• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Danny Trevathan needs to be suspended for dirty hit on Davante Adams: EDIT, Suspended 2 Games

Kevin Greene

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

.... and more parents won't let their kids play football as we witness this game die a slow painful death. 

Sorry, examples need to be made if you want this game to exist another 20 years. 

Without regurgitating my reply to another poster...violent game, violence expected, violence will happen. It's unfortunate...especially when you see a hit like this happen.  Of the 10,000s of hits that occur every year in the NFL a couple of these are just going to happen just like it did here. I doubt there was any intent on Trevathans part for it to happen like it did. With that said consequences should apply since there is a rule about lowering and leading with the helmet, etc.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Without regurgitating my reply to another poster...violent game, violence expected, violence will happen. It's unfortunate...especially when you see a hit like this happen.  Of the 10,000s of hits that occur every year in the NFL a couple of these are just going to happen just like it did here. I doubt there was any intent on Trevathans part for it to happen like it did. With that said consequences should apply since there is a rule about lowering and leading with the helmet, etc.

but, the NFL said they would crack down intent or not.  A fine is fine, but it needs to happen in the game. I guess New York isn't always watching...

16 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

.... and more parents won't let their kids play football as we witness this game die a slow painful death. 

Sorry, examples need to be made if you want this game to exist another 20 years. 

League needs to implement the targeting rule like college.  Ejections and suspensions 

You still see it in college football as it's hard to completely eliminate them.  But you see less and less.  And the ones that happen are way less vicious.

I hate to say this but...

NFL needs to adopt the targeting rule in college football.  And yeah, that rule has ticked me off because it does lead to players getting kicked somtimes that have no real control over how a play occurs....but it makes the most sense IMO

39 minutes ago, countryboi said:

you dont have to be a dirty player to make dirty plays. Optics matter, people see the way you treat your players and its bad for the game.

Reckless? Definitely. Dirty? No. Should he be suspended? Yeah, I think so.

From an SI article this morning...

Trevathan said all the right things afterwards. He expressed regret about the point of contact, admitting, "I could've been a little bit better." The sixth-year vet also said he would reach out to Adams, who was immobilized and taken off the field on a stretcher. When asked about the possibility of a suspension, Trevathan responded, "I don't think I should be suspended . . . but my main concern is that he's OK." 

Just my initial thoughts...this doesn't sound like all he said all the right things. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/29/chicago-bears-green-bay-packers-danny-trevathan-hit-davante-adams-thursday-night-football-themmqb

40 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Reckless? Definitely. Dirty? No. Should he be suspended? Yeah, I think so.

I agree. I didn't think he did it intentionally (which is how I personally define dirty). But it was an illegal hit, crown of helmet and all that. Should he have been ejected? I would've been fine with that. But too often we judge the severity of the act by the result. Had the receiver been totally fine and popped backup and jawed at him, people wouldn't be in an outrage but the hit would've been the exact same. While that logic doesn't apply in all situations (vehicular manslaughter, etc), I think it applies here.

Fine and 1 game suspension is probably likely, I think.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Probably a good idea since they have almost but eliminated the human element from that sport as it relates to officiating. 

imo, they haven't eliminated the human element enough. the refs are horrible. they are no better than the scabs that came in to take their place when they went on strike a couple years ago. they aren't consistent and with rare exception, they call games with bias.

i remember when people used to almost consider them a sacred part of the game. that might have been true at one point, but now they need to be challenged more and held accountable for the obvious bad jobs they do.

there's no excuse for allowing this kind of thing to continue without repercussion on the one carrying out the dirty hit. he may not have intended to paralyze him, but he absolutely lowered his helmet to hit a defenseless player who was already going down. until refs start penalizing and tossing out players for poo like this, it will continue. i just don't count on them doing it unless it's a hit on someone like brady or one of the other beloved players of the sport.

Archived