• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Carolina Panthers Cuts Thread

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, ecu88 said:

Confused about Obada? He cannot play thos season but can be on PS so....... no PS?

Me too.

Here's my guess.  (Purely a guess, bit it's all that makes sense to me.)  If we cut him and then add him back to the PS as one of only TEN PS members, I assume  he can be promoted during the season if needed.  He's been looking pretty dang good.  I assume we want the flexibility to promote him if he clears waivers.

1 minute ago, KB_fan said:

Me too.

Here's my guess.  (Purely a guess, bit it's all that makes sense to me.)  If we cut him and then add him back to the PS as one of only TEN PS members, I assume  he can be promoted during the season if needed.  He's been looking pretty dang good.  I assume we want the flexibility to promote him if he clears waivers.

he's not allowed to be on the roster. only eligible for the PS

21 minutes ago, cvlngnir said:

Could it be that these stats mean he is underused instead of not being a quality receiver? He is not the fastest (may be the slowest) but his knowledge of the offense, his route running and his sure hands make him good enough to make the 53 in my mind.

So he's been underused for 5 years? Again 5 years he's been with this team and has been unable to beat out other guys on what's been one of the 5 or so worst receiving corps in the league. I don't hate Bersin like alot of the huddle does, because it's not his fault he keeps making the team, but thats more of a testament to our FO and coaches reluctance to make any sort of upgrades to the position rather than his actual ability

Now he's assured on an extended look with the Panthers as a part of an NFL initiative that awarded one player to each NFC South team through a special practice squad exemption. Obada is set to spend the entire season on Carolina's practice squad. He can't be promoted to the 53-man roster but he also can't be cut from the practice squad – though he said he plans to approach it as if his spot is in jeopardy every day

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Efe-Obada-welcomes-chance-to-develop/6be36ff3-888d-4d43-89ef-195eb3ba6087

So far no real surprises, at least not after the injuries to Sanchez & Williams last night.  As I wrote last night, those injuries came at a terrible time.  We're already so thin at DE with Corn Elder still out.  So we couldn't afford to carry either Sanchez or Williams injured.  Need healthy backup CBs.  I assume one will be Cole Luke, but that we will SIGN SOMEONE!

If not for injury, I assume Teddy Williams would have made roster, which I'm ambivalent about.  Hope we can find someone better... but CB depth is alarming.

Truly biggest surprise for me is cutting Obada who was already safely on the PS as special 11th guy...  I can only guess we want to make him a regular PS guy with chance of promotion to regular roster eventually.

Archived