• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andy Lee cut. Palardy is our Punter

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

While Juan said well said, you would be wrong. According to actual stats on ESPN, Palardy was 32nd in the NFL with 13 punts inside the 20, which is a good way to measure when punters have shorter fields to work with. He was 31st in number of punts. In fact, he and Lee both had 36 punts and Lee had 18 inside the 20, 5 more than Palardy on the same number of punts.

So, even with more punts inside the 20, Lee was 2nd among punters with 49.1 yards per punt and Palardy was 31st with 42.5 and only 0.1 ahead of Buffalo and 0.6 from the Arizona fiasco.

Maybe we did it to get younger, but Palardy was bottom of the barrel last year and it was not because he had more shorter fields. He was just bad last year. 7 yards per punt is almost giving the offense an extra first down every punt.

Also, I'd guarantee that Lee is going to Arizona. Hopefully this one doesn't bite us in the ass because for 2017, this hurts us unless Palardy becomes a top 10 guy. I hope for us he does. 

If we seriously have to have a top 10 Punter to ensure our success for 2017, then we are already fugged.  I understand the importance of good punting and field position.  But the real goal is to score points and limit the actual times a ball is punted to begin with.  

12 minutes ago, Smithers said:

If we seriously have to have a top 10 Punter to ensure our success for 2017, then we are already fugged.  I understand the importance of good punting and field position.  But the real goal is to score points and limit the actual times a ball is punted to begin with.  

Ask any defensive player if they'd like to be continuously starting drives against offenses with their backs against their own end zone.

A solid punter makes defenses better.

51 minutes ago, TCon said:

You guys are real pieces of work, real classy. Instead of congratulating the young man on beating out a pro bowl punter and wishing him the best, you immediately turn on him. Wow. And for the ill informed poster who said Michael was the worst punter in the NFL last season, untrue. He had more punts inside the 40 and 50 then any punter in the league down the last 5 games. That will shorten the average. There is a reason the Panther coaches kept him.

Punts insid the 40 and 50? What the fug is that? That isn't good field position.  That's like saying a linebacker is good at tackling running backs 40 yards down the field or a quarterback is really good at making tackles after he throws a pick.

59 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Lots of things in the past should have ushered Hurney out of the building, but he kept on shitting out bad draft after bad draft, and overpaying players that don't equate to wins....still couldn't shake him.

This will be no different...JR is happy again.

Hurney is that sleazeball cousin who takes advantage of your grandparents going senile. This will not end well. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ask any defensive player if they'd like to be continuously starting drives against offenses with their backs against their own end zone.

A solid punter makes defenses better.

Read my post.  I said that.  I said I understand that.  Very clearly.  My point was...if we are a top 10 punter away from being a good team, then that means we are spending more times punting than kicking off.  Which mean we aren't a very good team anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Read my post.  I said that.  I said I understand that.  Very clearly.  My point was...if we are a top 10 punter away from being a good team, then that means we are spending more times punting than kicking off.  Which mean we aren't a very good team anyways. 

His average was 5 yards less not much of a difference in field position if you're fielding a top defense.

1 hour ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

People said I was a troll for bashing Gettleman when we traded for Lee. Oops.

This move says nothing about that trade. Might be a different story if Lee has sucked throughout the preseason and/or if Gettlan was the cutting him.

Archived