• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So apparently Hurney had a man crush on Kaaya

Jeremy Igo

The Lions only seem to have kept two QB on their roster so one would expect they would have put Kaaya on their practice squad if Hurney hadn't grabbed him. Aside from Hurney's history with the elder Gilbert why keep Garrett on the PS after taking Kaaya?

Hurney kept Anderson over Webb because of the way he has played in the past, ignoring his poor play in the preseason. Let's hope Cam stays healthy or this typical Hurney decision will be a kiss off of the season.

1 minute ago, Glitchh H said:

The Lions only seem to have kept two QB on their roster so one would expect they would have put Kaaya on their practice squad if Hurney hadn't grabbed him. Aside from Hurney's history with the elder Gilbert why keep Garrett on the PS after taking Kaaya?

Hurney kept Anderson over Webb because of the way he has played in the past, ignoring his poor play in the preseason. Let's hope Cam stays healthy or this typical Hurney decision will be a kiss off of the season.

If Cam got hurt and Webb was the backup.. The season would be over.  Either way. 

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No, not like Garropolo. Garrapolo was a 2nd round pick drafted to play behind an all time Great who is pushing 40 and by all means intended to be the heir apparent.

Kaaya is a 6th rounder who got cut in his first training camp and is being signed to hopefully compete with an aging #2 to backup an MVP caliber QB in his prime.

Big difference.

LOL i meant in the sense that we can develop a young QB who might garner trade interest down the road. calm yourself

2 hours ago, Glitchh H said:

Maybe, but Joe's play seemed good enough to give the team a chance with his ability to run/get outside the pocket.

Wait when was the last pass you saw Webb throw in a game that mattered??

What was his win loss record as a starter??

Either you don't know much about football or you are joking..

But let's make this clear.. Joe Webb isn't a starter quality QB and if Cam was lost for the season and Joe Webb was the backup.. We would be looking at a top 5 pick in the draft. 

Just now, Krovvy said:

He didn't trade up though, because it cost too much. He wasn't willing to drop a third and multiple picks like Gettleman was willing to do for Funchess.

Gettleman could have learned from Hurney on trade value.

People forget Hurney was directed to NOT draft a 1st round player in 2009 and 2010. He had to do his best to trade out for the 1st round. This was all related to the tight pockets of JR leading up to his positioning for the owners in the CBA negotiations.

He was not ordered to trade the 2011 1st rounder because the CBA would correct the inflated price tags on 1st round picks.

Hurney does not trade away 1st round picks if it were not for the CBA battle led by JR. He never traded a 1st round pick outside of those 2 years leading to the rebuild in 2011. Clausen was not even drafted to be a starter in 2010. It was Matt Moore who was the lead dog in 2010 and lost it. The Panthers were positioning for Andrew Luck in 2011.

5 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

People forget Hurney was directed to NOT draft a 1st round player in 2009 and 2010. He had to do his best to trade out for the 1st round. This was all related to the tight pockets of JR leading up to his positioning for the owners in the CBA negotiations.

He was not ordered to trade the 2011 1st rounder because the CBA would correct the inflated price tags on 1st round picks.

Hurney does not trade away 1st round picks if it were not for the CBA battle led by JR. He never traded a 1st round pick outside of those 2 years leading to the rebuild in 2011. Clausen was not even drafted to be a starter in 2010. It was Matt Moore who was the lead dog in 2010 and lost it. The Panthers were positioning for Andrew Luck in 2011.

Keep dreaming. Hurney started trading away firsts in 08 when he we drafted Otah. After that he was like a degenerate gambler. He couldn't help himself. 

5 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

I'm all for keeping things in context and remembering the facts when discussing the past, but this is the first time I've ever heard this floated.  You have any sort of source?

Hurney went into 2008 NEEDING an offensive lineman.  Stewart was an amazing value pick (look up his combine stats--better than Fournette) so he grabbed him.  I was standing at the bar at Picasso's with a bunch of Huddlers and there was this huge collective "HUH???" at the time.  This was followed by some cheering later on, when he grabbed Otah in a draft deep in OT talent.

Had Otah stayed healthy this would likely be discussed as one of Hurney's better moves.  Stewart and Williams together set records, but Otah's knees went away and he followed shortly thereafter.  The 2009 trade that netted Everette Brown was a reaction to Peppers leaving and Hurney's desperate attempt to replace him through the draft.  I don't think JR had a thing to say about it at the time.

15 minutes ago, jbland said:

Keep dreaming. Hurney started trading away firsts in 08 when he we drafted Otah. After that he was like a degenerate gambler. He couldn't help himself. 

12 steps 4 years... maybe, hopefully he doesn't need to prove himself a geniu....wait,  why am I discussing  Hurney like he is the permanent GM?

17 minutes ago, Jangler said:

okay now that's funny. 

Well Dorsey is a Cane and the poor kid Kaaya did have a different offense and OC in each year of college. So it's difficult to say what he may become with some consistency. I've never really been a huge Dorsey fan but I'm certainly willing to let Kaaya grow. He literally cost us nothing.

1 minute ago, Moorgan said:

Well Dorsey is a Cane and the poor kid Kaaya did have a different offense and OC in each year of college. So it's difficult to say what he may become with some consistency. I've never really been a huge Dorsey fan but I'm certainly willing to let Kaaya grow. He literally cost us nothing.

yeah, but when have the Panthers developed a QB? ever? Cam is talent and you build around him. It would be great to have a Cam replacement before it's needed. But I don't trust the Panthers to develop a QB.

1 minute ago, Jangler said:

yeah, but when have the Panthers developed a QB? ever? Cam is talent and you build around him. It would be great to have a Cam replacement before it's needed. But I don't trust the Panthers to develop a QB.

Fair point. Although Cam has developed over the years but it's hard to attribute that to the Panthers coaching staff. We just never hear many stories about Dorsey or what his impact is. Who knows? Maybe they can do. Call me hopeful.

7 hours ago, Cyberjag said:

I'm all for keeping things in context and remembering the facts when discussing the past, but this is the first time I've ever heard this floated.  You have any sort of source?

No, he doesn't.

CPK is well known to make s--t up and claim he got it from inside sources.

Archived