• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you want Christian McCaffrey returning punts?

Jeremy Igo

Didn't he take a scary hit returning a punt in the last preseason game by one of our own guys? We didn't even make it out of the preseason without him taking a nasty hit on a punt return.  I wouldn't have him returning punts, but the fans in favor of this are going to get their wish.  I'd guess it's hard to stay fresh out there returning punts and playing in the offense, but whatever. Cross your fingers.

6 hours ago, Cats Pride said:

I understand your point and it does make sense. I am afraid a lot of people will be changing there tune if Byrd somehow fumbles away a few Punts and it leads to scores for the opponents. Then the whole rested for offense and less chance for injury will suddenly go out the window.

IF that happens...then it can be addressed. IF

The goal of the experimental rule is to limit kickoff returns, which account for 23.4 percent of concussions during games despite representing only 5.8 percent of overall plays. The Ivy League will evaluate the concussion and kickoff return data after the season.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/07/college-football-nfl-get-rid-of-kickoffs

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-12-25/sports/9312250106_1_bears-tom-waddle-punts

7 minutes ago, ECUPantherFan said:

Is there an actual metric out there that says KR/PR get hurt more frequently than say, a RB?  I think you're more likely to get hurt trying to run through a hole and getting rolled up on than you are getting blown up on a punt or kick return.

injury can happen on any play at anytime. Holding back to make the playoffs is a sad state.

10 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

I don't understand there argument for not having a rookie return punts lol. If AB can do it anyone can. This shouldn't even be a thread until he's a proven star

Exactly.. this ain't preseason no more.. everyone will be moving 100mph no holds barred the stars will be out this ain't some walk in the park.. if run cmc fumbles on pr he'll get yanked to.. wake up ppl..

13 hours ago, Cats Pride said:

I understand your point and it does make sense. I am afraid a lot of people will be changing there tune if Byrd somehow fumbles away a few Punts and it leads to scores for the opponents. Then the whole rested for offense and less chance for injury will suddenly go out the window.

Now come on. There is no reason to exaggerate a negative, that may never happen, to make your point sound better. Sure, muffing a punt is a huge deflater, but let's not hand them out willy nilly before the games even start.

Both CMC, and Byrd track the ball well, and they both catch the punt really well. I would not be upset with either of them back there. But worrying over muffed punts before the season starts is rather...misguided if you ask me.

CMC is a playmaker. Let the kid make some plays. He is an NFL player, right?

But hey, at my age, any excitement is a welcome experience.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Now come on. There is no reason to exaggerate a negative, that may never happen, to make your point sound better. Sure, muffing a punt is a huge deflater, but let's not hand them out willy nilly before the games even start.

Both CMC, and Byrd track the ball well, and they both catch the punt really well. I would not be upset with either of them back there. But worrying over muffed punts before the season starts is rather...misguided if you ask me.

CMC is a playmaker. Let the kid make some plays. He is an NFL player, right?

But hey, at my age, any excitement is a welcome experience.

I agree with you. I think CMC should be taking the Punts and letting his skills show. . I was just making a point after many have said they really wanted Byrd back there and hell everyone is making assumptions that CMC is going to get pummeled and injured even before the first Punt is up in the air so why not. Also with the amount of whining that I have seen on here it would give people just another thing to whine about. I don't care who they choose(which I believe they have already shown they are leaning to CMC). All I care about is if they are productive.

22 minutes ago, Cats Pride said:

I agree with you. I think CMC should be taking the Punts and letting his skills show. . I was just making a point after many have said they really wanted Byrd back there and hell everyone is making assumptions that CMC is going to get pummeled and injured even before the first Punt is up in the air so why not. Also with the amount of whining that I have seen on here it would give people just another thing to whine about. I don't care who they choose(which I believe they have already shown they are leaning to CMC). All I care about is if they are productive.

Probably the same folks that fretted CMC may not be able to take a hit. I guess some folks just need something to fret over. Me? I am just so excited over this year. I can't see wasting my excitement on something I have no control over. Or that may never happen.

Oh, And GOOOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived