• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So apparently Hurney had a man crush on Kaaya

Jeremy Igo

8 hours ago, Shocker said:

He is Miami's all time passing yardage record holder.  They have had a few pretty good ones too.

Also his Oline was not top notch at Miami. He was getting the David Carr treatment a lot which forced him to get kinda shell shocked (especially against FSU) :liar:. I'm a Miami homer so I'm biased but I like that we have a smart developmental project which literally cost us 0 draft picks.

8 hours ago, Krovvy said:

He loved Cam too... and Luke...

I guess he didn't love Jimmy that much considering he waited until the 48th overall pick to select him without trading up.

He tried to trade up. Tried hard. Thank God the man had the sense not to let go of yet another first rounder, and it says a lot to me about Hurney's reputation at the  time that every team he contacted was trying to get it.

"Carolina general manager Marty Hurney didn't prescribe to that line of thinking, however. We know now that Hurney spent the day trying to trade up into the second round, never thinking that Clausen would fall all the way to Carolina's spot at No. 48.

He called the St. Louis Rams, who had the first pick in Round 2, 33rd overall. But the Rams wouldn't make a deal, apparently because Hurney was not willing to surrender a future first-round pick for the third consecutive year.

Hurney tried to trade all through Round 2, but kept running into the same problem.

Alas, he sat there at 48 and got Clausen anyway, prompting him to say "Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make."

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2010/04/reviewing-a-huge-draft-day-for-panthers-the-clausen-chase-the-armanti-factor.html

Even though I wasn't a fan of cutting Webb over DA, I have absolutely no problem picking up Kaaya. I don't know much about him, but do like developing a QB. I liked what I saw from Gilbert, but don't know if he could ever develop into a true #2 QB so why not? 

This Hurney move I don't mind. 

I would be willing to bet that getting younger at QB was already being discussed before Dave got fired. Think about it. Even Cam is pushing 30 already and coming off of shoulder surgery. I don't expect him to retire anytime soon but I do believe It was time to find a young QB to develop and now we have two of them in the pipeline.

14 hours ago, rayzor said:

after watching this i kind of do as well.

smart kid. smart QB (start at the 9:00 mark if you just want to focus on this part). he's got the head for it for sure. i'd like to see how he plays, but right now i'd be trusting him more than DA....not that the bar is set particularly high there.

Kaaya is actually a kid I liked too.

Very smart, sound fundamentals, just not necessarily the world's greatest athlete, but you don't have to be to be a good quarterback.

I don't have any complaints about this move.

Archived