• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Danny Trevathan needs to be suspended for dirty hit on Davante Adams: EDIT, Suspended 2 Games

Kevin Greene

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Was a perfect opportunity for the NFL to try out their new rule in ejecting players immediately for those hits and giving fans a little more faith in the future of this game.

Of course, they failed. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Poo happens...he'll get fined and rightfully so. Trevathan isn't a dirty player. Seeing things in slow motion over and over again riles up the masses...in real time he was making a football play and happened to lower his helmet at worst possible time. 

You're both right. He doesn't have a history of "dirty" play, and likely wasn't trying to injure anyone, BUT, a rule is only any good if it's enforced.

Wow. I just don't get it anymore. EVERYONE here is calling this a dirty play. What?!

Was this a "defenseless" receiver? No. the catch was already made and he started running up field. He was now a runner. We always hear with Cam, once he tucks it and runs he no longer get protection as he is now deemed a runner.

Was the runner down? No. He was still actively moving forward, fighting to get yards.

Had the whistle blown? No. the refs did not rule no forward progress. Play was still live.

Travathan was trying to make a play and get the runner down. had the defense let up and Adams broke free to score, people would be criticizing the defense for not plying until the whistle.

It is very unfortunate that Adams got hurt, but to jump on Travathan for a "dirty" hit is ridiculous. the only reason that flag was thrown was the injury. Had Adams popped right back up, no flag would have been thrown.

1 hour ago, ChuckWag78 said:

Wow. I just don't get it anymore. EVERYONE here is calling this a dirty play. What?!

Was this a "defenseless" receiver? No. the catch was already made and he started running up field. He was now a runner. We always hear with Cam, once he tucks it and runs he no longer get protection as he is now deemed a runner.

Was the runner down? No. He was still actively moving forward, fighting to get yards.

Had the whistle blown? No. the refs did not rule no forward progress. Play was still live.

Travathan was trying to make a play and get the runner down. had the defense let up and Adams broke free to score, people would be criticizing the defense for not plying until the whistle.

It is very unfortunate that Adams got hurt, but to jump on Travathan for a "dirty" hit is ridiculous. the only reason that flag was thrown was the injury. Had Adams popped right back up, no flag would have been thrown.

I honestly thought the same thing and was confused over the outrage of it being a "dirty" play. To me, a dirty play is when you're twisting someone's ankle after they're down or intentionally head-hunting. This didn't seem intentional. Was it poor tackling? Absolutely. Travathan could have easily been hurt on the play as well. Like you said, the play was still live and it's not like Travathan came running in 5 seconds after they wrapped Adams up. I have to go back and watch the clip again, but I'm pretty sure as soon as Travathan got up, he started waving towards the sidelines for medical.

Yes, if the NFL wants people to believe them when they say they're looking out for their player's health, he probably should have been ejected and should get a suspension, but the outrage of it being a dirty hit is overblown.

24 minutes ago, Arroz con Panther said:

I honestly thought the same thing and was confused over the outrage of it being a "dirty" play. To me, a dirty play is when you're twisting someone's ankle after they're down or intentionally head-hunting. This didn't seem intentional. Was it poor tackling? Absolutely. Travathan could have easily been hurt on the play as well. Like you said, the play was still live and it's not like Travathan came running in 5 seconds after they wrapped Adams up. I have to go back and watch the clip again, but I'm pretty sure as soon as Travathan got up, he started waving towards the sidelines for medical.

Yes, if the NFL wants people to believe them when they say they're looking out for their player's health, he probably should have been ejected and should get a suspension, but the outrage of it being a dirty hit is overblown.

When you re watch the clip, keep an eye on the ref that actually throws the flag. He walks from behind the offense, all the way until he is right next to Adams, and sees him lying motionless before he throws the flag.  This flag was only thrown because of the result, not the action of the hit.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

imo, they haven't eliminated the human element enough. the refs are horrible. they are no better than the scabs that came in to take their place when they went on strike a couple years ago. they aren't consistent and with rare exception, they call games with bias.

i remember when people used to almost consider them a sacred part of the game. that might have been true at one point, but now they need to be challenged more and held accountable for the obvious bad jobs they do.

there's no excuse for allowing this kind of thing to continue without repercussion on the one carrying out the dirty hit. he may not have intended to paralyze him, but he absolutely lowered his helmet to hit a defenseless player who was already going down. until refs start penalizing and tossing out players for poo like this, it will continue. i just don't count on them doing it unless it's a hit on someone like brady or one of the other beloved players of the sport.

This should really be reviewable from New York. There will be an injury timeout anyway so it will not prolong  the game. That at least takes the individual refs out of the equation. 

3 hours ago, ChuckWag78 said:

It's a penalty to lead with the crown of the helmet even on an established runner. That's why it was a penalty and dirty.

2 hours ago, Bartin said:

It's a penalty to lead with the crown of the helmet even on an established runner. That's why it was a penalty and dirty.

Rewatch the clip. He does not lead with the crown.  Danny's facemask makes contact with Adam's ear hole.

The best visual is towards the end of the clip that shows Danny moving from right to left. You can clearly see his facemask is up and the Bears "C" logo on the helmet is level, not pointed down.

EDIT: because spelling is hard!

4 minutes ago, ChuckWag78 said:

Rewatch the clip. He does not lead with the crown.  Danny's facemask makes contact with Adam's ear hole.

The best visual is towards the end of the clip that shows Danny moving from right to left. You can clearly see his facemask is up and the Bears "C" logo on the helmet is level, not pointed down.

EDIT: because spelling is hard!

UeTBs2P.png

This is at the moment of contact. You can see the green sticker which designates him as the guy with the helmet radio is sticking straight up in the air and it is located on furthest back point of the helmet meaning his face is parallel to the ground. You can also make out the Bears "C" logo on the right side of his helmet and that is also pointing straight up. This is the actual definition of the leading with the crown of the helmet.

Archived