• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We have Jerry Richardson to "thank"

Mark S

As a Panthers fan, whether you liked Gettleman or not, it was clear to see that this team was built for the future. Although all his decisions were not loved by everyone, most logical fans realized that the "business-only" mantra that Gettleman brought was better for the sake of reaching our ultimate goal and winning a Super Bowl. 

But Jerry Richardson still owned the team and he put his own feelings towards specific players over doing what an owner should do, which is taking whatever steps necessary to win a Super Bowl. 

After Hurney was fired, we brought in Gettleman who used his "business-only" attitude to get us out of cap hell and take us to a Super Bowl in the process. Although he didn't make Josh Norman the highest paid corner in NFL history or keeping the bad locker room presence in Steve Smith, we were comfortable that these decisions were necessary if a team wanted to be a perennial contender for a Super Bowl. Gettleman drafted great (even past the first round) and was consistent in finding UDFA gems.

But don't get me wrong, Gettleman had his mistakes. He did throw two rookie corners out in the open to start all of last year, although the decision seems to be paying off so far. He ignored the OT position for quite a while which led to the poor performance for Cam last year. It's  arguable that the safety position was not taken very seriously as well. But this offseason, Gettleman acknowledged his mistakes, drafted two offensive playmakers, gave up the big bucks for an OT, and brought in a decent safety. 

Now most fans believe that the reason Gettleman was fired is due to the whole TD/Olsen debacle and lingering feelings from Josh Norman being released. So fine, Gettleman was fired. 95% of fans hated it but there was a glimmer of hope that the replacement would carry over a similar mantra who could continue to build success for the future of this team. But no, Jerry Richardson had 0 intention of doing this. He brought back the SAME GM who clearly was ruining this team. For what? Only to be Jerry Richardson's yes man and so players' feelings would never get hurt. 

So as a result, here we are with a team which cut Joe Webb for Brad Kaaya (while keeping a poor-performing Derek Anderson), kept 2 kickers, 4 running backs, and made other questionable roster moves. 

How can anyone feel comfortable about the future of this team with decisions like this being made? We can't. And we have Jerry Richardson to thank. 

2 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

We may squeak by a winning record this year. Next year and going forward, I don't foresee another winning season until Rivera is gone and/or JR is no longer the owner of the Panthers.

Moreso JR than anything. He clearly cares less about winning a ring than making sure some people feel good. 

Every time I think about it, I'm still shocked that he literally brought back the same GM who had proven results of hindering this team's future. 

Woah, woah, woah....woah. Pump the brakes.

On the other hand our O-line is looking decent for a change. The offense has some new weapons that will help us get into the red zone. In the red zone we are pretty dangerous with KB/DF and Cam.

Front 7 looks decent and we have some depth.

fug kickers. We either punt or go for it on 4th...

The future is very uncertain, thats for sure. I think we have a chance to make some noise this year, but the downside to that is it would likely means that Hurney would drop the interim title IMO.

Better just go ahead and win the Suoer Bowl this year in case the Hurndog sticks around and tanks us again.

1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

This year's our best and probably last shot at a Superbowl. If Hurney remains for March, then there's no hope for the future.

Which is incredibly sad to think about. It took such a long time to get this team where it is now and it will all be lost due to the unstable emotions of our delirious owner. 

2 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

This year's our best and probably last shot at a Superbowl. If Hurney remains for March, then there's no hope for the future.

Im not a Hurney fan...but you do know we went to the Super Bowl under him, right?  With Jake as our QB.  

Just now, Smithers said:

Im not a Hurney fan...but you do know we went to the Super Bowl under him, right?  With Jake as our QB.  

But the difference between that trip to the SB and our last one is that we were set up for long term success and not ridiculous contracts handed out to aging players. 

6 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Moreso JR than anything. He clearly cares less about winning a ring than making sure some people feel good. 

Every time I think about it, I'm still shocked that he literally brought back the same GM who had proven results of hindering this team's future. 

That's such an overlooked issue here.  Marty Hurney was fired for poor job performance (or the public pressure to fire him for poor job performance).  This was in light of years of poor decisions and we bring him back rather than creating what should have been a professional transition team.  We also can't forget he was fired midseason which was weird enough.  It really seemed like a pressure fire over a JR hard stop decision.  

Even if we're great this year, the fans obviously have a very poor taste in their mouths with the FO.  

Just now, Mark S said:

But the difference between that trip to the SB and our last one is that we were set up for long term success and not ridiculous contracts handed out to aging players. 

Well you could make that argument if we experienced long term success...but we followed up the 2016 season with a 6-10 record and finished last in the division.  The 2003 team also had a bad follow up season (although Smith did miss that entire season which killed us).  Then we followed up in 2005 with another playoff season.  

I blame Hurney for a lot....but this team has won under him in the past.  And we can again in the future.  But he does have to change some of his habits that got us into cap hell.  

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

Well you could make that argument if we experienced long term success...but we followed up the 2016 season with a 6-10 record and finished last in the division.  The 2003 team also had a bad follow up season (although Smith did miss that entire season which killed us).  Then we followed up in 2005 with another playoff season.  

I blame Hurney for a lot....but this team has won under him in the past.  And we can again in the future.  But he does have to change some of his habits that got us into cap hell.  

I can't foresee a completely changed Marty Hurney now that will responsibly handle cap space. How am I supposed to just believe that he now understands how to financially handle this team? Plenty of other guys could have done the same job without Hurney's proven piss-poor track record, SB appearance or not. 

1 minute ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

No, he wasn't.  It was virtually the same squad as 2015. Injuries killed us. 

It actually wasn't.  We told ourselves it was. But it wasn't.  We lost Norman, Harper, Allen, and Tillman.  We also failed to improve upon an offensive line that got beat like a drum in the Super Bowl.  In the NFL, if you aren't getting better, then you are getting worse.  No such thing as remaining stagnant.  

Archived