• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frustrating play call

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Paa Langfart said:

Possible,  but Cam was staring at that side of the end zone from the snap, which did not help.

true, but Cam does that often.  He was going to throw that corner to the KB matchup.  That was the play from the jump.

Funchess' route just didnt' fit at all.  Him flipping it makes the playcall make perfect sense IMO. 

That is the tricky thing about arm chair QBing.  We never know unless the coaches confirm what the play called for. 

2 hours ago, mjligon said:

@Davidson Deac II @tiger7_88

Unless either of you can provide proof that our coaching staff told Samuel to take a knee, then your fits of rage aren’t warranted. 

No rage, we won, I am happy.

Its baffling though.  I can't imagine any NFL player would do it unless told to.  In 35 years of watching the NFL, I don't remember seeing someone take a knee in the field of play on a kickoff.  If you are going to do that, just run out of bounds.  ON the very slight chance that Samuel did it on his own, then wtf was he thinking?  

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Didn't frustrate me anywhere near as much as the decision to go for a 55 yard field goal, or kneeling down on a kick return.  

I didnt understand either of those myself.  It would be one thing if a big lineman or someone caught the ball but with that much time left what possible explanation is there for taking a knee at the 14?  Also struggle to understand why you kick in that situation knowing you will give them the ball back at the 45 yard line.  Should have punted I think

2 hours ago, csx said:

It's liberating when you come to the conclusion that the keyboard critics of everything simply don't have the knowledge to discuss the routes.

It's "here's a play that didn't work, everyone be dramatic about it".

It gets more response than pointing out the myriad of great plays that worked. 

Are you trying to say it’s funny to hear the Huddle talk about routes? 

I think Fun Fun ran the wrong route tbh. On that type of play, the outside receiver usually hits a quick slant in to open up the slot receiver to be one on one against either a safety or CB.

If not, then that is a horrible play design, ESPECIALLY having that go to the short side of the field.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I know this frustrated you yesterday. 

giphy.gif

Two players drawing 3 defenders to the same spot of the end zone. Middle of the field absolutely empty. 

Awful. 

Cam hesitated too long, that ball should have been out the instant KB broke his route. Funchess took his defender to the pylon, and KB had the inside step on the safety. You can see Cam take a hitch step right before he threw it; he should have hit his back foot and let it go.

4 hours ago, mjligon said:

Came into this thread knowing what the playcall was.

I don’t understand the logic of having KB and Funch work so closely together in a tight window at the goal line...not much room to work with.

Having two players that close together on a short yardage play up against the end zone only makes sense to me under a couple of circumstances:

- One of the two is setting up a pick (i.e. a Sean Payton special)

- They're decoying defensive players away from the middle for a run or a throw there

Neither of those things are seen here.

Is if possible that one or the other ran the wrong route? Yeah, but it's not like it's the first time we've seen this, so I'd be skeptical of that.

Yep stupid play design in the red zone. If Funchess ran a slant it could have given Cam a couple of options. The play essentially forced a double team. 

This play was out of a timeout if I recall because Shula took too long to get the play in. I believe it was 13 seconds left when Cam got the play and took it to the huddle. 

Shula draws this shizz up after the timeout. 

The kneel on the kick return has been largely overblown on this board.

We were set up to recover an onsides kick. 

4 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

So that automatically means the kick returner has to take a knee with no defender within 15 yards of him?

@Davidson Deac II @tiger7_88

Unless either of you can provide proof that our coaching staff told Samuel to take a knee, then your fits of rage aren’t warranted. 

It's standard special teams play that when the squad is set up to block a kick or recover an onsides kick or expecting a fake kick, no one's first play is to run down the field to block for the returner who is back there all by himself. The only safe play for the returner then is to fair catch and that's what Samuel should have done. His rookie mistake is that he didn't fair catch when he was supposed to and, once he realized this, he went to a knee to simulate a fair catch. Because the best play at that point is the play that protects the ball the most.

He'll get chewed out for not calling for the fair catch but praised for realizing what he did and taking the knee.

Archived