• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCaffrey - Making things easy for every one else.

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

Hopefully we'll get Curtis Samuel back on the field too adding another weapon.

Have to say I'm very encouraged by what I saw from KB, Funch & Dickson.  All 3 of them stepped up their game.  And it is always fun to see Fozzy make a great play.  He doesn't make a lot, but he's broken a few great ones.

Hey, I don't think any one's mentioned it.  Isn't it AWESOME that Fozzys great catch & run did NOT get called back due to holding / illegal block?!?!  Seems like there were a few of those last year... Didn't Fozzy have a 50+ yard TD called back against the Vikings last year?  

I love how few penalties the Panthers have gotten through 4 games.  Big improvement from last year (13 so far vs. 32 through week 4 of 2016).  It's made a difference, especially when points have been hard to come by for the 1st 3 games...

My take on this really goes back to 2015.  Back then, when KB went down, Cam had a great season and people attributed it to him having to spread the ball around. There's a lot of truth to that, but there is also the truth that when called upon, a lot of folks stepped up their game to make up the difference in the receiving corps.

I think that is what we are seeing right now as well, with Olsen (the real #1 receiving target for the team). Cam came back with a vengeance Sunday, but every one of the receivers really seemed to be putting it out there as well. I mean, even Byrd had a Steve Smith-esque moment of toughness with a big gainer where in the end he held onto the ball even with a broken forearm. That, and many other actions through that game, isn't one of players who are unmotivated and not stepping up.

Maybe that New Orleans butt whoopin' we took was just what we needed. Or maybe the meeting the team had with JR left everyone feeling uplifted and roaring for their teammates. Or maybe these guys are all better than anyone gives them credit for.

Honestly from here on out I see two possibilities

either you comit several guys to shut down CMC, leaving open options for other playmakers..

or you give those playmakers proper attention, leaving CMC with actual opportunities to make a play

pick your poision

its not a matter of "next time it wont work". Its a matter of "if this, then that" 

17 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

Honestly from here on out I see two possibilities

either you comit several guys to shut down CMC, leaving open options for other playmakers..

or you give those playmakers proper attention, leaving CMC with actual opportunities to make a play

pick your poision

its not a matter of "next time it wont work". Its a matter of "if this, then that" 

49ers had 3 defenders bracket/spy CMC in the whole game.

Buffalo had 2 to 3 defenders bracket/spy CMC in the whole game.

Saints had 1 to 2 defenders spy/bracket the whole game. 100yd receiving game

Pats be like 2 to 4 defenders spy/bracket the whole game. Fun Fun and Fozzy 3 Tds between them. KB 100yd receiving.

Some huddlers, you just cannot fix stupid.

Since Olsen has been out, McCaffrey has become Cam's security blanket.  He catches just about everything thrown his way, always picks up some kind of positive yards and seems to find a way to get open.  He just doesn't run the seam routes that Greg ran.  It's the same reason Ted Ginn did so well here, everyone focused on Olsen and Benjamin.  Now that Greg is gone everyone is focusing on McCaffery and Benjamin. 

I think we're also getting into the part of the season where teams stop accounting for someone like Short, who hasn't been much of a stat factor through four games, and they spend the bulk of their time trying to game plan to stop the edge rush from Peppers or Addison. We could have more success up the middle this week. 

39 minutes ago, ecu88 said:

49ers had 3 defenders bracket/spy CMC in the whole game.

Buffalo had 2 to 3 defenders bracket/spy CMC in the whole game.

Saints had 1 to 2 defenders spy/bracket the whole game. 100yd receiving game

Pats be like 2 to 4 defenders spy/bracket the whole game. Fun Fun and Fozzy 3 Tds between them. KB 100yd receiving.

Some huddlers, you just cannot fix stupid.

Show this to other NFL fans , they'll just keep shoving mccaffreys YPC  average and low rush yard down your throat and say your just making excuses for a horrible rb bust 

I try to tell them mccaffreys getting Less than 10 carries per game and that teams are game planning to stop him , and I also say that I predict around the mid season mark when teams finally get sick of Cam and every other offense player continually burning them they'll have to shift attention away from mcaffrey and his stats will be better . But naturally , he's not going to rack up 500-1000 rushing yards if he's only getting 4 carries and 6 carries a game and Stew keeps averaging 5 YPC McCaffrey might just become the primary slot 

32 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

Show this to other NFL fans , they'll just keep shoving mccaffreys YPC  average and low rush yard down your throat and say your just making excuses for a horrible rb bust 

Let em' talk sh*t b/c obviously they don't understand the actual value he's bringing to our team.

I'd much rather have a player that is helping my team get wins with modest stats thus far than a player who is a stud from a fantasy perspective whose play isn't translating into team wins.

this is sooooo good.

now for opposing defenses it's going to be a matter of, will CMC be a decoy this time or will he be the weapon?

that's what we used to have with cam and hopefully will continue to have with him if we decide to at least keep using the read option or have more designed runs. he has to be a dual threat to help keep defenses not just honest, but paranoid.

hopefully we can work samuel into a similar role as CMC in having to account for him as well. he's definitely got the skill set.

this offense has had some incredibly dangerous potential and it looks like we're starting to head into that being realized.

stewart is still a powerful runner that has to be reckoned with.

KB is continuing to be a boss and funchess is starting live up to the hype he creates in training camp.

i know it was "just the patriots", but we were just waiting for a moment to get our groove back and i think that moment just happened.

if shula can build on the success of this last week...yeah, we're in for some good things.

7 minutes ago, dpm0409 said:

Let em' talk sh*t b/c obviously they don't understand the actual value he's bringing to our team.

I'd much rather have a player that is helping my team get wins with modest stats thus far than a player who is a stud from a fantasy perspective whose play isn't translating into team wins.

THIS.  All day!

15 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i know it was just the patriots, but

It is SO surreal to be reading this!!

"just the Patriots"   WOW!

It's pretty shocking how bad their defense is at the moment.  Surely didn't expect it.  So yeah, to some extent it does devalue our win and means we can't yet have full confidence in our offensive rebound...

But... Brady, Gronk, Amendola and Cooks were all playing.  Belichick was still coaching.  Not too shabby.  And Brady did mount a 14 point comeback in the 4th to tie the game.  Required Cam & co to lead a game-winning drive late in the 4th managing the need to control the clock with the need to get in FG range...

I don't think we'd had a 4th Qtr game winning drive since 2015.

So, let's not be ashamed about this win!  It was well earned, and I hope that, as Ron has expressed, it will become a real catalyst for future success & confidence this season.

A W in Foxboro against Brady & Belichick is ALWAYS a special thing.

1 hour ago, Pantha-kun said:

Most of them probably drafted him in their Fantasy leagues. That's where a lot of the disappointment is coming from.

Archived