• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

As far as Funchess goes...

Jeremy Igo

On 9/18/2017 at 12:49 PM, joemac said:

We only need either Funchess or KB, not both of them together. We need somebody....anybody who can get some yards after the catch. Every fuging completion we get, the guy catches the ball with someone draped on him, then immediately falls down. I thought that's what we got Samuel and CMC for. It just seems that Cam/Shula cannot or will not employ short, quick hitting routes into our offense. It should become a staple of our O with guys like those 2. Instead, what we keep getting are deep out/seam routes to Funchess and KB. WTF??

Samuel couldnt stay healthy enough during the offseason to carve out a role for himself. And I'm not totally convinced he can run NFL routes consistently against NFL DBs right now. He's a project. 

CMC should get more slot passes. He's a more athletic version of Wes Welker. 

2 hours ago, RetiredCollegeCoach said:

It's because the club's (current) QB cannot execute those shorter routes and consistently overthrows and overpowers them. The tale has long been told in practices and small sessions. But of course, everyone blames Shula, and we all sit around whining about "coaching" this and "scheme" that - which none of you understands as well as you think anyhow - while Cam wastes another year of Shula's prime.

Did anyone ever stop to think that a professional NFL coach who grew up in coaching worlds might be familiar with mixed passing concepts? And that he might be scheming around a player's limitations? And that he's maybe screaming inside to show the world some modern football, but his personnel won't allow it? Do you know what it's like when everybody blames you and you know you can't do anything, and you can't say what's really wrong?

Until certain suits within the organization put football ahead of marketing, the Panthers will always fail. What do you think the protracted Gettleman standoff was really about? J Jerry is being led around by the nose and is increasingly isolated in a world of his own making.

We've escaped by the skin of our teeth so far, but the fun and games are over. This is most likely a 2-14 or 3-13 or 4-12 type of season.

Bahahahaha

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Bartin said:

You aren’t actually using the “his college qb sucked” excuse for him are you? He also only played with Denard Robinson as his QB for the first half of his freshman year which was 5 years ago.

Pretty valid excuse when your college QB is a WR turned QB who nows plays in Japan and a sprinter who couldn't stay on a NFL roster despite playing RB, WR, and KR.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:05 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

Anyone else think for the first time yesterday he finally played to his size. To me he has always played too small for his frame, getting beaten physically by much smaller defenders. For the first time yesterday it looked like he had finally had enough and started using his size to an advantage.

There were a few flashes of this his rookie season (he had a really tough clutch catch in our week 6 win at Seattle, IIRC).  But then he seemed to totally disappear last season and I don't recall any big plays by him.  I liked what I saw on Sunday, and I've got to say the timing is good.  We will truly NEED Funch to step up with Greg out.  So keep it up Devin, keep it up!

2 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

Pretty valid excuse when your college QB is a WR turned QB who nows plays in Japan and a sprinter who couldn't stay on a NFL roster despite playing RB, WR, and KR.

Gardner was a QB. He was a top 5 QB recruit out of high school. He switched to WR for like half a season because he wanted to try and get on the field. After Robinson got hurt he switched back to QB. The large majority of NFL WRs didn't have NFL QBs in college throwing to them.

Julio's QB couldn't stay on the Jets. Beckham had *insert turd LSU QB here* throwing him the ball. Lord knows who AB's QB was at Western Michigan.

1 hour ago, Bartin said:

Gardner was a QB. He was a top 5 QB recruit out of high school. He switched to WR for like half a season because he wanted to try and get on the field. After Robinson got hurt he switched back to QB. The large majority of NFL WRs didn't have NFL QBs in college throwing to them.

Julio's QB couldn't stay on the Jets. Beckham had *insert turd LSU QB here* throwing him the ball. Lord knows who AB's QB was at Western Michigan.

QB-ATH is not the same as pure QB. Majority of these "QBs" are only QBs because of their athleticism, which at the HS level is so far beyond the competition that coaches want them with the ball all the time. That's why he was signed by NFL teams to be a WR/KR. 

And comparing the three best WRs in the NFL to Funchess is ridiculous. 

18 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

QB-ATH is not the same as pure QB. Majority of these "QBs" are only QBs because of their athleticism, which at the HS level is so far beyond the competition that coaches want them with the ball all the time. That's why he was signed by NFL teams to be a WR/KR. 

And comparing the three best WRs in the NFL to Funchess is ridiculous. 

The comparison was to show that a WRs college QB has no effect on their NFL success.

I will say that Funchess appears to be turning the corner but I just really don’t like the college QB excuse especially when he has been in the NFL for 3 years now.

Archived