• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers at 49ers - 5 Fearless Predictions

Jeremy Igo

t is here, ladies and gentlemen. The end of the long cold offseason is upon us. The Carolina Panthers are set to square off against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Here are five things I am fairly certain that will transpire this weekend.

Is Cam Newton really ready for action? Yes, kind of. Ron Rivera did say yesterday that there is no limitations on play calling as far as Newton is concerned. That was more for the San Francisco 49ers' ears, however. Rivera wants them to know that the deep ball could come at any time during the game. But Carolina Panthers fans should temper their expectations with Newton.

carolina panthers san francisco 49ers

Look for a run heavy offense that will limit the number of throws Newton makes. The Panthers will want to bring him in gradually over the next few weeks and not risk a sore shoulder causing him issues. A heavy dose of Jonathan Stewart early, and then plays featuring Christian McCaffrey applied liberally for the knockout punch. When Cam does pass the ball, quick slants or screens are on the menu. Much like we saw in Jacksonville.

Continue....

I agree with most everything.   I think Bradberry and Luke will have the Int's.  CMC will score and he will score early.

I won't predict score but I think it will be big and we jump many notches in the Power Rankings.

We'll shut down the run game and Hoyer will feed right into our hands with the passing game.  Short passed that we defend to minimal YAC.

Ugh.... we really are going to have two freaking kickers on the roster on Sunday, aren't we?  I'm an eternal optimist and thought maybe Hurney would cut someone when the trade didn't come through but before any games were actually played (to be clear: I still thought this was a stupid plan). I thought we'd have a real NFL roster by crunch time. 

But, no.  Nightmare Hurney is actually going to keep two extremely mediocre kickers on the roster. Wow. 

I think that in the first quarter we're going to be surprised by how stingy the 49ers defense is, possibly going three and out a couple of times. Shanahan is trying to rebuild a franchise and defense is always the first and easiest piece of the puzzle.

That defense, though, will break down because of their offense. We'll be working from a short field by the second quarter and I think a couple of timely turnovers will break the 49ers spirit.

I think this will be a low scoring affair, possibly 14-3 by the time it is done. Touchdowns by Stewart and Funchess.

10 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I think that in the first quarter we're going to be surprised by how stingy the 49ers defense is, possibly going three and out a couple of times. Shanahan is trying to rebuild a franchise and defense is always the first and easiest piece of the puzzle.

That defense, though, will break down because of their offense. We'll be working from a short field by the second quarter and I think a couple of timely turnovers will break the 49ers spirit.

I think this will be a low scoring affair, possibly 14-3 by the time it is done. Touchdowns by Stewart and Funchess.

Carolina nearly put up a 50 burger on them last year, and now they are starting more rookies on defense. 

I don't see it being a low scoring game. 

Archived