• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kicks from last night: Butker 5 , Gano 1

Jeremy Igo

I honestly want Gano gone. Hopefully last nights miss will be the end of him but I have a feeling we will keep him over Butker. 

I understand the arguement of having an experienced kicker over a rookie especially in a year where you have a good chance of making    the playoffs. I believe that's the wrong decision because Gano is coming off a bad year in which he hasn't improved.

save the money and cut Gano.

1 hour ago, cookinbrak said:

There were 3 Fg attempts over 50 yards this preseason. Bukter made his, Gano missed both of his. Tell me how they are even?

Not only made his, but it was DEAD center and with plenty of room to spare.  Sealed the game too-giving us a two score lead.

2 hours ago, Catufb85 said:

Gano isn't an elite kicker anymore and because of that hes high priced.  Butkner hasn't done anything to easily say its Gano's job. However, Gano has struggled to make the big kicks for the past several years.

Carolina ranked 26th in FG percentage last year 30/38 78.9%

Carolina ranked 25th in PAT 91.2% 31-34

Gano is the 6th highest paid kicker... (ahead of him Gostkowski, Tucker, Crosby, Janikowski, and Dan Bailey.

Gostkowski 27/32 84.4%

Tucker 38/39 97.4%

Crosby 26/30 86.7%

Janikowski 29/35 82.9%

Dan Bailey 27/34 84.4%

My point here isn't Gano isn't still a good kicker, but not a clutch elite kicker making his 6th highest contract meaningful.

Harrison is a rookie and with only getting 2 FG attempts in 4 preseason games going 2/2 51 and 46.

Gano's big game experience does give him the slight edge over the rookie.  Maybe to keep him we should tell him to take a pay cut until he's rebuilt our trust.

Do NOT doubt the NEGATIVE energy keeping Gano would bring to this ENTIRE team and fanbase.

Butker was drafted for a reason.  It's time.

2 hours ago, bestsportnascar said:

I've been a big Gano supporter. I watched them both down in Spartanburg and Gano was the easy choice to keep. However, watching this preseason and seeing him hit the uprights multiple times.... Something has to happen. I don't think Butker is the answer unless he has greatly improved from that first weekend of training camp. I am highly uncomfortable with the kicking situation right now.

Again, the first weekend in training camp?  Of course the kid has improved!!!  Getting drafted, moving to a new place, new surroundings, teammates, environment, footballs-of course some learning curve should've been expected!

5 minutes ago, Nails said:

Again, the first weekend in training camp?  Of course the kid has improved!!!  Getting drafted, moving to a new place, new surroundings, teammates, environment, footballs-of course some learning curve should've been expected!

While I agree he should have improved, the constant theme from reporters being "this isn't a battle" has made me think it has been very similar since that time. All I have to go on it what reporters have said. If you look at just the preseason games, Butker is the easy choice.

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I think if you look at the situation, with Gano you have a known quantity. He isn't going to suddenly get better, but he does have a track record that a coach can look at and take some confidence from, most of the time. And then you look at last night, especially in light of other times he's failed in the clutch. Last night, he had a fairly long field goal to make -- the game wasn't on the line, but you could say his career might have been. And blam, he blows it. Sometimes kickers miss, but he does seem to be at a point where pressure is getting to him.

But on the other hand (foot), you've got Butker. He's a new kid, fresh out of college with a good leg and he has been doing pretty well (not perfect) in the preseason. He has the opportunity to get better over the next few years and that is a plus, but it also isn't a guarantee. The horrible pick of a kicker last season by the Bucs has to be weighing on their minds -- rookie kickers can kill a team. And we are looking at a short-term championship window here, one that could be lost to a young kicker getting a case of the yips and flaming out. He looks good coming out of preseason, but so did Aguayo last year.

My take is this: Let Gano go and take Butker in. There will be growing pains but it has the better upside for the long term. All good kickers have to start somewhere. While I don't think Gano can get better (and he could get worse fast), Butker is an investment that will hopefully pay off. And if not, they can call up a vet kicker waiting in the wings -- there are always a few out there.

The game was on the line as well by the way.  His miss lost the game.

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

Please litter another thread if all you can muster is "lol no".

The contract isn't big enough nor is it hard to get out of to be considered one of the worst contracts in franchise history. The hyperbole made me muster a "lol no" because it was not a very smart post.

31 minutes ago, Nails said:

The game was on the line as well by the way.  His miss lost the game.

I never think of a preseason game as really being on the line, but I understand what you mean completely. Game, job, career... there was a lot riding on it. And he misses. Again.

Just now, TheRumGone said:

The contract isn't big enough nor is it hard to get out of to be considered one of the worst contracts in franchise history. The hyperbole made me muster a "lol no" because it was not a very smart post.

Don't be daft. It isn't about contract size. It's about historical context. In this discussion, it is our history with kickers. Who have the Carolina Panthers had at the kicker position in franchise history that could be considered consistently reliable beyond John Kasay? We've made 2 of the biggest chokers in franchise history near highest paid at their position (Mare, Gano) in the last 6 years alone. With all that in mind, yes, it is an all time awful contract for our franchise.

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Don't be daft. It isn't about contract size. It's about historical context. In this discussion, it is our history with kickers. Who have the Carolina Panthers had at the kicker position in franchise history that could be considered consistently reliable beyond John Kasay? We've made 2 of the biggest chokers in franchise history near highest paid at their position (Mare, Gano) in the last 6 years alone. With all that in mind, yes, it is an all time awful contract for our franchise.

Lets not forget Kasay's out of bounds kickoff....

21 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I quoted you so everyone can read what you said and what I replied to. As far as our kicker history, yea hurney gave one guy an outrageous contract who had no business getting that deal. Dave gave one to a guy who was clutch and solid for us the year before but now has the yips. Not even a comparison. Not only that but In the grand scheme of things he has a 5 mill cap hit this year and we can save 3.5 mil from cutting him this year so it's not some horrible contract in the grand scheme of things even just from a kicker perspective.

6 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I quoted you so everyone can read what you said and what I replied to. As far as our kicker history, yea hurney gave one guy an outrageous contract who had no business getting that deal. Dave gave one to a guy who was clutch and solid for us the year before but now has the yips. Not even a comparison. Not only that but In the grand scheme of things he has a 5 mill cap hit this year and we can save 3.5 mil from cutting him this year so it's not some horrible contract in the grand scheme of things even just from a kicker perspective.

Not a comparison? Are you high? We gave him more than we gave Mare.

Gano has never been considered "clutch" in his entire career. It's why he got ran out of Washington, and it's why he's about to get ran out of Charlotte.

You're trying way too hard to let Dave off the hook here. He's done many good things for the Panthers, the Gano contract was in no way shape or form one of them. It has hurt our franchise. Period.

Archived