• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shutting down the new Panthers "evolved" offense in two easy steps!

Jeremy Igo

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article173878506.html

I mostly agree with this quote.  

But actually, Mike Shula and head coach Ron Rivera had a great game plan against a Buffalo staff that knew them inside and out. They knew Buffalo would align its defense in a manner that left large gaps in the middle of the field, and called the game so that receivers could do damage there and were productive. Where the real error lay in this game was in the execution of the offensive line and the team’s red zone mistakes.

Don't have a problem with the playcalling for the most part.   But execution in the red zone was bad.  The coaching staff gets some blame for poor execution.

7 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article173878506.html

Don't have a problem with the playcalling for the most part.   But execution in the red zone was bad.  The coaching staff gets some blame for poor execution.

Sorry, the offensive line gave Cam at least 3 seconds on most of the sacks and pressures. You can't ask for more than that against the Bills. 

When fricking Ed Dickson is open 40 yards down field, that is a hint that the play took waaaaaay too long to develop. 

23 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

And there it is!

First page!

If people like you didn't get into their feelings over anything negative about Cam I wouldn't feel the need to clarify that. Stop dickriding. If you think Cam's overthrows are justified because he gets hit a lot then I thank the good lord you never made your way into coaching sports lol

One should not speak of Cam's injuries and the hits he takes without also mentioning the numerous times where he sits too long in the pocket holding the ball when nobody is open, looking for the home run ball. Maybe if he threw some of those away before getting walloped, or took off to run for a first down instead (like he did on the possessions where the ball actually moved downfield), he wouldn't be injured and beat up as badly. 

Maybe if the gameplan wasn't to simply have our tall WR's run down field and post up over and over, while RBs are open out of the backfield...maybe if Cam knew he should dump it down more often, it would force the defense to back up a step and hence he would have more time to throw and better protection....

Maybe maybe maybe...

1 minute ago, Cuttinedge said:

You would think a competent OC would game plan for these blitzes. Since everyone knows this is what's coming. He shoulda figured this out after the super bow loss 

The reason all teams don't employ the blitzfest strategy against others, they know a real OC will exploit it and make them pay.

Shula hasn't had a solution for it since Denver showed the game plan in SB 

This. The same gameplan for the past two years that the Vikings, Falcons, and Broncos used. Defense sells out to stop the run on first down to put the offense in 2nd & long, isolate their best pass rushers against our tackles. 

Hopefully, they increase Curtis Samuel's workload this week because I thought he was brought here to attack the middle of the defense while being a vertical threat. All he runs right now are screens. 

It's a combination of things, including Dave Gettleman not doing what needed to be done to get a rock solid left tackle. You motherfugers say it hat you want, I'd rather invest in an old stalwart LT every or every other year if need be than trying to protect my franchise QB on the cheap. At some point you just have to forego excuses. A piss poor job at getting Cam exclamation points at LT has been done. And I am not resolving Cam of his responsibility, but he has never been put into an optimal position to succeed, or even be as efficient as he can be. 

I've told y'all before that I was skeptical of G-man's team building philosophy, and with Matt Kalil being Matt Kalil, and Olsen being hurt, I think that criticism is justified. 

But the criticism just isn't about G-man, I am becoming more critical of Rivera everyday---every day that he lets Shula flail around as an OC. What good is it to invest a first and second round pick in players that are very dynamic if you're not going to exploit their talents? Hell, Samuel ain't hardly getting any run at all. It's stupid, and Rivera should be able to see it if all of us can.  

This was one of the worst Shula called games I've seen in a while and it's looking like my fears have been realized after we drafted CMC, and that's that Shula is NOT a good enough OC to use him correctly, or Samuel.    That QB draw play drove me nuts as well.    Shula has always been the weakest link here, and since Rivera keeps him around, he's part of the problem too.     With Shula's inability to draw up anything creative with CMC, I'm starting to worry about the pick (not anything against CMC but Shula) and wishing we traded back into the first for OJ Howard after Greg goes down and now we're stuck with Dickson.    You know our QB is rusty and you know the line is still unproven, so what do you do?   Instead of using CMC and Samuel for short quick passes, we elect to keep using LONG developing plays against a defense that A) is good and B) knows us.   

There is no hope for Shula and every year we trot this mediocre play caller out there, is another year you realize this franchise is just A-OK with mediocrity and always has been.  

15 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I do agree. Execution was bad all around. While I do agree some of Shula's playcalls were questionable, execution is the main factor that killed us.

And not using our weapons holy crap. Samuel needs to see the field more.

40 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Sorry, the offensive line gave Cam at least 3 seconds on most of the sacks and pressures. You can't ask for more than that against the Bills. 

When fricking Ed Dickson is open 40 yards down field, that is a hint that the play took waaaaaay too long to develop. 

27 of the 32 passes attempted were short to medium range.   Of course, that doesn't count the sacks.  But we threw 5 passes with a down and goal to go. All of them were short, quick developing passes.   All of them were incomplete.  If we complete even 2 out of 5 in those red zone passes, we probably aren't having this conversation at all.  Red zone issues were the major problem on offense yesterday.  

One thing I noticed this week is Cam did not use the check down at all. I guess his arm was feeling better and tried to stay in the pocket longer and make the big throws. What happened to the quicker designed routes we were supposed to use this year?  It was a very frustrating game to watch with the weapons we have on offense.  I thought we supposed to get mccaffrey and Samuel free in space and let them do their thing.  Guess not...

It sure as hell looked like 2016 all over again except the defense is for real. 

Archived