• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saturday Carolina Panthers Cuts thread

Jeremy Igo

27 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I looked at roster at Panthers.com and counted 49 locks (1 K). Not much room although it wouldn't surprise me if we grabbed someone or two tomorrow. 

Actually, interested in PS. Some guys like Crume, Cox and Gilbert who I hope stick around. We need to replace DA soon. 

The way DA looked this preseason, he shouldn't be here now...

32 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

My understanding has been that any player sent to IR today is eligible for designated return (2 players can return) after 8 weeks on IR.  But I could be wrong....

I still haven't seen a rule, but PFT just posted an article on Tajae Sharpe going to IR that said by placing him on IR before the 53 man roster is set, then he can't be one of the designated to return.  

Just now, jayflip said:

Thanks @Jimmy for working this. 

Eh, it ain't no thing.  I need to get more active around this joint anyways.  3-day weekend, college football on TV, chores can wait until tomorrow, having a beer and looking at football on the computer.  It's easy today.  Thanks though.

40 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Gilbert's play had everything to do with this...They had to know they could stash him on the PS---no longer needed a 3rd QB on the roster.  Then they used the spot to add Clay, a special team player.  I would not be surprised to see Gilbert as the #2 QB by next season.

Not sure Gilbert is eligible for PS.... one of the rules I'm trying to clarify.  Seems like he has been on PS for 3 seasons, even only 1 or 2 games last year.  But even 1 game on PS in 3rd season seems to make him ineligible according to some analysts.  Not sure.

34 minutes ago, xav8tor said:

I haven't found the actual rule yet, but based upon a number of articles about the 2017 change, you are correct. This year, two players placed on IR can return in their eighth week after being out for a min. of six. The old designated to return label can now be used at the time of recall. That's what I got out of the media coverage on the rules change, but the media gonna media, so be forewarned.

Someone answered me on Twitter about some new rule designed to try and stop teams from scamming the IR system and stashing developmental players on the IR.  But no one has provided any verification.

I'm still sticking by my understanding that anyone IRed today CAN be returned to team after 8 weeks... but I've no proof yet either way.

Saturday, September 2

8:28 AM – LB Ben Boulware and OT Blaine Causell are released.

8:52 AM – LB Zeek Bigger waived. Neither Bigger nor Boulware got many reps during the preseason at what is the Panthers’ deepest position; Bigger seems likely for the practice squad if he clears waivers.

9:04 AM – DT Eric Crume, who played well this preseason and may be picked up by another team, and G Chris Scott are waived. Scott has been in the concussion protocol for the last two preseason games.

9:10 AM – C Gino Gradkowski sent to Injured Reserve with a shoulder injury.

9:18 AM – WR Austin Duke and FB Darrel Young are released.

9:28 AM – S Dezmen Southward released. Southward was battling with LJ McCray and Damian Parms for the fourth safety spot.

10:30 AM- P Andy Lee, who was brought in for a fourth round pick, has been released as the Panthers decide to keep left-footed Michael Palardy.

10:41 AM  – WR Brenton Bersin has been placed on IR. Shoulder injury not considered serious, may be a player the Panthers activate later in the year.

10:56 AM – Bryan Cox, Jr has been released, Panthers hope he makes it through waivers and can be put on practice squad.

11:20 AM – Bill Voth reporting that the Panthers have parted ways with QBs Joe Webb and Garrett Gilbert. Also reports that Alex Armah, Kaelin Clay, and Damiere Byrd have made the roster.

https://theriotreport.com/constantly-updating-list-panthers-roster-moves/

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Gilbert's play had everything to do with this...They had to know they could stash him on the PS---no longer needed a 3rd QB on the roster.  Then they used the spot to add Clay, a special team player.  I would not be surprised to see Gilbert as the #2 QB by next season.

I hope that is the plan and it works.

Archived