• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Excellent Read

Jeremy Igo

http://buffalonews.com/2017/09/15/jumping-hoops-chris-manhertzs-journey-canisius-college-basketball-carolina-tight-end/

Manhertz expressed humility about his status with Carolina. He's a grunt, now up to 255 pounds, who plays on the unglamorous kickoff, kick return and punt return units.

He's behind three-time Pro Bowl tight end Greg Olsen and Super Bowl champ Ed Dickson.

"A lot of guys would want to be where I'm at right now," Manhertz said. "For me to complain about that I'm not getting any catches? Really?

"It's just as good a feeling, having [Panthers running backs] Christian McCaffrey or Jonathan Stewart run the ball off my back."

Many basketball skills translate to football, but the chatter almost exclusively revolves around catches.

Not so much when it comes to blocking, and certainly not pass blocking.

"One of the most difficult things to ask is to pass block," Peters said, "when you're backpedaling with someone charging at you at full speed and who's probably bigger and stronger than you, trying to hit a target behind you that you can't see.

"But he does it. He's someone the team can count on in third-and-long against some of the best pass-rushers in the world."

Manhertz caught five passes for 42 yards in the preseason finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

He insisted he's not seduced by those Gonzalez, Graham, Gates stats.

"As a tight end in this league you're supposed to know how to catch, right? But not all have the ability to catch and block," Manhertz said. "This is the perfect offense for me to learn and grow, the way they use their offense here.

"These types of abilities will keep you around. You might not stay in the same place for five years, but there will always be a place for you in the NFL if you embrace that role here."

The entire article is a good read. Click it. 

you aren't kidding it's a good read.

great story, unless you're one of those people who worked their whole life for a shot and never got one and then there's this guy who puts on a helmet for the first time when he goes to practice for the saints and here he is one year later playing for another NFL team looking at getting significant time.

He participated in an NFL practice the same day he put on a helmet for the first time in his life. Beyond that, about the biggest inconvenience Manhertz needed to overcome was locking the keys inside his car in Cheektowaga when the New Orleans Saints wanted him to fly down and sign.

locking is keys in the car when he's on his way to the biggest moment of his life? yeah.... i've been there.

really down to earth guy.

i liked this part, too

In last week's victory over the San Francisco 49ers Manhertz played 12 offensive snaps, already equaling his four-game total last season after the Panthers claimed him off waivers from the Saints.

He was startled to learn that.

"You know what I call that? Progress!" Manhertz said.

i hope he lights it up and a star is born...just like i do for every player in a panthers uni who hasn't yet made their mark.

i'll settle for just being someone that cam can count on to block for him and catch the ball when it's thrown to him.

just do your job without screwing up too bad and you'll have done your part to help us get another win. for someone with that little experience, that's all i'm hoping for. we've got enough players on this team who should be the one carrying us to victory.

ok....everyone needs to be clicking that link. i want to quote significant parts of it, but i'd be quoting most of it.

What differentiates Manhertz is the counterintuitive transformation. He did not make the NFL because he could catch and teams simply hoped they could teach him to block.

Manhertz is in the NFL because he does the dirty work.

"Of the tight ends I've played with and worked with, he's g.ot to be one of the top blocking tight ends in the NFL," said Peters, an instructor and founder of the Safe Football development program in Cave Creek, Ariz.

"When I get my hands on Chris, I can tell he's as strong as 70 percent of the offensive guards I train, and those guys deal with the largest defenders in the game."

the dude also has his masters degree in sports administration. as someone who has also gotten his master's (MBA), i know the work involved and the impact it can have on the way you look at things, the way you process information. the growth he's had in the sport shouldn't be surprising when you consider he's a 6'6 255lb former basketball player who's main focus has been on blocking (which it seems he's a natural) who is also a quick study as a student of the game who is willing to do whatever dirty jobs are necessary (STs or whatever).

the dude has potential and, atm, there's no reason to not believe that he won't be able to reach that potential because he's shown so much growth in such a short amount of time.

all he needs is opportunity, which he has now.

1 hour ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I'm definitely pulling for Manhertz but I still think Dickson deserves the first shot at being the primary pass catching TE right now. Regardless of what anybody says, he's earned it.

i'm sure he's got that chance because he's getting bumped up into olsen's role and manhertz got bumped up into dickson's role. Now all it depends on is who cam feels more comfortable getting the ball to.

i think that manhertz' main role is going to be as a blocker, which it's entirely possible that he becomes a quick upgrade to what dickson offered in that role. plus we will have armah hopefully getting the call to help block.

i think with manhertz and armah on the field offering help in blocking situations, we should see cam given more time and the run game having more holes.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

i'm sure he's got that chance because he's getting bumped up into olsen's role and manhertz got bumped up into dickson's role. Now all it depends on is who cam feels more comfortable getting the ball to.

i think that manhertz' main role is going to be as a blocker, which it's entirely possible that he becomes a quick upgrade to what dickson offered in that role. plus we will have armah hopefully getting the call to help block.

i think with manhertz and armah on the field offering help in blocking situations, we should see cam given more time and the run game having more holes.

Offense needs to balance the blocking betwee all 3 so the defense has to keep guessing on passing plays.

Archived