• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Windows 7

Murph

7 is very nice. It's Vista jacked up with out all the little problems and bugs. Also loads a lot faster than vista. Drivers work much better and will also update on their own. Booted up the other day and had a new ATI driver for my video card. Loaded up without 1 problem, I was kinda shocked since updating a new video card driver can have some problems if they don't unload correctly.

Still don't understand all the hate for vista.

For one, Microsoft was issuing an automatic update for Vista that trashed a bunch of different models in the Dell Latitude and Inspiron series and usually required either a system restore + update rollback or a format. Bad news in my line of work where 90% or our userbase uses Dells with automatic updates enabled.

My main complaints about Vista are usually update/driver related. That, and Vista is a resource hog that a lot of manufacturers chucked onto machines that just had no business running it. Unless you want to go into msconfig and start hacking out services, you need at least 2 GB of RAM and a midrange dual core processor to run it the way it was intended to be run. Problem is, companies like HP and Dell were throwing it on Celerons with 512 MB of RAM. Typically, that's going to run like poo.

I've been running Windows 7 for a while now and I'm really liking it, though.

For one, Microsoft was issuing an automatic update for Vista that trashed a bunch of different models in the Dell Latitude and Inspiron series and usually required either a system restore + update rollback or a format. Bad news in my line of work where 90% or our userbase uses Dells with automatic updates enabled.

Yeah, the update wrecked my Dell XPS 420. Had to system restore. Fortunately my computer was only a few weeks old at the time, so I didn't lose much. I turned of automatic updates, and it's been smooth sailing since then.

But as far as Windows 7; are those not the worst commercials you have ever seen? Yeah, when I'm in the market for a $2,000 computer, I'm looking for the endorsement of a 3 year old screaming Asian girl and a the worlds worst animal-themed slideshow presentation ever. God, that sh** makes me want to gouge my eyeballs out witha rusty spoon. WTF, Microsoft? That's your answer to the very successful "I'm a Mac" ads?

Forgot to mention, when you are going through the process be on the lookout for a small spot of text that reads something like "Need to connect to a college network?" or something along those lines. Click that and you can get Windows 7 Pro instead of Home Premium for the same price.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure that this deal runs until Jan. 1st, 2010. Could be wrong though.

Archived