• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Three reasons the Panthers could lose to the 49ers

Jeremy Igo

8 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

As a GM you have to make tough decisions. If you are unable to do so, you have no business being GM. 

Pretty much. 

Kicking is like golf. So much of it is confidence. Teams need to do all in their power to build it up in their kickers. 

Telling both of them that neither really won the job doesn't exactly inspire it. 

Totally agreed with all of that and I would add to it the possibility of getting Paddleboat Ron instead of Riverboat Ron. Our coaching staff at the start of seasons is almost as unknown as who we will be facing. Which Ron will be leading the team? Aggressive Ron or playing it safe Ron?

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Pretty much. 

Kicking is like golf. So much of it is confidence. Teams need to do all in their power to build it up in their kickers. 

Telling both of them that neither really won the job doesn't exactly inspire it. 

It's setting them both up for failure and an inability to decide doesn't show a strength or weakness of the candidates, it shows a weakness in the decisiveness of the ones making the calls. Not a good (re)start to managing the team.

17 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Pretty much. 

I'm pretty sure that ship sailed the moment we drafted a kicker. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a kicker that he has the full backing of his organization.

The 49ers have a new team. We have a new team. We fans won't know what we have until probably mid-season, and even then the team will continue to evolve.

I feel confident we'll run the ball well against the 49ers. That's a big key to our team winning because Cam is not a high completion % QB, so we need rushing yardage. The 49ers are not so good against the run as they ranked 32nd in 2016. Check one for our column. The biggest factor heading into any Panthers game is our ability to run the ball. Hand the ball directly to play makers like Stew and CMC, and the more times you do that the better the odds of a win.

The Cam to Greg show will continue against the 49ers, and with CMC available if the deep stuff is taken away we should have a decent (not great) passing attack. In the red zone Cam can run or put up a high one to KB, we've got plenty of options.

The thing that scares the hell out of me is our defense. We're relying too much on our pass rush up front, but we're weak in the secondary. We needed to bring in more talent in the secondary, but it didn't happen so even the 49ers might be able to rack up passing yardage. The pass rush has to be dominant to keep things from getting out of hand in the air.

Overall I'm expecting a win, or this forum going into DEFCON 1 because our secondary stunk it up leading to a loss.

Our coaching staff have proven they can game plan, with everything clicking in 2015 we were usually up by 20 at the half. However, even with that group they were very poor at adjusting. 

Well, you can't game plan what you haven't seen. That is what worries me. 

I think that we either trade a kicker or cut one in the next two weeks.  There's nothing one does particularly better than the other--i.e. it's not a Kasay/Lloyd situation.

As far as the 49ers, we're going to run the ball down their throats.  And there's nothing like a few short passes out of the backfield to knock off some rust.  Shanahan may think he knows the Panthers defense, but Steve Wilks is going to bring a decidedly different style than McDermott, and we just plain have more talent.

Archived