• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you want Christian McCaffrey returning punts?

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Smith wasn't a top 10 pick. 

He did it until he was too valuable to have him back there. 

Is CMC already too valuable? 

Smith returned a punt for a td in the 2005 playoffs against the seahawks. You're saying he wasn't too valuable then? 

Just now, jbland said:

We did it with Smith(at least his first few years) why not CMC?

Because with McCaffrey in there our offense looks like it's not going to be one dimensional like it has times in the past.  

Of course he's probably our best option at PR but if he gets hurt then we'll lose the most diverse offensive playmaker that we have.  

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Yes, we drafted the 8th pick overall to be a punt returner. 

Wait, what?

Do it all, including affecting 1/3 of the game that is special teams, SIGNIFICANTLY affecting a long floundering return game and uplift a now utterly depressing/maddening unit with Gano.

6 minutes ago, Nails said:

Do it all, including affecting 1/3 of the game that is special teams, SIGNIFICANTLY affecting a long floundering return game and uplift a now utterly depressing/maddening unit with Gano.

OK, I'm on board. 

But if he gets injured I am banning you. Twice. 

Absolutely not. He's both an almost uncontainable back and a triple threat receiving option from the backfield, slot, and wide. That's enough, and is indeed something we've never had...not like this. Let Byrd use his speed and earn his keep while keeping CMC safe from gunners and cheap hits. However, under certain unique circumstances, like an important win or lose scenario, I wouldn't be opposed to rare use in a dire situation. 

Everyone that wants Byrd returning punts - have you even considered if he will be active on gamedays? Don't we usually keep 1 WR inactive when we carry 6? Not sure if he will get a jersey every game. And I'd rather have someone consistently back there then someone that feels that they have to do something amazing in order to continue playing. That leads to too many mistakes.

Just now, YoungPanthers89 said:

CMC had 56 kick returns and 34 punt returns in 3 years

Byrd: 3 kick returns and 0 punt returns in 4 years

CMC is a top 10 pick. Byrd is not. Now if CMC was All-Pro at it, then maybe. But he's not and we're risking injury to a top 10 pick for only average or below average stats as a punt returner. 

Archived