• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One Last Play Discussion - Cam Newton Sack

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

There was space in the middle and left. I just don't get his recent tendency to go back knowing that is the most likely place for the DEs to be based on our tackles. Just seems like the past year he's been moving back way more and always going into a defender.

If they really are telling him not to run then our coaches are as responsible for the sacks and hits as the OL. He has to move as if he's running to be going forward even if he slides more or just throws it away more. It's not good for the team or Cam. I hate our coach/OC at this point. They've proven this year they are complete morons. Luckily for them the defense played so well in weeks 1 and 2 that they aren't on the street if we had the balls to get rid of them. 

He was giving Trai leverage against the DT. If he moved left, Dt would have had a clear line to him. Blame Norwell for disengaging Kalil's block for no reason. 

28 minutes ago, NeedSumD said:

Oh man I was hoping it was gonna be the red zone sack where Cam slid the protection to the right. And the blitz came from left.  Or the one where the corner walked up to the RT and Cam looked right at him and didn't adjust the line and then blitzed off the corner and Cam spins into a sack.   Defenses know Cam want throw underneath so they leave them open and drop to cover the deep routes because they know Cam will force throws deep instead of taking the easy completion.  Watch everyone go deep the only LB stays in the middle of the field to spy Cam not to cover the underneath routes. Because why cover it when Cam want throw it anyways.   That's clear in every game the broadcasters point it out all the time open receivers Cam don't even look at, Barber pointed it out twice Sunday. Cam would rather make the highlight throw instead of the 6 yard completion for a 1st down.  I will get bashed for the truth that is fine with me. 

Um everyone went deep cause look at the routes the receivers ran and they were playing zone, not man.This was essentially a 3rd preseason game for Cam. He's limited in practice too. This is what OTA's, TC, preseason is for, which Cam either missed or was limited. It's not about seeing the open receivers, its about knowing your receivers will be on certain plays and hitting them. Cam will get better at this. Cam is already adapting to dumping it off to his RB's, which yall fail to notice or bring up, receivers will be next. His arm is still sore and really what we should be doing is running the ball, play action, and more rollouts, limiting his arm to 18-20 attempts a game. He's instead getting his reps in during the games with a sore arm.

4 hours ago, TheRed said:

If we aren't going to let him run, and if the OL keeps struggling on top of his struggles with his throwing shoulder, I'm gonna have to change my stance and say just sit him.

If we can't let Cam be Cam, then there's no point.

Agreed. Cam's game is not built on being Tom Brady or Drew Brees in the pocket. He's effective because they always have to account for his legs. He stopped running as much last year and teams were able to ignore the threat altogether. It took away his most valuable asset and what makes him a special QB.

5 hours ago, Harbingers said:

He's not as spry as he use to be and exactly how many times has he rolled out of it going backwards this season. Once. 

Also note the saints and bills knew that and always had a deep defender ready for him. 

He needs to stop going backwards. Other teams know all of his tendancies. 

You're not wrong for the most part, but a number of this year's sacks that have happened this way were because both tackles got blew up.  He'd try to do his roll out away from the pressure only to get smacked immediately by the other end right in his face. If even one of the tackles does their job, we get cam magic. In the play this post is about, that's not the case, he just escaped back into a guy that Kalil actually blocked well. 

It's a combination of everything. Starting with we never really addressed the offensive left and right tackle positions. Then when you have Mike Shula running the offense and Ken Dorsey as the QB's coach, we are f u c k ed. Cam needs to be blame also... And Ron Rivera allowed all of this to happen. So maybe if everybody can get their fingers out their asses we might have a chance to win this sunday.

1 hour ago, UpstatePanther said:

this pisses me off more than anything ive ever heard out of this team. what in fuuck is the point of having a dual threat QB if you arent going to let him be a dual threat QB. why stunt his career like that?!

Allowing him to run so much is actually what is shorting his career.  The idiotic scheme Shula uses will finish him off.  The poor guy will not see the end of his contract here.

Archived