• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is cam still dual threat qb?

Binkster

We know there's a little rust and we mostly agree that's to be expected and not a major concern. 6/6 in the 2nd half - good stuff.

Question is Cam still a dual threat qb? Are the days of defenses having to keep a spy on Cam's run game over forever? Hopefully not. 

Hopefully so.

Shouldn't rely on it so much and needs to be smarter with his running, ex. Rodgers.

If you truly do not believe he can be a successful QB passing the ball and must have that threat to be effective by all means, make him a dual threat. I do believe he can though and see no reason for unnecessary hits.

There's a play last year in KC that stuck out to me showing his running days are over... he ran a bootleg on 3rd and 8 and easily could have got the first down, but he slid for absolutely no reason... nobody was even close to him...made no sense other then to go out of his way to show he was avoiding contact to the coaches because it was right after the media had a field day with the shots to the head he was taking.

Then there was the rollout yesterday... the old cam would have scored on that, but the new cam just strolled his ass right on out of bounds... still got hit, might as well have gone for the score.

1 minute ago, Cary Kollins said:

As long as he plays he'll be a dual threat. The read option was effective yesterday in freezing the defense for big plays several times.

The offense made the 49ers defense think too much yesterday and then conservatively took what it gave them.  I'm not a big Shula guy but this was a fortunate day for the offense and was a very good logical game plan given the circumstances.  Your QB had one series in the preseason.  Knock off the rust, make note to address some of the mistakes (correctable IMO) and take the W. 

The threat will always be there and it shouldn't be explicitly outlawed.  Take it when it's there.  As a natural byproduct of having more weapons I think it'll taper off and we'll only see it when necessary.

He had a rough first half but I was impressed at how many layups he took in the passing game.  

Yes he still is,  but they are doing the right thing of not running QB power.

The two runs he had last night is the way he should be used as a runner. The first one he scrambled and picked up a first down that extended the drive. The second one he had a rollout in space where he has the decision to slide or run out of bounds.

This is probably the healthiest Cam has felt after a game in years. Was not sacked and no inside runs. 

Archived