• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kicks from last night: Butker 5 , Gano 1

Jeremy Igo

13 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

He made the extra point kicks. Gano is still trying to figure out how the kid did it.

Gano has missed 6 extra point kicks the last two seasons. 6! For what should be a chip shot everytime.

I just wanted to see Butker kick that 51yd FG because he's the guy we need to learn about. He definitely did a good job on the KO's and extra points though.

Gano isn't an elite kicker anymore and because of that hes high priced.  Butkner hasn't done anything to easily say its Gano's job. However, Gano has struggled to make the big kicks for the past several years.

Carolina ranked 26th in FG percentage last year 30/38 78.9%

Carolina ranked 25th in PAT 91.2% 31-34

Gano is the 6th highest paid kicker... (ahead of him Gostkowski, Tucker, Crosby, Janikowski, and Dan Bailey.

Gostkowski 27/32 84.4%

Tucker 38/39 97.4%

Crosby 26/30 86.7%

Janikowski 29/35 82.9%

Dan Bailey 27/34 84.4%

My point here isn't Gano isn't still a good kicker, but not a clutch elite kicker making his 6th highest contract meaningful.

Harrison is a rookie and with only getting 2 FG attempts in 4 preseason games going 2/2 51 and 46.

Gano's big game experience does give him the slight edge over the rookie.  Maybe to keep him we should tell him to take a pay cut until he's rebuilt our trust.

I've been a big Gano supporter. I watched them both down in Spartanburg and Gano was the easy choice to keep. However, watching this preseason and seeing him hit the uprights multiple times.... Something has to happen. I don't think Butker is the answer unless he has greatly improved from that first weekend of training camp. I am highly uncomfortable with the kicking situation right now.

21 minutes ago, Murph said:

He's paid for two things. The other is to kick it out of the end zone. Rivera got burned too many times with crappy kickoff coverage his first few seasons here. He wants the other team to start on the 25 every time.

Since they moved the kickoffs up, booming it out of the end zone isn't so difficult for everyone anymore. And I'd rather them kick it to the one and force a return.. Even with our terrible special teams coverage haha

I think if you look at the situation, with Gano you have a known quantity. He isn't going to suddenly get better, but he does have a track record that a coach can look at and take some confidence from, most of the time. And then you look at last night, especially in light of other times he's failed in the clutch. Last night, he had a fairly long field goal to make -- the game wasn't on the line, but you could say his career might have been. And blam, he blows it. Sometimes kickers miss, but he does seem to be at a point where pressure is getting to him.

But on the other hand (foot), you've got Butker. He's a new kid, fresh out of college with a good leg and he has been doing pretty well (not perfect) in the preseason. He has the opportunity to get better over the next few years and that is a plus, but it also isn't a guarantee. The horrible pick of a kicker last season by the Bucs has to be weighing on their minds -- rookie kickers can kill a team. And we are looking at a short-term championship window here, one that could be lost to a young kicker getting a case of the yips and flaming out. He looks good coming out of preseason, but so did Aguayo last year.

My take is this: Let Gano go and take Butker in. There will be growing pains but it has the better upside for the long term. All good kickers have to start somewhere. While I don't think Gano can get better (and he could get worse fast), Butker is an investment that will hopefully pay off. And if not, they can call up a vet kicker waiting in the wings -- there are always a few out there.

I still can't believe Gettleman gave Gano the contract that made him one of the highest paid kickers in the league. Another mistake.

Apparently we have two trash kickers. We know Gano falters in the clutch, and I don't know if we can afford to risk games to see if Butker is the man. We're in a tough spot

52 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Sure does seem like the Panthers are wanting to get one final look at Butker before making a decision, huh?

Maybe last night actually did have an effect on the roster. 

There are about 3.5 million reasons I would rather have Butker.  He is kicking out of the endzone and is more accurate.  Other than that, its a dead heat.

Archived