• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is cam still dual threat qb?

Binkster

This is a part of our offense that should become more situational.  We have to keep the threat alive to keep defenses honest.  Therefore, in regards to your question he is still a dual threat but the threat will be less of a prominent piece of our offense. Its time for Cam to deliver with his arm more than his legs and save those legs for when we absolutely need it.

46 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I think the QB power runs on the goal line will still be there, but anything behind that is gone, as it should be. Maybe in a situation when we ABSOLUTELY need a game changing play or clutch first down do we use it as well. Honestly though, Cam is just not as fast as he use to be tbh He gets caught by DE's now and can barely outrun anybody to the sidelines.

However, the threat of Cam running is still game-planned for from defenses, which should continue to allow our receivers to have a lot of one on one matchups. Now, if only our receivers could win those matchups on a regular basis.

And so it begins. First, TD has lost a step. Now its Cam who is "Not as fast".  Man, all I can do now is hope fervently, that we can even make through the season.

2 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Most of his worst hits have all happened in the pocket though. Cam rarely takes a big hit down the field.

Cam has taken over 300 more hits than any other QB during the same playing time period. It's not necessarily how hard the hits are, it's just the sheer number he's taken. We all know he's going to get hit in the pocket, that's just part of being a QB. Designing plays to turn your QB into a RB because you lack the ability to create an offense that can use other pieces of the offense, well that's just Shula. 

35 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

And so it begins. First, TD has lost a step. Now its Cam who is "Not as fast".  Man, all I can do now is hope fervently, that we can even make through the season.

What? I swear, say something on the huddle and people take it to doomsday levels. It's impossible to have a conversation without people deflecting per par. There is no doubt Cam is slower than he used to be. Just look at this video and compare it to now.

Not saying he is slow as Tom Brady, but he is not as fast as he used to be. It's actually obvious if you use your eyes. NO DOUBT that QB bootleg yesterday is a walk in TD 3 years ago.

Idk you go look at his highlights from hus rookie year and second year and see his speed and explosiveness and you wonder if he still has it. Haven't really seen it in a few years. The past few years he seems like he can't out run anybody. I think it has had to do wit the beating his body has taken though.

Cam definitely scores on that bootleg a few years ago.  There is a part of me that wonders if he didn't go full bore to avoid contact (which still happened regardless).  But he has looked slower both last year and yesterday.

With the way the offensive line was playing yesterday, Shula should have been fired if he was calling designed QB runs up the gut.  The 300+ more hits Cam has taken more than any other QB is sobering and ought to give pause to anyone who cares about Cam long-term as both a QB and as a person.

That being said, it really does limit our offense if we completely remove the threat of Cam running.  Of course, scrabbling and mixing in some bootleg runs makes sense anytime.  However, there are quite a few QB's in the league that can do that (Cam, Wilson Rodgers, Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, Mariota, Luck, Prescott, Kizer, Watson, etc.)

It's Cam's ability to do QB power (especially near the goal line) that is a game changer.  If the game is on the line and/or especially in the playoffs, I think everything gets thrown out the window and we let Cam be Superman.

Cam can be a top 10 QB as a passer (he wasn't yesterday knocking off the rust).  But he can only be a MVP when he's a dual threat.  I love Cam, but objectively speaking, that's been borne out over 6+ years now.  

Doesn't mean we can't win with Cam just as passer, especially if the defense plays like they did yesterday and we use Stew/McCaffrey to handle the load.  But when nothing else is working offensively, we have used Cam's running as a crutch for the last 6 years, and it's been something we've gotten used to and have honestly abused to an extent.

That's a long-winded way of saying, I hope he is still a true dual-threat if the situation dictates.  But I am totally OK and want the Panthers to limit his designed power running until it's a necessity or the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Idk you go look at his highlights from hus rookie year and second year and see his speed and explosiveness and you wonder if he still has it. Haven't really seen it in a few years. The past few years he seems like he can't out run anybody. I think it has had to do wit the beating his body has taken though.

Cam was still plenty fast and explosive in 2015.  I think if anything, teams respected his passing more in 2015 and didn't blitz as much to leave more defenders to counter his running.  I think some of the really long runs earlier in his career were due to teams blitzing and getting caught with too many guys in the backfield when Cam took off.

And even if you argue Cam had lost a little bit of overall speed in 2015, the explosion especially near the goal line was certainly there.

Last year there was a definite drop off for sure, and that bootleg yesterday was definitely a play we're accustomed to see him score on.

I don't think Cam has been the same as a runner since the Denver hits and the concussion he got half-assing it into the endzone against Neal in the ATL game last year.

The strategy other teams employed and the refs ignore was to hit him hard in the head.   You go back to the Atlanta game in 2015 and that is where it started.   Cam can take a aggressive hit and not get injured as long as the headshot are involved.  That is the ONLY way teams can stop him.  If he runs and gets a headshot the refs better freaking call it.  

Cam needs to be that dual threat that he can be.  While I agree it shouldn't be as many times as before he needs to be that dual threat and make teams game plan for it.

Archived