• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is cam still dual threat qb?

Binkster

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

Cam's elusiveness now and 2013 and earlier is night and day. Not sure why that is but I was hoping the weight loss helped. Didn't seem to yesterday.

He didn't really try to run much yesterday though, which is fine. I would like to point out though that one of his best throws happened when he scrambled to his right and hit CMC for a big first down. That was his running ability affecting the defense just as much as if he would have run it himself.

I really want him scrambling the same amount as years prior. He just needs to know how to protect himself by sliding and getting out of bounds.  I wouldn't have him doing the goal line stuff.  Those are basically plays where the defense gets to tee off on him and I would toss the Zone read  

Cam not running the ball is not utilizing him to his fullest potential 

Yea I think Cam could actually benifit from scrambling more to keep the defense off balance . But designed runs should only be called maybe 1-2 times per game and also in the red zone with 10 yrds or less to go. Otherwise we'll see much more of what happened on Sunday, dump offs to McCaffrey and Stewart which really isnt a bad thing, they both did a great job at getting positive yards.

Especially McCaffrey,  he looked great on every pass he got, looks like a legitimate #2 WR and he's our #2 RB. 

58 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Cam's elusiveness now and 2013 and earlier is night and day. Not sure why that is but I was hoping the weight loss helped. Didn't seem to yesterday.

Yes, this is the NFL, but these were the 49ers in the season opener we were going to win easily.

Depending on the situation you will definitely see different gears going forward-which is smart.

43 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

I really want him scrambling the same amount as years prior. He just needs to know how to protect himself by sliding and getting out of bounds.  I wouldn't have him doing the goal line stuff.  Those are basically plays where the defense gets to tee off on him and I would toss the Zone read  

Cam not running the ball is not utilizing him to his fullest potential 

No doubt but yesterday was Exhibit A of not wanting or needing to go into harm's way.

1 hour ago, Binkster said:

We know there's a little rust and we mostly agree that's to be expected and not a major concern. 6/6 in the 2nd half - good stuff.

Question is Cam still a dual threat qb? Are the days of defenses having to keep a spy on Cam's run game over forever? Hopefully not. 

No more power designed runs , use him in PA, rollout , bootlegs etc etc  

Also QB sneaks!

I think the QB power runs on the goal line will still be there, but anything behind that is gone, as it should be. Maybe in a situation when we ABSOLUTELY need a game changing play or clutch first down do we use it as well. Honestly though, Cam is just not as fast as he use to be tbh He gets caught by DE's now and can barely outrun anybody to the sidelines.

However, the threat of Cam running is still game-planned for from defenses, which should continue to allow our receivers to have a lot of one on one matchups. Now, if only our receivers could win those matchups on a regular basis.

The answer to the OP's question is yes, Cam is still a duel threat QB, and likely always will be.

But to dig further, I'm hoping that the Panthers are going to use him less and less on designed runs, and only lean on them when truly needed.  (I don't trust Shula and RR to pick these times correctly though)

As to scrambling...he's a great runner, not a great scrambler....and yes, there is a difference.

Cam will be considered a dual threat QB because his running will always be stuff a defense will have to keep their eye on but I don't think it will be as much as an emphasis or as effective as before. 

3rd and 1 or 2: Since coming into the league Cam has run the power with a lot of success and the Panthers have taken advantage of that for many years. I don't think we will see this every game like we had in years past. We might go back to it in important situations. 

Read Option: This started to become more of a focal point in the offense the past 3 years, but I am hoping that we start to go away with it. Now that Cam is running a little more reserved, he doesn't pose the breakaway threat to defenses as he did when he came into the league. 

Scrambling: Cam has always scrambled mostly towards the outside. Very rarely does he take off up the middle. But he used to be able to break containment with his speed/agility. Now, not so much. He will do this sparingly. 

Injury: Coming back from a shoulder injury means that Cam usage on running plays will be down considerably in the first few games, it might come back in the middle to end of year, but that really depends on how successful we are without having to use Cam's legs. 

All I know is I saw him roll out of a bad situation and dumped it to CMC perfectly one time.  Old Cam would have just tried to power thru and get hit by 3 players, this time he took the smart route and we got a first down.  That made me happy.

Archived