• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Play Discussion: 3rd and 6 ...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

This is what I was thinking. 

Look at the blockers. They are both set up for Samuel to be a couple of steps into his run, blocking the inside of the corners. Unfortunately, since the pass takes almost 3 seconds to get there, the corner can just take the outside angle and get to Samuel. 

Still, it also looks like AJ Klein would have shut it down short unless Samuel could make him miss.

In short, the timing on this play is god awful. Scrap it. 

forgot about klein.

definitely mix in play action to hold him long enough for the lineman to get to him.

stewart should be the hb in this scenario.

But but he's a play design guru!  It's execution man!

Every time I hear someone try to defend this moron I want to kick them in the nuts.   His route combinations are idiotic as they routinely put two players in the same area.   Trying a quick out from the shotgun?  Yeah that has big play written all over it...dumbass.

The Hall of Famer Steve Smith, turned this poo play into a productive one many times in his career, thereby cementing its place in our playbook for all of times, regardless of who else is actually attempting to catch the ball.  Any time you can run a completely predictable play that requires all of your WR's to make perfect blocks to succeed you've got to dial it up.  AmIright???

2 hours ago, Cuttinedge said:

Looked like NO defense was in our huddle and knew the play call. 

Shepard whiffing on the block didn't help but even if he makes the block that's a 2-3 yard gain 

(Shulaphile voice)

Cam should have audibled to the running ba.... oh... wait.

Ahem.

Poor execution!  The players betrayed Shula again!

(/Shulaphile voice)

No one falls for the smoke pass anymore.

The play began with us back in the Delhomme to Smith days and it always went to the side when Smith was the only receiver out there, one on one with a defender backed off. Never a called play, it was a quick pre-snap read and an audible (I don't even think there was a verbal cue, just a head nod or something). The one on one aspect meant there was one player to beat and it was off to the races.

It became a trendy play for teams for a while. Then it became the bubble screen or receiver screen. The idea was to get another receiver out there to act as a blocker. And then it was nuanced to go only to the short side of the field to speed up delivery of the ball. And finally it was moved to the pistol or shotgun formations to give just a bit of space to prevent a linebacker from breaking on the pass and intercepting.

Once all of that came in (and we do all of that now) it just became a complicated mess that works about one time in three. And we don't have anyone quick and tenacious to do it anymore on the wings, nor anyone who can effectively block out there. Couple that with Cam moving slower than ever before and you have to wonder why this is even in the playbook.

Like the wildcat, this play has seen its day in the sun and should be sent off into retirement. Oh, we ran the wildcat recently, too? Yeah. Maybe we do need to get back to basics.

2 minutes ago, ludwig51 said:

Terrible call by Shula but how come we can never run screens

Because to really sell a screen, the QB has to be back pedaling to get away from the rush. Cam doesn't back pedal to get away from rushers, he turns and runs to the side or does a spin move. If Cam is back pedaling it is only to throw a screen. It's a dead giveaway.

Less mobile QBs can sell the screen much better because they don't have that turn and run ability.

This is all sad from a pro football perspective 

all I see with the Panthers these days is controlled incompetence 

it would be great to think this was just a bad game but it isn't 

I see no way that the Panthers are even competitive in the next 3 games 

I don't see anyone bowing up. Sadly not even Cam. 

No fight left in the dog

Watch Kleins head in the first gif, he looks right at Samuel.  We have a tell that gave that play away because he knew it was coming.  There might be something to the fact that Klein probably lined up against Cam at practice more than any MLB we have or had on the roster.  Regardless, those plays only work if your receivers block and Shepard whiffed hard.

Archived