• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you want Christian McCaffrey returning punts?

Jeremy Igo

Yes. Get him on the field as much as you can.

I think that was the idea on drafting Samuel as well. If one gets hurt, they will be somewhat interchangeable.  Both can run, both can catch. CMC does well blocking. That is where my concern would be with Samuel, it is an unknown. I should clarify, that is an unknown to me. Does anyone know how he did blocking in college?

I say no, if you want CMC getting more touches he should get them on the offensive side of the ball. If he is going to evolve the offense that is we're his focus needs to be. 

Devin Hester, the most prolific punter returner in NFL history returned 14 punts over 10 years, for 0.044% of returns for a TD and averaged 11.7 yards per return.  Not that many punts go for touchdowns. 

I would just prefer somebody out there that is going to make smart decision and hang onto the ball. Our special teams always have been a joke, while placing CMC out there would more than likely affect the return game for better, the core issues of special teams need to be addressed and remedied. You can polish a turd all you want...but it is still a turd. 

Yeah, I think some of you guys are kind of overreacting.  The odds of him getting injured on punt return aren't any higher than any other standard play, especially if he is smart with his fair catches.  If anything, he will have more time to avoid direct hits because of the open space.

8 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

Devin Hester, the most prolific punter returner in NFL history returned 14 punts over 10 years, for 0.044% of returns for a TD and averaged 11.7 yards per return.  Not that many punts go for touchdowns. 

And not every run goes for a touchdown.  That is a bad way to look at it.  Even when he wasn't returning it for a TD, Hester could still make a huge difference in field position.  I forgot which game it was or who he was playing for at the time (may have been the 2010 game) but I remember us straight up preferring to give them good field position rather than kick it to Hester.  

I say yes. I think the best player that can give us the best filed position on returns should be back there. If the coaches determine that is McCaffrey than he should be back there. He could get injured running the ball up the middle. I want the best players on the field the majority of the time.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Pros: Could gain some field advantage, but then again so could Byrd. 

Cons: Injury, bye bye "evolved" offense

Is it worth it? What say you?

No. 

We have other people for that. Honestly our special teams execution has not been all that as of late. Let him do his thing. 

Archived