• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers at 49ers - 5 Fearless Predictions

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If this were the same offense as last year, I might agree with you due to we always seem to start slow in game one.  However, there aren't any teams out there with substantial footage of our "Improved Offense"   I feel it is going to be just the opposite.   I think we score the first couple of series and open this game wide open.

I hope you're right, man. Would be great to see us open up and score.

First games are always a big toss up. I'll always expect us to win no matter who we play but this could be a very weird game. Last year doesn't matter. Lots of unknowns from the SF side. They have 3 1st round picks on that dline that could be making some leaps this year. Shanahan is an above average signal caller and knows how to utilize the talent he has. First few weeks teams are developing their identities, at least the good ones. We shall see. 

14 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I think that in the first quarter we're going to be surprised by how stingy the 49ers defense is, possibly going three and out a couple of times. Shanahan is trying to rebuild a franchise and defense is always the first and easiest piece of the puzzle.

That defense, though, will break down because of their offense. We'll be working from a short field by the second quarter and I think a couple of timely turnovers will break the 49ers spirit.

I think this will be a low scoring affair, possibly 14-3 by the time it is done. Touchdowns by Stewart and Funchess.

you do realize that shanahan is known for his high powered offense, right?

5 hours ago, ickmule said:

Cam will be rusty and this will be a close game. Don't be surprised if it's an L.  

I'm less worried about Cam and the offense than I am about how exposed our secondary has looked in the preseason on defense. If they start giving up huge chunk plays through the air early and we get down quickly by more than 1 score, then it might be ugly. I don't think Cam's ready to be chunking it way downfield for most of the game like he was in his rookie season playing from behind so much.

The coaches probably want a nice easy game for Cam. Run the ball a shitton and throw short/intermediate slants and cross patterns, and dump offs to RBs to keep the defense from selling out on the run every play. You may even still see Cam in shotgun quite a bit, but Ill say theres going to be lots of draws and short passes out of them. Which in a way is good practice for the team, its an element we just haven't had in a long while , in a way Cam's injury will force Shula to call some shorter step drops and quicker hitting passes that'll probably benefit the team in the long run. 

Archived