• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Three reasons the Panthers could lose to the 49ers

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

I said it last year if our D struggles with Siemian which they did we are in for a long season, I will say the same with Hoyer.

I believe our pass rush is better to start this season than the start of last season and at-least our secondary is a little more experienced now.

My main concern is Cam, so I'm predicting he's going to be off and it's best to target CMC and Samuel, maybe even Byrd 5-8 yards out when passing and mostly run

Granted last year we had a lot of unknowns as well with the dbs all being rookies. That contributes to Denver Qbs good game against us. I wish I was more optimistic regarding cam we just have wait and see on that front. Maybe the fact of knowing your lively hood being on the line will bring out the best in kicking game. But number one worry here is history we more times then not suck on opening day.

Very valid points.  Some more:

1. We are on the road

2. We really cant game plan that much

3. We have 2 kickers and little depth at S.

4.  Damn.  We have 2 kickers---one will not get a jersey.  Atta boy, Marty.  Way to take the league by storm. 

5. Their GM is probably not a dumb ass.

6.  Remember when Marty gave Jake that huge contract after Tommy John surgery?  Then he flew to Chicago and cried with Jake's agent when Not-Smarty Marty had to cut him?  Remember that?  Boy, that was something.

7. Then Marty got fired, and we all went like "Yeah!!" and then we had a dream we had a real GM--and we made the playoffs.  And the Super Bowl?  Then Marty wakes us up by saying, "I'm Baaaaack!"  and we all screamed in terror?  Then Marty said he is interim, and we broke our fingers crossing them.  And then he returned to stage 3 idiocy.  Remember that?

Heres the thing that worries me.  I know people always say history doesn't amount for anything, but the Panthers have always started the season slow.  Even when we went 15-1, we struggled with the Jaguars who finished 5-11, The Texans who didn't have a real starting QB at the time (they used Ryan Mallet), and needed a late INT to stop the Luke McCown lead Saints.  We didn't really get to the dominant 15-1 feeling team until we beat the bucs in week 4 that year.

On the flipside, no matter how bad the 49ers are, they start well, even lately.  The 49ers haven't lost a season opener since Pickles was slingen the rock here in carolina.  Yup, they've won every season opener since 2010, that should be cause for alarm with how slow Rivera lead panthers teams have started under his watch.

We are the better team, but our guys better take these guys serious especially after we saw how a devastating early season loss like last year can set the tone for an entire season.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Kicker is unlike any other position on the field. It really is an individual sport, most of which is mental. 

Teams typically go out of their way to instill confidence in their kicker. For this reason, 1 is only kept.  Should a world beater all pro kicker be able to block everything out and none of that should matter? Sure. 

Do the Panthers have one of those or any prayer of one of those this season? Nope. 

imo gano's first kick defines his season. if he makes all his kicks in san fran i think he has a decent season. misses the first one? misses more and gets axed for butts.

hurney is stupid but keeping two kickers given the circumstances is not entirely indefensible. 

Archived