• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Play Discussion: 3rd and 6 ...

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Cuttinedge said:

Looked like NO defense was in our huddle and knew the play call. 

Shepard whiffing on the block didn't help but even if he makes the block that's a 2-3 yard gain 

Shepard's guy is running straight at Samuel the second the ball is snapped. He knew what was coming.

But hey, we're not predictable or anything...

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Shepard's guy is running straight at Samuel the second the ball is snapped. He knew what was coming.

shepard didn't have a chance to whif his block. his guy avoided him completely the only thing that happened quickly on that play was the reaction by the D who knew what we were doing.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I was thinking the same thing about CMC. Why leave him in to block when Cam is going to throw it immediately? Motion him out right and maybe the D plays it differently and heck, what about not throwing it to Samuel and dumping it to CMC to the right where the D isn't keyed. The problem is the D knows where it is going and we have no other option for the D to even worry about.

It's up to Cam he know where  blitz was coming from. If he motions out CMC to the right he has quick dump off for big gain.

Better option would have been is to keep TE inline on either side of the OTs.  If the blitz is coming from their side they stay in to pass protect otherwise you releases and either sit in soft zone or run a route to vacant spot the blitz was coming from.

Usually Greg Olsen would have been in this play either to block or go out for reception we miss him sorely need to utiliz the TE.

@KB_fan

@Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

But but he's a play design guru!  It's execution man!

Every time I hear someone try to defend this moron I want to kick them in the nuts.   His route combinations are idiotic as they routinely put two players in the same area.   Trying a quick out from the shotgun?  Yeah that has big play written all over it...dumbass.

Saying its poor execution is not necessarily defending him.  IMO, the offensive coordinator is responsible for execution almost as much as he is for play design and calling.  And I don't think that anyone has ever said he is a guru.  I do however believe that the offense being as bad as it is right now is not just Shula's fault.  Its a collective effort between players, coaches, and front office/gm.  The play calling and execution is bad, the quarterbacking is bad, the receivers might be bad, hard to tell at this point.  Although with Olsen and KB out, we have almost no receivers that have experience with the offense and the qb.  The running backs look ok, when they get blocking. 

I do agree that the play call was poor.  I am old school a bit in that I believe that when you have to go 6 yards, you should throw the ball at least 6 yards 90 plus percent of the time.  But then, in the entire 1st half, I think the ball only traveled more than 5 yards on two occasions, a overthrow and an interception.  Not sure if that was the qb's choice, or the play call or some combination thereof.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, it is not just that we are predictable either.  Most people here just focus on what play we ran.  But it is much more complex than that.  This is not a play to run against man coverage.  It is not just that he knows it coming, but that Samuel is his sole responsibility.  So Corners are taught in man, as soon as they see the quick step on a bubble that they can break on the WR.  Cause again, that is his sole purpose.  

Also, I am assuming that Cam assumed that they were going to be in their base C3.  and that the Corner would have to bail on the snap giving Shepard the ability to make the block.  Pre snap it does look like it is going to be C3 fire zone, but it quickly changes.  

Also, a shitty angle for Shepard.  He had no clue it was man coverage, otherwise his angle would have been much sharper, knowing the corner would break quickly.  

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

shepard didn't have a chance to whif his block. his guy avoided him completely the only thing that happened quickly on that play was the reaction by the D who knew what we were doing.

Pretty much.

2 minutes ago, PantherBrew said:

Well, it is not just that we are predictable either.  Most people here just focus on what play we ran.  But it is much more complex than that.  This is not a play to run against man coverage.  It is not just that he knows it coming, but that Samuel is his sole responsibility.  So Corners are taught in man, as soon as they see the quick step on a bubble that they can break on the WR.  Cause again, that is his sole purpose.  

Also, I am assuming that Cam assumed that they were going to be in their base C3.  and that the Corner would have to bail on the snap giving Shepard the ability to make the block.  Pre snap it does look like it is going to be C3 fire zone, but it quickly changes.  

Knowing we can't get the ball down the field makes it even easier.

36 minutes ago, PantherBrew said:

Also, a shitty angle for Shepard.  He had no clue it was man coverage, otherwise his angle would have been much sharper, knowing the corner would break quickly.  

Right on.

The blocking assignments along with the coverage assignment damn this play before the snap.  Look at how the MLB is pulled into the heart of the play..  Its not that he "knows" where its going as much as its his job to take the inner most receiver who breaks out to block and so he is standing in the gap when the ball is thrown.

A simple pre-snap motion would have exposed their assignments and could have created the mismatch that would have at least given this a chance.

Archived