision seems a half second behind, but we have piled a ton of information on him, and he is playing a ton of snaps for a rook on this team...I think it all comes together later in the season for him.

All you need to know is NFL defenses are keying him, that let's you know the pick at #8 was worth it. Because of that we see less bracket coverage downfield, and the receivers, and Cam are making teams pay. Soon enough teams will have to respect the passing game (after 600+ yards in the air the last two games) -- when that happens the running game for both Stewart & CMC will open up, and that is when you'll see the dominance we exhibited in 2015. 

Olsen will be back, Samuel is still rounding onto form, and KB, and Funchess are playing to their potential and Cam is not only practicing regularly, he's showing that confidence in his arm again. This could be a very special second half of the season once that time arrives. 

I'm just upset he's getting such low carry totals (6 vs pats, 3 vs lions) hard to get much rushing stats with that kinda workload . Even if the run game opens up I dont know if the staff will even use him much .. he only got a respectable carry total in game 1 against the 49ers . 

4 hours ago, electro's horse said:

They didn't plagiarize it. Notice what Baldinger called it? A Texas route?

That's called that because they it ran in dallas 25 years ago. 

The offense the patriots run really isn't even original. They mostly took it from Malzahn, then Chip Kelly. They just have a QB that runs it perfectly.

The one thing the patriots have perfected are finding WR that can quickly cut back in. If you watch the Patriots, they will a.) create one on one matchups and 2.) find receivers that can make someone miss.

9/10 they make these people miss by cutting back in immediately after the catch. So you'll see edelman running an out, the ball is placd perfectly, the defender is running to where he's going to go, and julian changes direction and the defender runs right past him.

lost risk throw, not a huge gain, but one move and all of a sudden a 3 yard out is a 15 yard gain. 

to pull this off you need a REALLY accurate qb. someone who can not just hit the receiver, but hit them in a way they can then change direction from. 

texas routes are a good start. They're a free five yards or whatever. I don't htink they should just keep sending CMC into LB kill shots but whatever.

Cam and the Panthers are a long way off from what the Patriots do.

Good summary, one thing to add to this is that most (if not all) of Bellicheks most used receivers and catching RBs are ex-punt and Kick returners. He's made now secret if saying he loves picking up receivers who are ex returners because sure hands, quick feet and running to gaps comes naturally.

27 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

he effects the offense in so many ways. his personal numbers will come once the game slows down a bit and he gets more comfortable. 

none of that matters on 6, 3 carries a game. His workload is too small to get numbers unless he hits homeruns

Archived