• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you want Christian McCaffrey returning punts?

Jeremy Igo

15 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

What if CMC does the same but the second fumble is a result of some ligaments in his knee being blown out  and is out for a year and possibly not the same player he was before? 

A great special teams unit prevents big plays from happening! That is what we need.  

Like most things in life, football is about mitigating risk, and capitilizing on opportunity. CMC returning punts does not jive with that, he could/will be more valuable getting additional touches and snaps on offense. 

Good Job asking a question instead of answering one. :) I get where you are coming from. Any player back there could under perform, but all of us are sitting behind a computer screen a typing about "what if" and the coaches that are getting paid to make these sort of decisions and see what he can do close up everyday seem to have already made this decision. It would be awful if McCaffrey got injured returning a Punt. It would be awful if CMC got injured getting rolled over on by an Offensive Lineman. Hell anyway it would be awful if he got hurt or any player. 

I am one of those people that even hates seeing the other teams players get injured. I also know that it is part of the game.

14 minutes ago, Cats Pride said:

Good Job asking a question instead of answering one. :) I get where you are coming from. Any player back there could under perform, but all of us are sitting behind a computer screen a typing about "what if" and the coaches that are getting paid to make these sort of decisions and see what he can do close up everyday seem to have already made this decision. It would be awful if McCaffrey got injured returning a Punt. It would be awful if CMC got injured getting rolled over on by an Offensive Lineman. Hell anyway it would be awful if he got hurt or any player. 

I am one of those people that even hates seeing the other teams players get injured. I also know that it is part of the game.

My question was rhetorical, sorry for not making that more obvious to you, I thought it was clear after the follow-up paragraphs. :thinking:

6 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

My question was rhetorical, sorry for not making that more obvious to you, I thought it was clear after the follow-up paragraphs. :thinking:

The bottom line is I don't want any player to get injured, but to think not giving CMC the Punt Returning duties which he seemed to have earned will eliminate the chance of injury is living in dream land. It can happen in the most freakish way on the field. Hell it has even happened to players off the field. The only 100% way of keeping a player from getting injured in a game is to give them a permanent spot on the bench and tell them not to move. Like I said I want to see this Kid work his magic this year just like I like to see Cam work his magic and each game I hold my breath for no major injuries.

12 minutes ago, Cats Pride said:

The bottom line is I don't want any player to get injured, but to think not giving CMC the Punt Returning duties which he seemed to have earned will eliminate the chance of injury is living in dream land. It can happen in the most freakish way on the field. Hell it has even happened to players off the field. The only 100% way of keeping a player from getting injured in a game is to give them a permanent spot on the bench and tell them not to move. Like I said I want to see this Kid work his magic this year just like I like to see Cam work his magic and each game I hold my breath for no major injuries.

It's not about eliminating injuries, that cannot be done, even it figure skating, and that thing they do in the Olympics with the ribbons.  It's about risk mitigation. Statistically, he is significantly more likely to score playing offense than returning punts, while being more rested and ready to play. And being a greater asset to the team. 

It's not about him "earning" the job, he isn't a late round pick or UDFA, the kid is going to play on Sundays regardless. 

And no, I don't want him playing in a flag football league like Steve Smith did...

Full speed missile tackles are absolutely more dangerous than your average offensive play tackles.  Like others said, I'm fine with it as a wrinkle or to try to turn the tide in an important game, but top 10 pics don't often return kicks.  Smitty wasn't an integral part of our offense when he was returning kicks.  He dabbled in it occasionally later in his career, but once he became a star at WR he stopped regularly returning kicks.  There's a reason for that.

2 hours ago, Popsickle said:

It's not about eliminating injuries, that cannot be done, even it figure skating, and that thing they do in the Olympics with the ribbons.  It's about risk mitigation. Statistically, he is significantly more likely to score playing offense than returning punts, while being more rested and ready to play. And being a greater asset to the team. 

It's not about him "earning" the job, he isn't a late round pick or UDFA, the kid is going to play on Sundays regardless. 

And no, I don't want him playing in a flag football league like Steve Smith did...

I understand your point and it does make sense. I am afraid a lot of people will be changing there tune if Byrd somehow fumbles away a few Punts and it leads to scores for the opponents. Then the whole rested for offense and less chance for injury will suddenly go out the window.

Archived